Sport suspension setting | FerrariChat

Sport suspension setting

Discussion in '348/355' started by andrew911, Apr 17, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I noticed when I press the sport switch a yellow light with a S and shock absorber comes on. I presume that means the car is in sport mode (a yellow sport light came on in my prior 360 as well)- but a dumb question- my owner's manual says a light comes on when the car is in comfort setting (1997 F355)...I just played with the switch on a short drive tonight so didn't get a chance to see if I actually feel the difference, but just want to double check that there isn't some Italian word for comfort that starts with "S" (I can think of an English word that I guess you could argue gives comfort, but won't post it here as I don't want people to think my mind is in the gutter). It seems the manual may have it wrong, but just want to check here :)

To further confuse things, I also note the manual says the switch is pushed forward in sport mode, but on mine I need to pull the switch back to get the S light to illuminate, again assuming S indicates the Sport setting.

By the way, I went to get ice cream in my flip flops (the weather her is great)- I wound her out in the first 4 gears driving in bare feet (great pedal feel in bare feet and the cross drilled pedals feel great) with the top down....the only thing I can think of that would be better after a hard week of work is repeating the same with the Tubi in my basement installed (hopefully getting it put on in 2 weeks)!! Lovin' the car so far! At some point I'm going to do a write up of the F355 spider vs. my prior 360 coupe.

2. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I think in 95 light off was sport mode, and in 96-99 it was the opposite. My 95 is light off for sport.

Glad you like the car! Would love to hear your impression of the different cars.

3. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    As soon as I have a little time in the coming days I'll post my thoughts- wish I could have both cars at the same time :)

4. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    I took the car on a great morning drive! I love the sound especially with the top down!!

Anyway, I noticed the yellow light that comes on when pulling the switch forward is just a picture of a shock absorber, with no letter s. I don't really notice a difference- in fact the suspension might even soften up a bit. I didn't play around with it too much and just left it in the position with the light off, mostly because I didn't want to see the light on (Too similar in look in the background as a check engine light :) )

On my 360 there was a quite noticeable difference in ride when put into sport mode (actually a little too stiff for the road, although I did like the later intervention of traction control when the 360 was in sport mode. Best setting would have been suspension in normal, traction in sport)

5. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #5 Steve355F1, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Is your light either of the ones marked 1 and 2 below?

In my 98 F1, the light marked "sport" (number 1) is on when in sport mode.

The other light (number 2) is a failure warning light.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    been asked hundreds of times - conclusion is no one really knows despite what the owners manuals say - I cant feel a different in either setting

7. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    It's called the placebo button.

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    haha - that answer shld be made into a sticky! well done

9. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That's because the settings will adapt to how you are driving the car regardless of what mode you have selected.

In other words, if you are driving aggressively in comfort mode everything will firm up anyway, so if you then select sport you probably won't notice any significant difference.

10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Pre 98 have a picture of a shock that lights up. When it's lit it is comfort mode. 98+ have the word sport. When it is lit it is obviously sport mode.

11. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    You have to love Italian sports machines.
    They do this surely to confuse us all.

12. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    I can't tell the difference in ride when using SPORT mode. I don't get the shock absorber warning light, so I'm assuming they still work.

The car handles well and feels nimble, but the ride is super soft by sports car standards. SPORT mode or not!

13. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    This seems to be the case- that maybe 98 was when they did a 180 degree change and made the light come on when it is in sport mode and changed the light to say "sport" vs my car (a 1997 model) where the light is in the same left hand location on the dash but is a picture of a shock absorber- the picture lights up when the switch is pulled back. So bizarre- the switch has a picture of a shock and the letter "s"- maybe the "s" stands for "soft" or "suspension" in the 95-97 cars?

Like I said earlier, I do think I notice it feels a bit softer when I engage the switch, but in normal mode (i.e. the firmer setting in my car) it is not that hard so I don't think I'll touch it any more. The F355 spider in firmer/sport mode is still softer than my 360 coupe was in normal mode. 360 sport was noticeably harder riding, actually on public roads (i.e. not a glass flat racetrack) it handled better in non-sport because sport was a little too stiff if there were any bumps.

Yes- they tried to make things easier with the 360/550 generation but of course those have other weirdness, like retaining the "stop" button on the HVAC, very strange radio functions, etc...

14. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I can feel the difference in suspension somewhat when I'm in sport mode on my '98... but it's *very* clear that you're in sport mode with the F1 shifting. Redline shifts in sport mode kick so hard it'll throw your head back and blur your vision. So for the F1s out there, it's definitely not a placebo button. ;)

15. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed. :)

The car is definitely firmer, but there's not a lot in it.

16. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I remember reading a while back a post from someone knowledgable that the switch only affects the shocks rebound, and not the initial impact from a bump. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Sorry I don't know the right terms.

17. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I've never heard of this... Can anyone confirm?

18. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Your post just helped me figure out Ferrari's logic! 1998 was the first production year the F1 was offered in the 355, and the sport mode is supposed to firm up the suspension AND for F1 equipped cars make the shifts faster! My guess is the thought process by the factory was the suspension switch may have originally been offered as a way to soften the car vs. the default firmer setting (by default I mean switch kept forward, no indicator light on the dash), and a driver could toggle the switch back, illuminate the light and drive over pot holes or whatnot...but with the advent of the F1 they then decided didn't want the "default setting" having neck jarring F1 shifts...they figured to have the driver toggle the switch back, illuminate the Sport light to indicate if they floor it they will have lots of fun and eventually a sore neck due to the firmer shifts (along with the firmer shock setting).

Ferrari probably wanted to make the change uniform for all 355s (and then later cars as F1 were the bigger sellers when new) so it was applied across the board. Scary, I think I understand the Italian logic in all this... I'm 75% Italian, but my family has been in the US for >100 years, so I guess it just takes me a little bit longer than normal to figure some of this stuff out :)

I had a stick 360, so similar to a stick 355, operation in a sport mode merely has the suspension operate in the stiffer mode (as I mentioned earlier, the selecting sport also had the ASR traction control kick in a little later, which of course is not applicable in the 355 since no traction control). The F1 360s and all later cars definitely have a faster shift in sport mode as well.

19. GTSNJ

GTSNJ Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2015
    I brought this up a few months back and we got a good answer from rifledriver.

Having owned both a 99 f1 and a 95 gts, the switches do different things as noted in this thread (opposites).

I still think it makes a difference in the turn in feel and many people who have driven both of my cars have complemented the difference between both modes, so I doubt it is placebo.

Either way the car is fun, sport mode just makes it raw (much more pronouced on the f1 because of the neck snapping shifts) cost me a motor mount back in the day. lol

20. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I have heard of this characteristic in this section, but not sure how the shock sensors work and don't have a link.

When I was less young and stupid I had a 1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe that had adjustable suspension, and in soft mode if you hit the gas hard, hit the brakes hard, hit the gas hard, or whacked on the suspension the shocks would instantly stiffen up, VERY noticeable. For a big American GT car with a tiny 2.3l 4-cyl turbo motor it was actually pretty quick back in the good old days. Bought it from my best friend who is now gone sadly.

I was wrong earlier about the years of light on/light off production, someone else posted the correct years above.

21. Steve355F1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #21 Steve355F1, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A mechanic explained to me once that if you accelerate and brake rapidly the ECU will firm everything up regardless of the switch position. The owners manual doesn't do a great job of explaining it (of course) but here's a little bit about it. There is more in other sections of the manual.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    i cant either...I call the suspension light (#2 in diagram ) the mach 5 light...looks like speed racer is about to launch...only cam on when I hit the key to many times without driving it...havent seen it since

23. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I'd like to revise my previous statement...
    Initially after buying the car (almost 2 years ago) I kept it in comfort mode 24/7. I would put it into sport here and there, but mostly wanted to get a feel for the car (my first non-AWD in 15 years) before getting "rampante" with it.
    Recently I've been driving in sport mode 24/7. We just did our annual chapter drive of around 400 miles, so I was in the car a significant amount of time in sport mode.
    Today I went for a quick ride and put it in comfort mode. Wow. I guess I've really gotten used to it in sport mode, as turns that I take every day which normally feel tight and responsive suddenly felt mushy with much understeer.
    So yeah, I can *definitely* feel the difference in both shifting and suspension between the two modes.

24. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    my 96 has the light on in comfort mode. I can definetly tell a difference between sport and comfort.

25. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I too can feel the difference between both.

Many believe the dampers to be "active dampening," where damper settings are adjusted on the fly to the current road condition. The 355 suspension in reality is "adaptive dampening," where the ecu absorbs a sample of the road condition AND THEN adjusts its settings and assumes the road will be continue to be this way. In other words, the dampening adjustment response is lagged a bit and not always accurate as it is using past road information to guess future road condition. It's like driving a car down a winding road in reverse trying to gauge what the road will be like based on what you see right now.