$37.5K replica | FerrariChat

$37.5K replica

Discussion in '348/355' started by madturk, Dec 19, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
  2. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    I can't help but repeat " The sophistication of Pontiac's Grand Prix instrument panel and other components.."
    Wow

3. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For the love of all that is F355! Nobody bothered to tell this guy that he could have bought a real one for less than it cost him to build this motorized vehicle into what it is today? He still would have had some cash left over to swap the 80's Pontiac interior into it as well.

4. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    The exterior is somewhat convincing (note I said somewhat, clearly there are details that can easily be spotted) but that interior...especially the steering wheel is laughable.

How are these kits/bodies not a copyright/patent violation anyway?

5. ready321now

ready321now Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2013
    New Jersey
    I was once told to not say anything at all if I cant say something nice. I therefore cant comment on this posting.

6. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I believe back in the day Ferrari sued those making kits out of business. If the kits were bad enough, as in not a convincing copy, then they could get away with making them as it wasn't a violation of copyrights.

Anyone know the full story there?

7. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's the best F355 replica I've seen, from the outside at least.

8. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    It's very good, but I still feel he's got the decimal point in the wrong place.....

9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    They are, but the first thing Ferrari does is send a cease and desist letter to start any litigation if the copier does not comply. These guys just set up a company build as many kits as they can before the letter comes then they comply with the order just to pop up again a few days later as a different company. Not much Ferrari can do to really put a full stop to it. They can just make it harder. Lamborghini never pursued any litigation against any kit makers until Audi took over now they are the same as Ferrari.

Another thing is that copy right laws only protect the owner of a design from someone else seeking to make a profit from the protected design. If you want to build any product yourself for your own personal use no company or copy right/ patent holder can stop you. It's just when you try to sell it that the laws come into play for the most part. It's obviously more in depth then that are there are some other recourses for some things but in general they can't stop you from personal use replication.

10. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    In Europe we're starting to take replicas a bit more seriously......

Daimler crushes unauthorized Mercedes-Benz 300 SL body

I think replicas cross the line when they use badges etc to try to 'trick' people into thinking it's an original. I've seen a very good replica of Ferrari 250 California - really was excellent - and what was better was that there wasn't a single Ferrari badge anywhere on it. It was tipping it's cap at a truly epic design, it wasn't pretending to be and original.

11. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #11 driveitdaily, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    and on the other hand , i'm at a car show and this arrives and parks across from me, not replicating any particular ferrari , just was "ferrari like " and had ferrari badges all over it . why? with out the badges it would just be a custom camaro , ugly at that , but wouldn't be attempting to be something it is not .The owner was claiming it to be an f40 replica, lol lol lol !!! when noting about it replicates any part of an f40 . its just plain stupid.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    That me me laugh !

13. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    High mileage and driven in the rain. I'll pass, thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    C'mon guys you know at some point the idea of owning a replica crossed your mind. :) That's a poor looking replica, the door cap looks like ****. It's always the rear wheel offset that gives all replicars away

15. PinoyP

PinoyP Formula 3

Aug 7, 2006
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    AL
    #15 PinoyP, Dec 19, 2014
  16. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    #16 RaginBull, Dec 19, 2014
  17. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Wish Ferrari Classiche could combat these kinds of situations more thoroughly and vigorously. These replicas should be swiftly discredited and denounced. Falsifying something, a Ferrari, a Louis Vuitton handbag, a Rolex whatever, is an offense. It harms customers, clients and everyone in between. In terms of cars, the end result is also always pathethic. Why would one buy these things anyway? They only shout: "I can't have a Ferrari!" beyond any reasonable doubt, to anyone with eyes and ears.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

18. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl

Exactly, there are only two things you can do...either lie and say its real, or admit that its fake. If you lie and get called out, your integrity is blacklisted. Admit that it's fake, you keep your integrity yet what is the point of trying to show off and be proud of something that is fake?

19. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    While I'm not advocating the use of Fieros for something other than what they were intended for, that's some impressive work for sure.

But one thing to consider, in the end the builder spent a lot less than some who bought a "cheap" F355 [sight unseen] off of ebay.

Lastly, they need to ditch the badging.

20. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Well the ad says it would cost " $55,000" to duplicate it .....
    Can't think of what else I would want for that amount ;)

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Are "no needs" 355s down to that price yet?

22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hey...it has dual cup holders! My 355 can't claim that.

23. RaginBull

RaginBull Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    #23 RaginBull, Dec 19, 2014
  24. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    That was a lot of trouble to produce something that isn't even worth as much as a used Corvette. You are really close to Z06 territory at that price.

25. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    You can tell he's just inflating that number like he does all the others in his add. Just trying to justify the price he put on it. I see <20,000 in parts and paint there but a TON of labor.

Honestly that's a very good looking job on a replica. Someone took the time to do it as best they could. obviously the interior does not attempt to replicate the 355 but it is more modern and practical and most of the car has better fit and finish then a Ferrari from the factory to be honest.

I would ditch any badges and get a wide track suspension to ditch those wheel spacers. They look scary.