Light won't raise | FerrariChat

Light won't raise

Discussion in '348/355' started by drbob101, Mar 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I have one light that won't come up. It hasn't for a year or so. Time to fix it.

History: when it worked it was occasionally not working. A couple times I would make like I was turning the manual knob and it would spin and almost take my fingers off. Now that does nothing.

Where to start?

2. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I reckon you didn't disconnect the battery at the battery disconnector like the WSM tells you to do.

3. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Haha Barry. I was just trying to help it along at that time. Right hand. Hmmm... How's that disability insurance??

4. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Bob
    Check the relay and clean plugs first.If you need a head light motor ,I have a brand new one left drivers side .Cheap

5. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Thank you. Mike. It's the right. Relay is located where?

6. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    If i remember under the front hood driver's side by the ABS stuff.Remove the cover and it will say on the back side to which one it is.

7. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    if turning the manual knob does nothing either, i don't think its electrical and more of a mechanical issue......

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Hi Bob,

So you are saying that at first you would turn the knob and then the motor would come to life. Now, nothing. Certainly sounds motorish to me. Obviously start with relays clean connections. Relays are in the front fuse block, drivers side. Check your manual under the electrical section for exact position. But sound like the motor is on the way out, or already out. Check motor resistance.

9. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I manually raised it tonight. Turned on lights , left side comes up , turn off, left side lowers Rt stays up in manually raised position.

Yes , at one time it would respond to a bit of help on the knob when in the on position and spin and raise. No more.

10. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    There is a thread here on carbon build-up on the motor contacts. You can access from below. You can clean them up. Mine elevated and fired up but would not retract. I actually drove mine vigorously with lights up on a bumpy road and eventually it stated working again. Kind of like an Italian tune-up.

11. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Hey guys. I checked fuses and relays and on initial inspection just going out to the car after it sat all night and day, it felt to me like the right relay was warm to the touch compared to the other three in that row.

I swapped relays with left side and left worked fine. Right side is up from my manual raising last night mind you

I check fuses and Rt side is blown. I put new fuse in and Rt side goes down. Fuse doesn't blow but still won't raise.

So now have good fuse and known working relay that I think is warm when car is off. I put laser temp on it but I had operated both by that time and they were both warm.

Watson you said motor is accessible from below? I take off body shield to get to it?

Thoughts please

12. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Dr. Bob, I had an issue and detached the rod to the motor and light assembly . I did the same and replaced both relays that I got from Napa as they are standard relays. I also replaced fuses as mine were blowing . I operated the lights in the up position and could see the motor working. I re attached my rod while the assembly was in the up position and everything seemed to be back in sync.

13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Bob i noticed you have some accesability from underneath when you remove the small cover. Same one to access driving or fog light.

14. StanT

StanT Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2007
    Vienna, VA
    I had similar problem a few years ago, and did manual raising too. If I recall correctly after I replaced the fuse and it worked in just one direction I had to manually cycle through the whole up and down cycle and then it worked OK.

I hope I remembered correctly and am not sending you wrong path.

15. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Sorry Doc, I was in the Cayman's last week and didn't check in all that much. Back to reality now :(

Yes, Taz is correct, remove the lower aero panel directly under the light. Look up and all is there.

If you are blowing fuses, something is not right. A fresh fuse / relay may "fix" the problem for awhile, but I would check for binding.

16. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Thank you. Fuse is staying patent for now but light not operating. I'll get under there and pull the motor and have a look.

Thank you and hope you had a good trip. I put the snow shovel into its summer spot. Hopeful here!

17. Gialllo uno

Gialllo uno Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2014
    Reisterstown, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Bob, motor is a pain to get to. I know in the up position there is some room, to get your hands on it from the top, but not for removal. I know I had some issues, same as you right side light.I think there are actually 3 relays, right side, left side and? Can't remember?? My right side Relays was pulled and headlight to motor attachment rod was missing. Once I replaced relays and fuses, the headlight motor seemed to need to cycle once or twice. I put my lights on in the up position killed the battery switch, reconnectEd the attaching rod that I had to make and all was good.

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #19 drbob101, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally had a chance to tackle this issue today.

Right side motor is accessible from below as was said above. Take the battery and brake cooling duct out and it's right there. 3 x 10mm headed bolts hold it in. I'll post more pics later as on phone now and one at a time is a pain.

As per Watsons instructions , I took it apart and what a mess in there. It looks like someone left their old , crusty piece of bread in there. What is that stuff?

I've cleaned it up pretty well and sanded the rust spot on the disk as Watson said there would be.

Putting it back together , it was packed with some kind of lube. What is that? Is it dielectric grease on the disk and contacts? What to use on the worm drive?

Here's a couple pics for now
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #20 drbob101, Mar 17, 2016
  20. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #21 drbob101, Mar 17, 2016
  21. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #22 drbob101, Mar 17, 2016
  22. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Ha! That looks familiar :) I suspect almost every 355 headlight motor looks like that.

I used High-Temp Mystick grease in mine. In retrospect, it is too thick. Doing it again, I would use a lighter weight grease....a di-electric grease or Vaseline. Just pack it in there as much as you can.

Nice work Doc. Looking good.

23. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Just installed it and it works!!! Thank you Watson for the issue and result.

I used dielectric grease on the disk and white lithium grease on the worm gear.

I think the bread crumb looking stuff was the remains of whatever grease they used on the gear. The thing is not hermetically sealed and obviously gets or had moisture in it and thus the rust.

Not a hard repair. But of a pain to get at but straight forward if anyone else has the issue.

24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #25 drbob101, Mar 17, 2016