A USD$300k 348?? | FerrariChat

A USD$300k 348??

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dazzling, Mar 1, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430-Scuderia

F430-Scuderia Karting

Feb 22, 2015
    Italy
    Full Name:
    Manny
    #2 F430-Scuderia, Mar 1, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    It may seem like a hefty price for a 348 but only 50 were made and God knows how many survived in good conditions or as-delivered!IIRC the Sultan of Brunei had two with delivery mileage!
    Lembi Supercars in Italy has RECENTLY sold car #48/50 (Sultan of Brunei's has/had #3 and #50),a 10000mls mint,Ferrari-checked specimen for €65000/£44500.....too bad I didn't know about that...I'd have called them more often!
    Cheers
    Manny
    ::: LEMBI AUTOMOBILI ::: Lembi vendita auto supersportive

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  4. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    One just sold only a few weeks ago here in the UK for half that price at £100,000 pounds. I don't know the details but sure is interesting.

5. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I thought the last one sold was over a year ago? Where did that one sell? ;)

6. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    that indeed is THE 348 to have....if not one of THE F cars in my books (among some of the greatest).....only 8 RHD ever made and i think that asking price for a mint is pretty low!!!
    were the two Brunei cars RHDs as well? so that's 2 out of the 8 in the Sultan's garage? any idea where they are now?

7. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    I thought the 2 Brunei cars were RHD also but the link above shows a LHD car.

The UK delivered 8 are not the only RHD cars, as there was one to Singapore also (#8) and these are in addition to the Brunei cars. Therefore somewhere between 9 and 11 RHD versions :)

8. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    curious... are those rod systems available to replace our cable shift linkage? anyone ever tried it?

9. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Rods are race GTC's not road (advert is incorrect) :)

10. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That was here in the UK.

11. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Yes I know...I meant where as in dealer? I haven't seen one for sale since that one a year ago :eek:

12. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Darren, not sure who was selling it but was quite recent. I’m quite certain it was a Challenge and not a Series Speciale.

Cheers.

Peter

13. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Yes it might have been a challenge but a GTC is different again :) as is a series speciale ;)

14. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    There are 45 factory challenge cars - 19 of which were not raced. There were 50 Competizione cars. Depending on which challenge parts are on the car, the Factory Challenge can be configured nearly identically to the Competizione. Consequently, both of these can command a significant premium over regular 348s. The only thing is that 348 Challenge parts are just about unobtanium now so if the Challenge car has no parts with it, it won't get quite the premium that the Competizione will get.

15. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    were both the challenge and competizione cars meant to be raced in the same one make series? ...GTC refers to both or just the latter? thanks

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The 50 Competizione cars were not raced to the best of my knowledge. They were sort of a special edition homage to the LM and IMSA cars. Also the 45 Factory Challenge cars were raced in the US Challenge series.

17. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    thanks once again...however i still a few questions because i could never get around the GTC and challenge cars! pretty confusing! lol....

so the Challenge cars are all US cars and thus LHD (like the SS)?? out of the 45, 19 weren't raced?
    and there is this list of total 348s made....i never see the Challenge cars mentioned (the GTC cars are always mentioned and figured at 50), so were they (the Challenge) included under the GTB/TB group?

18. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    <br />n
    <br />
    Rods are race GTC's not road (advert is incorrect) :)<br/>

I'm talking about the shift linkage.. not the cars themselves.

19. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    #20 sherpa23, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
    The 45 Factory Challenge cars are all US cars and they're the only Challenge cars that were built at the factory and not converted by dealers. There are more 348s that you will see labeled as Challenge cars that were regular TS/TB cars that were converted by dealers or whoever if it was international. While the Factory Challenge cars have a ton of "hot rod" parts from the factory, I was told by someone who raced the world finals that the Italians had the fastest 348s and their cars were all specially prepped by Michelotto and had a bit more power (he estimated it at 20 hp).

Of those 45 Factory Challenge cars, 19 were not raced. I have a list of all the cars that raced in the North American Challenge series but other than that, I'm not sure what numbers are out there.

Also, the Competizione models, which are completely unrelated to the 11 GT Competizione cars that were raced and additional two cars that raced at Le Mans, numbered at 56 (not 50 that I said before) and 8 were RHD.

As I said, the Competizione were basically the Europeans' version of the US market received as the Factory Challenge car, although they still a little different.

20. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    Yes....so am I :confused: Only the race GTC's have Rods, road GTC'S are cables....same as all other 348's :)

21. Dazzling

Dazzling Formula 3

Nov 18, 2010
    Adelaide
    Full Name:
    Darren
    There were 11 race GTC's (not totally unrelated to the road GTC's btw), there are only 50 road GTC's, not 56, that one is like a oft repeated mistake, shows up one place then keeps coming back over and over like a broken record, but there is absolutely no evidence that 56 road GTC's exist (other than internet rumours).

The GTC cars were quite different to the Challenge cars in a variety of ways and I would not describe them as a European version (not to mention that there was a European challenge series anyway and the GTC's were not a part of it :))

22. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia

thanks for the info.....cheers....

23. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
  24. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's the one I was thinking of earlier on in this thread that was on sale for £100k. So many versions:)