In NJ & Have a < '95 car? Happy dance time. | FerrariChat

In NJ & Have a < '95 car? Happy dance time.

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Apr 15, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Woo hoo!
    State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission

Cessation of Tailpipe Emission Testing

Beginning May 1, 2016, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission is changing the inspection requirements for certain vehicles. Due to the cessation of tailpipe emission testing, the following passenger vehicles now will be exempted from inspection:
    Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 1995 & older with a GVWR 8,500 pounds or less.
    Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2007 & older with a GVWR 8,501 to 14,000 pounds.
    Gasoline powered vehicles registered passenger, model year 2013 & older with a GVWR 14,001 pounds or more.

Additionally, owners of the exempted vehicles will be sent a notice (below) six (6) to eight (8) weeks before their vehicle would have been due for inspection. Owners should remove the inspection sticker once it expires and keep this notice with their vehicle.

2. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Only in NJ! Less than 25yr old vehicles can qualify for classic car status after odometer inspection, and approval letter from the state on vehicles with low production numbers. My '90 348 qualified and received a triangular inspection sticker after retaining approval letter signed by the NJ governor. Odometer inspection every 2 years, no regular safety or emissions testing required.

Vehicles over 25 yrs can qualify for historic status. No inspection, limited mileage and daily driver required I think. Registration fees every 2 years.

So now any year less than '95 does safety testing with no emissions.

Geez, which one to apply for now? It's like getting off PMI!

3. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Time to move to NJ! :D

Robb

4. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    No emissions testing here in BC. :)

5. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    20 years or older in MD can get historic tags. No emissions or inspection required ever.

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I am aware of the 25 year historic status but not the other path you describe.

How did you go about getting that done?

Mine just passed and I'm good for two years but maybe I won't have to do that again?

Time to import a euro car???

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Mine is exempt from ALL inspections.
    I have no stickers and the plate is permanent.
    ...and it was also free.
    But only for the one car, others still need inspections and stickers/tags.

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    No safety anymore, no emissions. And no more swapping cats on for emissions (if one ever did that sort of thing) :)

9. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    Consider yourselves fortunate. California already has the most strict emissions standards in the country (and probably the highest gas tax and clean fuel requirements) and is moving toward even more restrictive measures in the future. Not sure what that will mean for my 95 F355 down the road, but in this state, no politician wants to align himself with any legislation that will even seem like it's less than green.

But I am happy for you, much less complicated.

Cheers, Henry

10. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    SC has no emisions or inspection testing. Plus, it only costs me about $60/year for taxes and tags because the cAR is older than 15 years. I pay more in taxes on my 2009 F150 than my 99 M3, FF cobra, 77 FJ40, and F355 all added up! It pays to like old cars in SC.

11. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    2 years ago when my 348 was 24yrs old it did not qualify for historic status. The bellmawr dmv gave me forms to fill out where you attach pics of vehicle and information on production numbers to send to Trenton for collector car status approval. Vehicle does not qualify for this anymore as of late this year when registration expires so its either historic or the new no inspection status. Not sure what status to get later this year yet so will have to talk to dmv again and see what option works best for people with 4 vehicles... how about a bulk registration discount??

12. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Hmm no inspection at all in MI.

I cant believe we don't with these crooks here.

Cost me $500 for my yearly registration. Ugh

13. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Woo hoo! The '95 355 get-out-of-jail free card came saying no inspection required. I get to scrape that nasty off the windshield. Woo hoo!

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    If you cant pass emission something is wrong with your engine :)

Nice they exempt it

15. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Gee, all you really had to do was add 5,300 pounds to the F355 and it would qualify years earlier!

16. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I think it has more to do with modifying the exhaust than passing emissions...

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I'm from Jersey, 40 years there, I'm feeling much better now LOL

18. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    It's not just emissions on most states, it's inspections too. Stuff like lowering the car, adding larger wheels, different brakes, etc can make a car fail inspection.

19. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    Here in Vt we are exempt from 95 back (non obd2). But a safety inspection every year.

20. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    Here come the straight pipes!! :)

21. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #21 phrogs, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

We know and it's a big reason I'll never live there.

But michigan has you beat on gas tax now and gas prices most of the time we are one of the highest in the country.

I have no inspections, no smog but my license plate sticker cost me $600 for a fcar Im able to drive maybe 4-5 months a year due to weather.

Michigan claims it's all for road work, as you know winter destroys roads, and our roads are still garbage.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. cpmayor

cpmayor Rookie

Jul 12, 2016
    Miami, FL, USA
    Full Name:
    Carlo Mayor
    Running test pipes in Florida where we also do not have emissions testing! #thankyoujebbush