Ferrari F355 Cam Lock Tool | FerrariChat

Ferrari F355 Cam Lock Tool

Discussion in '348/355' started by FLORIDAsnakeEyes, Mar 17, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    Found this by **********:

2 cam locks for $125. They are pretty cool.

I would post a link, but they always block them, so you will have to Google **********

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Cool, but overkill.

3. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #3 Jackie and bill, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
    I have always just used mole grips just for a cambelt change.
    I will have to check because it's been a while, but i am quite sure there is a picture of the special tool used in the ferrari workshop manual, and there mole grips to :)

4. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Might be for someone who has a lot of experience working on and around these motors, but for the guy who is doing his own engine out for the first of second time, the peace of mind that comes with knowing things are properly locked in place vs rigging something else up is worth it.

On the F355 episode of CarFix, Lou rigs up his own crude tool. Not something most can or would want to do.

Then again, maybe it is worthwhile for the pro in terms of time savings as are many 'specialty' tools.

Each person decides value for himself I guess.

5. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1
    not needed on a 355 cam belt swap

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yea, what the he!!. Just buy some wooden window/door shims at Home Depot and whack them in there with a hammer. Why bother using a proper tool? Nothing critical here. And while you are at it, fill the cylinders with oils so as to hydro lock the engine. Wouldn't want to crank to rotate by accident. (This is sarcasm, incase you didn't get it.)

7. carwhisperer

carwhisperer Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2014
    Sacramento, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Nope, I don't get it

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Another reason you may actually want good cam locks is to hold the sprockets securely if you need to remove the sprockets from the cams. A lot of these DIY locks may be sufficient to hold the cams if all you are doing is a belt swap, but if you need to apply enough torque to remove the center bolt you need something that will take the torque without damaging the sprockets, or slipping.

9. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #9 Jackie and bill, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What i am about to write is just my findings after doing more than a few 355 belt changes, take it or leave it but its just what i know/found. Every one must do it the way you like :)
    I really cant understand why some people want to build a full scaffold just to hold the pair of pulleys for a cambelt change.
    I have done them long enough to know that all this fear of the pulleys springing out of sync is harder than you think. I mean the teeth on the belts are so far apart that the pulleys would have to move a considerable way for them to be a tooth out.
    As i said many including the factory workshop manuals use simple mole grips just to hold the pair of pulleys securely as the belts are changed. Not only does the 355 WSM show a picture of mole grips, so do other ferrari models WSMs including 360s. If you do a search on ferrarichat you will see other people using them om there model ferrari, example http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/476353-av3207-really-required-servicing-timing-sytem-belts.html
    There is no way the pulleys can ever slip with this simple tool.
    Believe it or not even if the belts are of and the mole grips are removed, the pulleys will not easily move unless some force is applied to any one or both of the pulleys, this is how secure they are, they will not just spring out of place. However the mole grips or any other device are used to guarantee that no knocks or bumps move the pair of pulleys out of sync. Evem if they did move slightly, simply align them again with the marks applied to the pulleys at the beginning of the belt change.
    Like i said this is what i have found and what i know through my experience. You must choose the method that makes you happy, though its not necessary to go over the top.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I'm sure they are not REALLY needed but $125 is a pittance for a decent looking functional tool. I plan to buy a set and will use them without any worries of anyone taking a punch out of my man card. :)

11. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #11 johnk..., Mar 17, 2016
    I don't disagree with anything here, if all you want to do is a belt swap. But if you need to adjust timing and remove the center bolts you need a good way prevent the cams from rotating. Mole grips aren't going to be sufficient.

But where do the 355 and 360 WSMs show mole grips? I can not find it in either.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's why the cambolts should be loosened before you get to that step. Camlocks are not needed at all. IMO they guarantee inaccuracy.

13. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #13 Jackie and bill, Mar 17, 2016
    Yes i agree with you to.
    You know i have looked and cant for the life of me remember were i saw the picture of the mole grips holding the pulleys, but it was a ferrari workshop manual.
    If you do a search on ferrarichat you will see your self that others also make reference to seeing the same thing in the WSM.
    A quick search i found that the 550 WSM referrs to using the grips, 3rd post down
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/456-550-575-sponsored-bradan/316841-timing-belt-service-550-a.html
    5th post
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/360-430-sponsored-yellow-compass-group/476353-av3207-really-required-servicing-timing-sytem-belts.html

14. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    So what is holding the cams from rotating, the belts? Then, why wouldn't that just turn the entire engine over? There is a Ferrari tool to lock the crank, at least for the 360. Something has to lock something, no?

16. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Impact wrench.

17. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Hmmm... The shop that takes care of my 355 and have done thousands of engine out services are ordering a set of these as well. Could it be that they are needed or do they just have a few dollars to throw away? I don't think its the latter.

18. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    #18 Jackie and bill, Mar 17, 2016
    Could it be that your shop "wants" them, not "needs" them. Certainly not for a belt change.

19. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The tool makes for an accurate job in quicker time with less room for error. Any good shop has similar aims. Its not just about changing the belts, it has to do with correct timing and believe me there are many variations of ideas for correct timing. I tend to believe those that have worked on Ferrari F1 teams and Challenge teams.

20. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    LoL, how many more ferrari tecs in the world can claim to have worked in the ferrari f1 teams, i know of a few here in blighty ;)
    People pays there money they make there choice, :)

21. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    How many of them were in on the design of these cars? Anyway, you can use whatever tool you like. Don't knock those that want to use the best.

22. Jackie and bill

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Hey lighten the **** up man, not once did i knock anyone for using any other tool.
    Its not like you have any personal hands on experience iyour self. **** people:(

23. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Cool...another cambelt cam timing holy war beginning...

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll see myself out...

25. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002