Torsional rigidity | FerrariChat

Torsional rigidity

Discussion in '348/355' started by moretti, Jan 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Does anyone have a graph of the torsional rigidity of cars built over the last few decades ?

I've been told that the 355 is a wobbly old car along with the 348.

I've read that as each model was introduced that the rigidity was improved but I have a bad memory so wondering if anyone has factual proof that the 355 is wobbly ?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #2 Rifledriver, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
    Not wobbly but there are better cars. A 355 B is pretty good for a street car. Better than a 328 and a 348 but a 360 is a little better and a Scuderia is better still.

It is what it is, either you like it or not. Why does some other car have really matter?

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    #3 PAP 348, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You are correct mate. Each model only gets better and better as expected.

See these pics from the 360 floor pan improved for the 430 floor pan with extra torsional sections in place.

I will dig around and see if I have the same pics for the 348/355. I don't remember if I do or don't as I have thousands of pics of everything Ferrari related.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    They are, of course, less stiff than many modern offerings, but many I have encountered who make such comments are mostly regurgitating something they've read or heard sans real world experience and probably couldn't really detect all that flex anyway.

May be different in your case, but most I encounter are hardly track stars and really don't have much need to concern themselves with such things. Folks would enjoy their ROAD cars a lot more if they simply allowed themselves to become lost in the experience rather than consumed by the numbers. 20 year old cars are all about the feel, IMO.

I will submit that my particular 348 TS (as set up with challenge springs) would be damn near unbearable for most people if it were any more stiff! I love it as is :)

5. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Well said!!! Also, I envy your Challenge setup. :)

6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Have the same with solid bushings. boy does the roof make noise so I just take it off.

I would guess out of 1000 Ferrari owners maybe 1 would be able to take full advantage of a solid chassis. Lots can feel it.

:)

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    348 structure got stiffened at least twice but I think 3 times during production. Being the first unit body they built it was a learning process. The prototypes had 328 style roof latching and during testing the roofs kept popping out so the chassis was stiffened and the top attaching method was redesigned. In 90 or 91 it was stiffened again and I think 93 and 94 was stiffened again.

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yikes I could see that, ooops there goes my roof again. Honey can you get out and pick it up.

I bet it was a learning process. I was not aware of so many goes at it

9. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
  10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If I remember correctly, Ferrari make a big think about the F355 being 30% stiffer than the 348 due to the way the frame components were attached to each other.

11. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Bench racers use rigidity specs like they use 0-60 times. If my layman's understanding is correct, modern road car chasis are getting to the point where they can actually be too stiff. Isn't this why the 488 suspension builds in "warp" (my term not Ferrari's) to keep all 4 corners planted on the road surface when roll and yaw are encountered?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The only down side to very high stiffness in a road car is loss of ride quality. It makes the suspension guys work harder to isolate you from the minor stuff. A stiff chassis allows the suspension to work as designed and eliminates unknowns. But when you consider just in this conversation we have covered cars with a rating of well below 10,000 to 60,000 in torsional rigidity we have little chance of any of the road going Ferraris being considered too stiff by any yardstick.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Stiff road cars = broken spot welds and metal fractures

Along with tons of other poop that goes bad fast.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    To be fair we have seen plenty of that in flexy frames too. It is a matter of load distribution in the design. Lots of stuff happens with too stiff a suspension on the street including what you describe having nothing to do with chassis stiffness but with suspension stiffness. Something needs to give or everything needs to be really strong. The lesson I think is there is such a thing as being overall too stiff on the street and it produces a car that is unpleasant to drive or ride in.

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Agreed ^^^^

Unfortunately I lived chassis / body structure thing for close to a 20 year span.
    It's all about tradeoff

Funny I just had a flashback to my first chassis experience. Welding up Peugeot rally cars circa 1977. I was the only one who knew how to use one of those new MIG welders so I was nominated LOL

:)

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Continuous welding all the seams? That was done in a lot of production racers back in those days.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    They wanted to weld every seam 3/4" on then a 3/4" gap between welds
    Solid welding caused too much heat buildup.

We put the parts on a frame machine and pulled them apart to test. the 3/4 on off worked best

This was done at Peugeot NA headquarters

A 3 car converted gas station in Tenafly NJ. right down the road from Renault, fiat then ferrari headquarters. I was right in the middle of that auto maddness in NJ
    Then mercedes, bmw, VW, lotus, volvo headquarters 3 miles north.

18. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    There's also a nice big plate underneath that boxes in the channel where the oil/coolant/gearshift lines run. The 360 has a cosmetic plastic part there.

19. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Cheers mate, thanks for sharing. :)

20. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
  21. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    too bad they didn't add the 348 specs....

22. 97spiderman

97spiderman Karting

Dec 15, 2008
    Sunny Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    JohnAG
    Our 930 cab flexes when pushed, but who cares? It will never be on the track and btw I kinda like the feel of chassis flex. An option is skinny tires and more slide

23. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with this statement...

24. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    My 355 GTS is pretty floppy by modern standards. You can feel it through your butt, and there's scuttle shake too. I don't mind, it's part of the charm of a 20 year old car.

25. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    When you look at how the powertrain and rear suspension is mounted into the chassis in its cradle then it is hardly a surprise.

It is all connected down below the engine, very little support above or any significant triangulation of the cradle above the engine into the chassis, quite shocking when you look at it in detail.

/five likes this.