Prebuy advice please | FerrariChat

Prebuy advice please

Discussion in '348/355' started by Asta, May 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Asta

Asta Karting

Mar 29, 2014
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Test drove a nice 355 yesterday but the check engine light came on.

I retained a highly respected Ferrari mechanic to do the PPI next week. Presumably he'll get to the bottom of the CEL.

To my surprise, however, he didn't seem to think that a compression / leak down test was necessary. Since the exhaust valve sleeves were never replaced I would have thought a compression test would be necessary. What do you guys think? The car starts and idles with no smoke and pulls strong in every gear.

This is a fairly low mileage example with a solid service history. The seller is asking over market, so I would expect the car to be pretty much perfect with no stories.

2. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    I'd get the leakdown and compression tests done regardless of what the mechanic says, but that's just me...

3. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Asta I would have one done for sure
    Sorta a standard deal with a PPI

4. Asta

Asta Karting

Mar 29, 2014
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think you guys are right. I'll get it done.

5. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agree with getting it done

6. 0.0.1.99

0.0.1.99 Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2012
    Carolinas
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Of course, for most the leakdown is optional depending on the results of the compression test...

7. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I bought my 1997B with no PPI.
    but I had a lot of history on the car and it had the valve guides done.

when I got the the car to my mechanic he forgoed the leakdown after the compression results were solid and even.

definitely get the CEL looked at.
    and since you know the valve guides weren't done a compression and leakdown would be ideal in your case.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Getting some values for compression is always good because it gives you a baseline. The next time you get a compression test done, you can see if there is any significant degradation.

If you plan on doing some of the maintenance yourself, I wouldn't go for the cheapest compression tester on eBay. Get a quality one.

Cheers

9. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    U need to get someone else to do the PPI, his comment that u don't need one shows he is not familiar with the model.

10. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I was thinking the same as above, also you might post in the NYC regional area and find a close by F chatter to talk to. Might go with you when the PPI is getting done or know a mechanic familiar with the 355, hell might even find a new friend or two also ;)

11. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    ! Or has a relationship with the seller

Compression and leakdown are both required, they tell different stories to those that know how to take and read them

"Pulls strong" based on what size sample group and conditions there in?

12. ASK328

ASK328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 23, 2005
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I defer to u sir.

It's wonderful to have u back. :)

13. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Dave,
    I got very good results on the leak down for my PPI. ('96 355 with replaced guides.) The shop said that compression test wasn't necessary. I know (imagine) that the shop had a backlog, and really didn't want to spend more time on a car that would leave the area.
    May I please have your thoughts?

14. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I had two 348s, and the check engine lights came on so frequently, I eventually placed a band aid over each one.

That pretty well did the trick.

15. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Leakdown is good start to see how everything is sealing. Still good to have compression as a dynamic rather than static test as a problem here could still reveal a valve problem or incorrect valve timing. (compression low on one cylinder? high on one bank?).

That being said I didn't do a PPI on the 95 that I bought. If it becomes a problem I will fix it or just do the heads during the next service.

16. davehelms

davehelms F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2004
    Full Name:
    Dave Helms
    James nailed part of it, valve timing problems are instantly identifiable with a compression test.

Low leak down - low compression = hydraulic lifter problems not opening the valves as well as they are supposed to.

There are at least 15 different conditions that can be identified by variations of both tests, performed at the same time with like conditions. To suggest these are not required is simple foolishness.

BINGO Vracer..... how complete of a test/PPI would you imagine you are getting when a shop is being paid to find everything wrong with what was a customers of theirs car, possibly critiquing their own work, that is now leaving town and wont be a profit center in the future?

The ppi system had problems, some quite perplexing BUT.... fixable. That is until the Net Chat Room Mob Mentality started with the litigation threats and character assignation if something was missed on a few hundred dollar check over! NOW you get nothing worth paying for as a result.... its as simple as that. Those with half a brain would never expose themselves to something with this level of liability.... why would you... and for a few hundred dollars?!

The net result of the NCRMM syndrome, regarding ppi's, is the entire system now needs a reboot with a whole new set of rules and expectations. What once was the most powerful and important tool that a prospective owner could ever wish for... no longer exists on a level worth paying for.

17. Asta

Asta Karting

Mar 29, 2014
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Rob
    In my case the mechanic I hired for the PPI is uncomfortable doing the compression test at the seller's shop so he won't do it unless they flatbed the car to his own shop.

The seller, however, said it is their policy that only they do the compression test and moreover would charge me for it in the event I do not buy the car. That struck me as a little fishy.

As a compromise I suggested that the seller's shop do it while my mechanic oversees it.

18. IAmNotCasey

IAmNotCasey Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2014
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Casey Duncan
    Having then do it, and charge you for it is lame. If you go forward with it, I would recommend being there yourself along with your mechanic. I'm not sure why your mechanic couldn't do it at the other shop, it's not something that requires a whole lot of tools. Could be a liability thing I suppose.

19. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Dave, if I owned a shop, I might not do them either; I understand. That said, anything is better than nothing - even though no PPI can possibly spot every potential problem.

20. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What? Dave Helms is still posting? Welcome back, sir.