F355 Spider Soft Top Hydraulic Fluid | FerrariChat

F355 Spider Soft Top Hydraulic Fluid

Discussion in '348/355' started by 4retr, Feb 20, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4retr

4retr Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    David B.
    Hello:

Tried to close the top today and would not work - found fluid level is below the minimum mark. Is topping off the fluid level something simple or will the service center have to take care of it? The owners manual does not discuss it or I could not find the section. I remember a reading a thread in the past discussing aftermarket fluids but could not find it trying a search. The previous owner had the system serviced 19 months/10K miles ago - How often should the system be serviced?

Any help will be appreciated.

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Jaguar or Mercedes fluid will work fine. I watched this done on my car, performed by a friend. Remove the cover on piece behind the passenger seat (use a Phillips no. 1 screwdriver). You must do this first, in order to remove the center cover, as the passenger cover, blocks access to one of the mounting screws. Once exposed, you need to remove some stuff from the forward portion of the mechanism, as the fill port is on the front. Use a large syringe or turkey baster. Lay plenty of towels around to catch any drips as you do this. My friend overfilled mine very slightly (perhaps by 1 cm).

I was lucky to have such a good friend! ;)

Seems this needs to be checked at least every year and a half to two years.

3. 4retr

4retr Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2004
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    David B.
    Thanks!!!

I guessing Mercedes has a fluid just for the convertible hydraulic system (BTW I've had my Mercedes SL for 6 years - I better check with the dealer if it needs service - I assume they took care of it during of of the major services).

Is the opening for filling the fluid obvious?

Thanks,

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    check the thread over in Technical...much more detailed...

Dave