possible sticky part solution | FerrariChat

possible sticky part solution

Discussion in '348/355' started by trentw, Jun 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trentw

trentw Karting

Jul 25, 2005
    Ho-Ho-Kus, NJ
    Full Name:
    Warren Trent
    I just came across a possible sticky part solution by accident. I haven't worked on my car for a very (very) long time but recently got energized to get back to it. I needed to do an obd scan and climbed under the dash tonight with my favorite shirt to hook up the scanner. I accidentally rubbed up against the steering column cover with my shoulder and got the sticky goop on my favorite shirt. Pissed off, I went to the laundry and sprayed it with Oxi Clean and it came right out. Excited, I tried washing the goop off my hands and again it came right off. So I ran down to the car and tried some on a rag on the small sections of the center console, passenger door handle, column cover, etc. It really worked for me. The only issue was turning the rag to keep a clean side down because the goop clogs the cloth quickly as it comes off. I'm going to try it again in earnest this weekend when I get time, but it might be a good non-toxic solution.

2. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Oxi clean is great for a lot of stuff. I must admit I have no idea what all the threads about sticky dash components are about. It must be an ugly mess though unless you have had it happen or saw this in person I guess.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cool. Continue testing and let us know. This could be much better than easy off oven cleaner.

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Indeed. That's an encouraging find. Please follow up and let us know what you think after further testing.

5. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    There are two parts to the process. One is removing the old texturized finish, exposing and leaving the bare plastic underneath. The second is applying a new finish to the bare plastic so that it appears uniform and finished.

You might find that you are satisfied with unfinished bare plastic on some pieces, like the switches, but on other parts that are very visible it doesn't look very good left like that. SNM process returns a uniform, slightly stippled, hard result. It looks appropriate in the car. I tried a few spray finishes myself but Robbies is much better than anything I've seen

It's funny because I was just thinking about this the other day. I bought a new case/ battery pack for my iPhone (mophie) and it has a black, soft feel. I can scratch it with my fingernail and leave a line but then rub it with my finger and buff out the line. I'm sure that this is the type of finish the OEM parts are supposed to have. The product feels soft and not just hard plastic. I guess my phone case would look like crap in 20 years or less also but if all the car parts looked like this now it would be ideal.

6. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    For what it's worth I had great success with Simple Green.
    My steering column covers were disgusting---black marks on your hands as soon as you touched them.
    I soaked them in a highly-concentrated solution of Simple Green (75% to 25% water) overnight. Came out the next day...touched up a couple areas with 00 steel wool and it was perfect. about 15 minutes of actual "scrubbing" labor.
    Definitely better than the oven cleaner/brake fluid method just by virtue of not having to work with those chemicals.

7. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    my stickies came off pretty easy with simple green as well. The hard one was the new console piece I purchased. Refinishing a part that has not broken down and become sticky is work.

The other, more frustrating part about this problem, is all the stuff I own that I notice with this finish. My safety glasses for laser use, my headphones, etc. the list keeps growing. I would like to smack the guy that invented this finish.

8. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

+1

I sometimes use a different verb. He has created huge problems for many of us and has cost me personally well over $10,000.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    It's probably due regulatory requirements regarding environmental and occupational risks (seeking more benign chemicals for use in manufacturing etc.). Unfortunately, the reformulations rarely preform as well as the original.

10. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    +1,

What's even more unbelievable is that this was allowed to continue well into the 430 production.

11. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Goof off works well too

12. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    #12 gobble, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
    Aren't the major players in this business like SNM and D*** R**** using ultrasonic cleaners?

I had good luck with someone's suggestion of Greased Lighting from Lowes.

I'd love to know what type of coating they're using after cleaning. Too bad nobody has found a rubbery coating similar to factory that is guaranteed to last.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #13 AceMaster, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2015
    Don't mention this name, or the thread will get locked up ;)

14. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The real solution is re-spraying the finish, not removing the old gunk :D

15. Shootfighter65

Shootfighter65 Formula 3

May 13, 2014
    Charleston SC
    Full Name:
    Randy..alluneedtokno
    no kidding..its like 355 headers. Ferrari knew they would fail and kept putting them on. Buy an Enzo and have sticky parts. If GM had this problem with a Corvette interior they would have addressed it right away

16. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    F1 imports provides this service as well.

Repair Ferrri and Maserrati Sticky Parts

In another thread Tim(Socal) used a soft touch coating that he has had good luck with.

17. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #17 driveitdaily, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2015

Lol !!!!! I wouldnt refer to d***r**** as a major player . Thats funny, made me laugh alot !
    One moron in a garage , with a cleaner , a couple toothbrushes and a can of spray paint .
    And the crappy finish we all know and love is not only a ferrari issue , its in almost all late model cars , they just arent old enough yet for it to fail . Audi , saab, ford , vw you name it , its in there, seems like it may fail more in the exotics , possibly because of the abundant use of detailing products in well looked after cars . Weve sold a hundred vw's , why have i only seen it sticky in a handful. , and not all , its got to be something applied to one car as opposed to another
    1994 ferrari 348 spider , third owner purchased may 2013 w/ 27804 miles

18. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    my wife's g37 convertible 2008 has the same mess on the steering wheel surround. while not sticky it's certainly peeling away.

19. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Past the 430 model, we have been doing California's like crazy lately. Also several 2012 Maserati QP's.

20. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    We do not use an ultrasonic cleaner----We strip everything the old fashion way, by hand. Takes a bit longer but the end result is better

21. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Easy on the insults.

Serious question for you. Have you witnessed Dave at work, seen with your own eyes, or know for a fact how he does his work? Reason I ask is because I disagree with defaming someone without knowing for sure what it is they do and how they do it.

22. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Maybe Ferrari owners thought it was part of the charms of ownership (as if the engine out belt service price and intervals weren't enough). Ferrari really took the piss back then.

23. 285ferrari

Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    I have seen some pics of parts he did a few months back that he posted on another site. He did not replace the icons that are stripped off. Like the little white arrows on the dash vents, they were all black, no arrows replaced.

24. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes

I've never seen this on any 80s/90s car I've owned other then the F355. From Germans to Japanese cars, and all were well looked after. Heck I still have 4 other 90s cars I currently run besides the F355 and none have this issue. Maybe you're right, maybe it was a detailing products issue or maybe Ferrari did something different compared to ze Germans ...who knows.

25. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Can someone point me to a pic of what the original dash vent graphics look like? Whoever de-stuckied my 348 did not replace those and I'd like to see if I can duplicate them somehow.