Alpine Radio Update | FerrariChat

Alpine Radio Update

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robb, Jan 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #1 Robb, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I had this modern alpine unit put in to replace a really old unit (also from alpine circa 2002.) I have the radio delete plate but for now will keep the alpine with green lights, in for roadtrips. It matches the interior green gauge lights perfectly.

I haven't listened to the radio though the last 600 miles... Or more.

But if you are thinking about replacing your radio, I like the clean look of this one. It doesn't remind me of Star Trek, annoy me with crazy graphics, and is black not silver. It has satellite radio and HD. I use my iPhone to play music, but with the car, the radio really doesn't get much use.

Robb
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #2 Robb, Jan 29, 2015
  3. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I haven't figured out how to make the main large display green but that would be the best.

Robb

4. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Sorry Robb, it looks horrible. With the money and time you're spending to make your car absolutely original, you only have 2(.5) choices: #1 Delete plate; #2 Orig. Sony; or the .5 choice that I made: A 360 radio. (It looks right, even if it isn't.) But it sure looks better than the wanna be jukebox that was in the car when I bought it.

5. Fast mustang

Fast mustang Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Island lake Il
    Full Name:
    Ron
    The kenwoods are nice you can change the display and button colors to what ever color your car has and even custom color to make it exact match

6. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    If I went aftermarket, I would also go for a uncluttered Alpine but opt for a mechless unit (no cd) with or without Sat radio. I also have a 430 radio which I may install short-term.

Another head-unit I find interesting is the Parrot Asteroid line of Android stereos. They discontinued a single-DIN unit which was the first app-style in-dash unit I have ever seen, getting to market ahead of Apple CarPlay which will probably be everywhere in 3-5 years.

More than likely though, I will go radio delete but with a small amp in the front right factory cd changer location connected to a bluetooth receiver to receive tunes from Apple or Android (either Pandora or music resident on my phone).

If I found a solution to display engine and overall vehicle health parameters onto a DIN-sized display, I might be interested in doing that in the stock radio location. But the O/S would have to be skinnable for color (to Rob's point above) and content (maybe a Ferrari startup logo).

That is a project that is still a few years down the road for me.

7. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
  8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Robb, why did you replace the old Alpine? I like the look of the vintage ones myself. Seems period correct and like you mentioned lights up green so I will probably leave the one in my car.

9. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    I did a bunch of searching and Nakamichi makes head units that appear to match nicely. The Alpine is a little shiny for my taste where the Nakamachi has a dull stock look.

10. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    Right on ! When i bought my car it had the original crap sony and two crap door speakers. Not for me , i like the engine sound too , but sometimes you need tunes. I found the top of the line late 90's , maybe 2000's alpine ?. New enough to accept a sat input but with period correct looks and then went with what would have been period correct high end stuff . A/D/S ph15 amps and A/D/S speakers and subs and all the associated a/d/s crossovers and components , the whole integrated system, the way a/d/s intended it. It looks right (although most is hidden) and the sound of that old school stuff is pure , clean and unrivaled by today's crap .

11. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #11 Robb, Jan 29, 2015
    Lol.

The '95's actually came with no radio in the U.S. - hence my original radio delete plate. The Sony unit started for '96.

That radio or the 360 unit that started in late '99 f355's as well do look good.

There was a radio provided in Europe shown in the '94 and '95 brochures that looks good.

I have never seen one for sale in the states...

The older alpine unit from 2002 was gray and silver which looked totally out of place in the cabin especially with all the black...

Our '97 GTS has a newer radio that screams Star Trek... So we will be looking for a Sony OEM radio for that car soon.

See the attached photo from the european '94 cars and even the '95 U.S. brochure. But none were ever delivered with that unit... Looks great though. :) Maybe I'll find one in my search.

Robb

12. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    If you are looking for period correct looks there are a number of Porsche units from Becker from the same era that would look good. They went to Becker in 1997 and share the same units in the early 2000's with the 360. The CDR 220 is a decent head unit and always have a selection available on EBay. Of course you would want to have someone change the name on the front. :)

13. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    A radio is so easy to change.

I find it funny that there seems to be an opinion here that you want to drive and "look at your stereo" instead of being able to enjoy it.

An up to date head unit has so many more features you can enjoy. Blue tooth, hands free phone, and pandora.

If you really think you need a concours stereo....just change it back. I put updated units in nearly ever car I have and the difference is amazing.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    +1 Tim.

I would like to find the '94-'95 radio to have available in the box, but I picked up the radio delete plate since that is how the car was actually delivered from the factory.

It's great to have options. And I do like Bluetooth. Only an hour or less to swap back to another configuration.

Robb

15. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Becker units also came in some 355s. According to FNA my car came with a Becker BE4372 which also came in some 360s.

I'm kind of glad, because of all the options out there, I think that one looks best in the F355.

I was able to get one from a member here, it's awaiting installation.

There are others for sale like this one.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-parts-collectibles/474166-oem-becker-radio-360-a.html

You can also send it to Becker auto sound in NJ and have them add an aux input or iPod cable for $100

16. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The Becker unit was only available in '99 F355's.

So I'm sticking with my multiple options:

1. OEM Radio Blank Plate
    2. Searching for an OEM radio from '94-'95 shown in the brochure -euro market only
    3. Using modern Alpine unit...

I don't see a need for putting in the Becker, or any other radio used in different models. :)

Robb

17. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    Yep, that is the exact one in my 996tt, a CDR 220 except it doesn't have "Ferrari" on the front. :)

18. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Although not cheap, but less than a major, I am considering the Pioneer DEXP99RS. It just looks like it belongs in a high end car

19. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Why do nearly all of your replies say...."it just LOOKS...."

Souldn't they say ...."it sounds...or functions?"

New BT will send tunes and Waze warnings through the stereo.

You guys are making Ferrari ownership the ultimate vanity.

Next you will be saying...."Does my 355 make me look Fat?"

They only came from the factory with skinny F1 male models. Do each of you fit that category too?

20. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    The funny thing is that the stereos on these cars - especially OEM without adding a bunch of boom-boxes and filling up your trunk with amps and bass speakers...

Are nothing to get excited about. Especially with an engine even at low rpm's.

The sound is not bad but other than long road trips - the radio is not that useful anyway.

We definitely bought our F355's because they are beautiful on the outside and clean in the inside cabin. :)

So nothing wrong with finding the year correct unit - especially if it's included with a gorgeous brunette in the second seat.

Robb

21. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    My car is a 97 model year built in 1996. An FNA representative did some research and was able to tell me with specificity that the car came from the factory with the Becker unit. He was also able to tell that it did not come with the CD changer.

He also referred to the Sony unit as an "option".

22. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    #22 judd10, Jan 31, 2015
    I had the factory Sony in my '99, but them upgraded to the Becker Cascade BE6112 and absolutely love it! Noticeably better sound even with the existing speakers... Bluetooth, iPod connector and navigation... and I think it matches the car well.

23. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    First time I've seen that. I think that looks great and is IMHO the best looking option for a more modern unit.

24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    That looks great. Where did you get it from and how much?

Thank you

25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Does anyone know if a factory cd player can be hooked up to all OEM radios?

When did Ferrari start offering cd players as an option?