Timing belt noise after major | FerrariChat

Timing belt noise after major

Discussion in '348/355' started by go_faster, Apr 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    So the major is done with new everything including timing chain and oil chain guides and hills tensioners. She runs good but there is a mechanical "whine" noise that is faint and varies with engine rpm. I ran it without alt and ac belts and its the same. If you've spun a dry and worn ball bearing with your hand... that is the noise it sounds like.

My thoughts are that when I set the belt tension I did it wrong. I turned the engine with a breaker bar and had a buddy snug the tension idler while I had forward pressure on the belt. Now its too tight.

I expect now I should have rotated it and let the bar go before snugging. When doing it I noticed it made about 1/4 inch of difference in the placement of the tensioner.

Thoughts on the noise? Belt tension??

2nd. Can I loosen the tensioner and reset tension with engine in?

Any help would be appreciated

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    what car?

3. dapper

dapper Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Bristol, UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If 348...

Did you ensure those belt freedom of movement limiter pads at the top of each bank were set with a small (1mm?) gap?

4. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    91 348. There is a hole in the cover that would allow access to the tensioner bolt. I figure if you take the upper cover caps off and clamp the four gears and belt just for extra security (i cant see how they would move if the tensioner is always "sprung") then loosen and allow adjuster to self tension then retighten it should work?

5. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    I did set the gap on those pads. They are easy to check so ill pull the cover over gears off today and make sure.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    The 348 is supposed to have its tensioner bolt tightened at the maximum tensioner load so you could have done it wrong, but it would not be too tight, only too loose. Only 2 possibilities:

1. Bad tensioner bearing
    2. Bad water pump

Either way, the engine comes out.

7. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    Thanks. I really appreciate the help. I'll run some checks today and see what I can find. I have no problems repulling the engine if that is what's needed. The tensioners are new but they could be faulty. Tensioners are hills and felt really tight and smooth when I was fooling with them before installing. I doubt they are the problem. The waterpump never had a noise before the service but could be the problem. I have a feeling it's more to do with something I did wrong.

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    #8 yelcab, Apr 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is the text from the service manual. Now that I read it again, it does say that tighten the bolt when the tensioner is at its maximum extended position (least load). Which means you could have it too tight. The correct way is for you to turn it over until you observe the position of maximum extension, hold it there, and have your friend tighten the bolt.

It still needs to come out again. And by the way, your reasoning is totally correct. It is something you did (or did not) do.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Another member here (on a 355) had to change lifters on one cylinder and he did so with the motor in the car by removing the gas tank. Perhaps you can resolve this issue the same way?

BTW, please don't misunderstand this is me endorsing an engine-in-car major, because I do not :)

10. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    You (your buddy) shouldn't have pushed the tension idler towards the belt but just let its spring apply pressure. With the tension idler bolt loosened, you should keep slowly turning the crankshaft forward while tightening the idler bolt.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I can see it now. Two big guys squeezing into the space meant for one smallish Italian guy, one with a breaker bar and the other with a torque wrench...

Guy 1: Dude, did you shower this morning?
    Guy 2: I am holding my breath, why don't you do the same?
    Guy 1: Get this done quick!!! I am turning blue!

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Haha! That's great Mitch. I know I would not fit in there :)

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't think that is what he is saying. The way I read it he applied torque to the engine and kept the belt taught while the tensioner bolt was tightened. That's pretty much the correct way to do it.

14. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    To clarify. I turned the crank and allowed the spring to assert its own pressure on belt. All my buddy did was tighten the bolt to lock the tension. He did not apply extra pressure. So given the manual it looks like that was correct. (Rather then turning it and then relaxing the bar used to turn the crank.) which does effect where the idler ends up, and therefore the tension.

So if thats right then I suspect the new tension (old one belt was definately loose/stretched) has brought about a water pump bearing that was on the way out.

15. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    snug the tension idler = tighten the tensioner bolt, now I understand

16. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Depends on who you talk to. They all had springs but yet the factory tells you to use a steager tensiometer and now a sonic testor. I wonder why??

17. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What about lower timing case bearings?

18. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    How I understand the (poorly written) instructions in the workshop manual, the tensiometer is used only to check tension and the tensioning at installation is done using only the spring pressure which should provide 140-160 on the Staeger. Only one re-tensioning is allowed (within first 1500 km) if the tension has dropped below 110. Subsequently, if the tension drops below 110, replace the belt.

19. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Never tried it on Ferrari, on our 1, 3 and 4 inch kevlar belts we use these tools to align and set tension or they will snap.
    Y'All know how I play with Gates stuff :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKQBhis1sjk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn9cb5Xm2g8[/ame]

20. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Can I borrow your sonic tension meter when I install my cams, Tim?

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I have to say, the first time I had the belts on my 308 changed I was shocked to see how loose one belt was. And I mean LOOSE! With the engine off there was absolutely no tension what so ever on the drive side of the belt. It was like a fat man's belt around a skinny man's waste. Note, first time belt change. I.E., that's how it came from the factory. They obviously didn't spend much time checking belt tension back in '85. And, no, this was not due to belt stretch. I measured the length of both old belts. One was 915.4 mm and the other was 915.2 mm. Basically within the manufactured tolerances for belt length.

22. go_faster

go_faster Rookie

Jul 26, 2011
    Hamilton
    Full Name:
    Chris smith
    So.... i pulled the engine again and changed the case bearing and the ball bearing ng at the back of the timing drive. Timed the cams when I was in there. Changed water pump and installed a new belt just in case. Put it back together and quess what? Still have the bearing noise. Hills tensioners felt good when i was checking. What else is there? Noise is definitely coming from front of engine and started right after last year's major. I drove it all last year and noise didnt get better or worse. It sounds like a quieter old school gear drive.

J360M likes this.
  23. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Idler pulley bearing for the accessory belts?

24. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I dont know Dave kinda sounds like you do.

A bit at least, ha ha.

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That is the water pump and one of the two Hill Bearing. I think he said it is done.

As for what to do now, I would take a stethoscope and poke around while the engine is running. ...