About to pull trigger on '95 F355 Spider | FerrariChat

About to pull trigger on '95 F355 Spider

Discussion in '348/355' started by janders82, Jan 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    I could really use everyone's advice and welcome all opinions.

I've been searching for a sorted 355 "drivers car" for a while, and think I may have found it! I've looked at a few 355s, most in the $55K-$60K range, but they all seem to be in similar condition one that I've found right at $50K.

- 1995 Spider, 3 pedal car
    - Red/Tan
    - 36K miles
    - Belts have been done previously and doesn't seem to have an immediate need (maybe a - year or two)
    - New Clutch
    - Top in nice shape
    - Valve guides have only been adjusted, but not replaced.
    - Manifolds inspected. one in good shape, one replaced
    - CEL light came on. Cats replaced. problem solved
    - Had strange noise at idle. turned out to be imbalance at fly wheel. Fly wheel replaced
    - only a few rock chips. Slight buffer burn that has been touched up

I'll be buying the car from a reputable Lamborghini/McLaren dealer. They seem to have provided full disclosure on the car.

What do you guys think on the price point given the condition that I described?

Thanks for the help!!!

2. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Honolulu - Seattle - Okinawa
    Full Name:
    Steve
    A assume you are in the USA. Is that correct?

I would have a full PPI done and a compression leakdown done. Some would squawk at that and some would give the same advice. I've never heard of valve guides being "adjusted". It sounds like it has been taken car of pretty well. If the engine is healthy I wouldn't expect to find one better at $50k.

3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    They all are.

As Steve correctly pointed out, a thorough PPI is a must, specially when we're talking about a Spider, more exposed to the elements. Be sure to operate the top and insure it works as designed. And my congratulations on your choice! Hope it all goes according to plan and that you land a deal soon.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Couple of things.

1) Valve guides are not "adjustable".

2) If dealer really meant valves were adjusted, that is also incorrect as valves on a 355 do not require adjustment.

3) Bad cats on a 95 have no effect of CELs. Perhaps they also replaced the O2 sensors which are mounted in the cat inlet tubes. Abad O2 sensor would cause a CEL.

4) 36000 miles on a 95 car with OEM guides is a lot. PPI is a must.

5. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    you assume correctly. Right here in the USA!

I couldn't find anything on valve guides being "adjusted" either. I'll get some clarification on that.

greatly appreciate your feedback. I don't think it makes sense not to do the PPI including a leakdown test. Definitely my next step!

6. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    you know, I have the same thought process as you! They are ALL drivers cars! I guess that term entered my vocab over the past year while searching for my 355.

the top is "operational" but does need a bit of motivation to open/close

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    When you get the PPI, ask them to do the compression and leak down first and get back to you. That way, if the numbers are bad you can save a few buck by telling them not to go forward if you decide not to buy the car at that point.

8. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    Flywheel is expensive glad they did it,if the engine runs good and doesn't smoke,burn Oil , miss at idle etc just buy and enjoy. Drive it to redline a lot and whatever compression numbers it had will now be better.☺☺

Headers blow on all of them that's nothing to worry about if replaced in a timely fashion.

9. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA

definitely need clarification on the valve guides.

it had an issue with passing emissions. CEL went away after cats were replaced and now passes with no issues. I'll check on the o2 sensor. thanks!

I'll be scheduling the PPI tomorrow!

10. ADSA95

ADSA95 Karting

Nov 28, 2010
    Bedford, NH
    $50k is right.... Buy it drive it and enjoy.

11. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Did it fail a tailpipe sniffer test? Bad cats will cause that. If you had an OBDII car it would be a different process.

12. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    In my humble opinion you definately should seek clarification regarding those allegedly adjusted valve guides.

I'm not the mechanical sort of guy but shouldn't exhaust manifolds be replaced in pairs? If one is in bad shape, why not replace them both and ensure a troublefree foreseeable future?

Kind regards,

Nuno.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    As I said, bad cats on a 95 have nothing to do with CELs. However, they would cause emissions problems on a sniff test, which is required for OBD I cars. Bad O2 sensors would cause a CEL and could also result in a failed sniff test. Also on OBD I cars CELs sometimes come and go away by themselves, depending on the severity of the problem. If the ECU has not been reset any codes should still be in them, even if the CEL is off. Have the guy doing the PPI check the ECUS for stored codes.

14. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi janders
    I'm a 355 GTS owner from NJ , I know a better 355 for you !!!!! You will love it , fantastic history no BS Red/Tan stick spider
    Can I call you? Mike C

15. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    no, but you can PM me or provide the VIN to the 355 you have for sale. Do you have it advertised anywhere? Can you provide a link?

Sorry, I have a good nose for BS and responses like the one you just gave stink!

16. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm just trying to help you with no strings attached , I don't need the money LOL
    My friend owns ones of the largest Dealerships around and the car just became avail
    That's all that's going on :). Mike

17. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    ok, Mike. I'm open to what you have to offer. Can you PM me with your number? I'll give you a shout tomorrow. if you have any pics that would be great!

thanks

18. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi Future 355 Brother
    I'm here to help you ( free!! Haha) my 355 Brother, this would be a great car for you !!
    If you want my help with an introduction to the owner it would be my pleasure to help.
    Take a look at the ( classic coach Ferrari web site) in Elizabeth NJ , there reputation is PLATINUM!!!! They were Blessed by Enzo Ferrari himself in 1972
    ZFFXR48A8V0107461. 1997 355 spider Red/Tan Stick with 22,848. Car is in sweet cond!
    I think maybe $ 63,000 ish!!! You can not be in better hands then these guys!!
    If you come to NJ to look at the car I'd love to go with you
    Keep me posted , hope this helps :)

19. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    ccferrari.com Classic Coach Ferrari Elizabeth NJ

20. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #20 F355steve, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is this you? Only time I've heard this kind of hard sell is from a car salesman... and once from a vacuum salesman. Most F355 owners would be throwing out huge disclaimers about buying a F355.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

21. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The 355 is the best looking Ferrari in many of our opinions and a true value !!
    The guy wanted a good 355 spider so I told him where a beautiful one is
    I'm sorry that we can't all afford an F-40 like you , you deserve friends like yourself Lol
    Have a great day :)

22. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    EXACTLY! thought I was the only one thinking this...

Mike - no offense, and i appreciate the help/offer, but it does seem a bit like a sales pitch for a car sitting with a dealer. I was open at first since I thought you personally owned the car you were pitching. I'm having no problem finding 355s in the $60K-$70K price range.

23. janders82

janders82 Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    OK, so I've reached out to a guy that was recommended on FChat and comes with a stellar rep. Apparently he has serviced the car in the past, so I'm hoping to schedule a PPI and compression/leak down with him this week...fingers crossed!

24. michael craig

michael craig Karting

Jan 28, 2013
    NYC-Area
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks :) I think this car is possibly $ 63,000 ish I'm just saying this because I was at there Christmas party ( as many F chatters were) and thought it was a very nice car
    Send me a pm if u want and I'll call you if u want to chat , have a great day :)
    I love talking to other 355 guys

25. F355steve

F355steve Formula 3

Apr 9, 2008
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No, you weren't the only one. Just no one else was speaking up so I felt I needed to reassure you that you are correct.