Problem with Lights lifting device | FerrariChat

Problem with Lights lifting device

Discussion in '348/355' started by Serch, May 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    Hello.

My name is Sergio, spanish, excuse my poor english!!!

I have a problem with de Lights lifting device, the right dont down...

Can tell me where I can find the schematic of the motor...

I view three connectors... a brown (with 2 pin); another black with another 2 pin and another with only one pin....

Thx, Sergio

2. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Hi Sergio,

See the two diagrams. Relay "h" controls the Left Headlamp, relay "i" the Right; the relevant fuses are 3 and 4 respectively. Check the fuses and make sure that the relays are good and the CORRECT TYPE, i.e. relays that have output contacts 87 & 87a (when not energised, 87 disconnected from 30, 87a connected to 30; when energised, the other way round).

If this does not solve the problem, check the diodes at the motor park switch shown on the detail to the left of the motor "M". The diodes are the two things shown as ----|>|---- (in vertical orientation on the diagram). I have not done any work on my headlamp motors but I presume that the park switch is integrated with the motor and the diodes are somewhere inside (on some motors they are outside and easy to change). If one of the diodes is blown, the motor will run in one direction but not in the other. If you manage to access the diodes, try to read their numbers (like 1N5404 or similar) then you can get them from any radio shop. Otherwise, any diode will do as long as it is similar in size or bigger (similar or bigger Ampere).

3. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #3 m.stojanovic, May 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    Thank you, m.stojanovic.

Can tell me where is located the electric box of control the lights lifting??

Great schematic... do you have the completed schematic?? Can you pass me it??

I'm a new user of this car and I'd like repair myself...

(I have more problems with the car :) )

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    You can download the 348 Workshop Manual from All Ferraris. It also contains complete wiring diagrams. Also search for and download the 348 Owner's Manual if you don't already have one. Both are free downloads.

You can find the location of all the fuses and relays and their functions in either of the manuals. Otherwise, one Fuse/Relay panel is in the passenger side footwell (under the carpet) and the other is in the boot.

As a quick check of the headlamp motor relays, you can swap them and, if the problem moves to the other headlamp, then one of the relays is either bad or a wrong type. If the problem does not move (and the fuses are good) then look at the diodes in the malfunctioning motor.

Cheers, M. Stojanovic.

6. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    Thank you!!!

7. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    Hello Stojanovic.

I already check my Lights lifting and the motor is OK. If I put 12V in the possitive and negative of the motor, it rotate.

But one of the two limit switch, dont work. Has anyone been able to repair the limit switches ??

Thx, Sergio

8. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #8 m.stojanovic, May 14, 2015
    Hi Sergio,

The problem is most likely in the diodes, not in the limit switches. You can do an easy test of the diodes/switches as follows:

Disconnect both motor connectors. Turn the knob for manual retraction of the headlamp until the headlamp is approximately halfway between "up" and "down". Connect a multimeter set at Ohm reading (analogue is easier to read for this measurement), red multimeter probe to the Brown wire and the black multimeter probe to the Violet and then to the Green/Black wire. The readings should be the same when touching Violet or Green/Black - you should have continuity (the multimeter needle goes to the right) in both cases. If you don't have the continuity on one of the wires, the Violet or the Green/Black, either the diode or the limit switch to which that wire goes is bad. Usually it is the diode.

The pics below show the motor, its rubbery cover and how to peel the cover to access the diodes. Then you can check the diodes again with the multimeter: black probe to the leg of the diode at its black side, red probe to the leg of the diode at the side which has a silver stripe. If there is no continuity, the diode is bad. You can then replace it with a diode 1N4004, 1N4005, 1N4005 or 1N4007 (whichever you find in radio shops).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    #9 Serch, May 14, 2015
    Last edited: May 14, 2015
    I will try to disassemble (take to pieces) the motor but I see no way how i can to do it, I do not see any screw ... the engine is painted with a rare ...

I try to make some pictures ..

10. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    A few pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  12. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    Thx.

As you can see, one of the connector are broken... I rebuilt it.

I hope that the motor work ok...

PD. How I put the picture in the post??

13. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    After you type the message, scroll way down below "Submit Reply" and click on "Manage Attachments".

Good you found the problem, nice "transplant" work.

14. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #14 drbob101, May 19, 2015
    Qavion likes this.
  15. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    Thx Bob.

I'm a new user of the forum...

Glad I can help you with these pictures.

16. Serch

Serch Rookie

Apr 23, 2015
    Spain
    Well.

I can confirm that the motor is working fine !!!

Thx you.

Now, to another problem...