What's it worth? | FerrariChat

What's it worth?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Roger348, May 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roger348

Roger348 Karting

Feb 10, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Roger Cody
    The wife said last night that she wants to sell her car(maybe because I've sold my 348) but either way I'm fine with it as I'd rather we both have a late model Fcar. So here is what she has.
    1996 F355 Spider, second owner, 33,500 miles, Yellow/Black 100% OEM has some leather repair needed on dash, body and paint perfect. Major service done at Ferrari Las Vegas at 28,000 in 2012. The car has always been in California & Nevada and has no damage history.

So what do you think is a fair value on this car?

Cheers!
    Roger

2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I'm ready to give you $45K as is unseen!

3. Roger348

Roger348 Karting

Feb 10, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Roger Cody
    #3 Roger348, May 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thank you Claude, but I believe the car is worth a bit more. I'll see what some sale sites are listing them for.
    I'll try and post a few photos as well.

Roger
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    lol

5. Roger348

Roger348 Karting

Feb 10, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Roger Cody
    Thank you Claude, but I believe the car is worth a bit more. I'll see what some sale sites are listing them for.
    I'll try and post a few photos as well.

Roger

6. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    On a more serious note, I need one for my maid to drive to the liquor store for me....I am prepared to pay $46,000.

7. Roger348

Roger348 Karting

Feb 10, 2013
    Reno, Nevada
    Full Name:
    Roger Cody
    I'm sorry, but I feel the Boot would not suffice for the Liquior runs.
    But thanks anyway.

Cheers!

8. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Since it needs service, assuming a good PPI with good leak down numbers and good compression in all cylinders. I would place the value somewhere between 50-60k without additional data. I expect this to start going up though. How about the exhaust system? That is where the money pit potential hides... also check the assembly number for potential valve guide issues. Does the top work 100%? Does it suffer from sticky plastic problems? There is a lot to know before placing a value on the car.

It's hard to place value without a complete PPI and review of records.

Reference point: I paid $47k in 2012 for my 1997 with 25k miles. No major cosmetic defects, but what I didn't know then bit me pretty well in the ass.

9. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If it's mint at that mileage, probably 70k with fresh major and tires. As-is, if everything is mint needing a major, probably low 60's. Subtract from there if there are interior, exterior cosmetic or other needs like tires/brakes etc. 45-50k would be fair if it has shrinking leather, sticky interior, needs tires and needing a major (which is what a lot of people still call 'good condition').

10. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think you're going to find he's pretty close. It doesn't matter what the sites are listing them for its what they are selling for.

I just sold my 97 yellow/black spider needing major and couldn't get $45k. I sold it for $44k.

It had similar miles but 8 of 10 interior with a few stickies. MACarbon steering wheel, hill foot rests, Fabspeed headers, TUBI exhaust, brand new canvas top, newer clutch, brakes, tires, battery, etc etc.

It needed some work to the front bumper and at least a respray in some areas so that was my minus from your car.

There are those who talk what they will give but when it comes time to make a real deal they do not come through.
    I hope you get what you want for it and I hope you honestly tell us what it really sells for. if more people were open like me we would have a better grasp on real pricing on these things.
    Maybe I could have held out for more and "forgot to mention" a few issues like so many sellers do but I was honest with it and got what would be paid right now.

So like I said good luck with it and if it does sell please let us know what for.

Thanks.

11. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Take that $45K offer sight unseen if he is serious. It needs a $7K major. Go for it. That yellow color (and I have one) is a hard sell.

12. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #12 itsablurr, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    I'd estimate $60-65k range as it sits, with an otherwise clean PPI. Mid-high $40s, that is the realm of clean but driven 348s.

Glad you were able to find the 348 a new home, Roger.

13. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #13 godabitibi, May 5, 2016
    Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Vince, overbidding on me just made you loose your helicopter ride :D

BTW I'm a serious buyer! I'm presently considering one here in Montreal in red/tan and my offer is taking in consideration my expenses to go get the car in the US and also the dollar exchange and taxes I will have to pay and what the car need from the description.

I personally like yellow on black cars a lot(see my former TR) but red on tan sells better and I don't plan to keep the car forever.

And BTW because of my last experience I will not wire any money before I'm there beside the car. I'm still waiting some of my money back from my last purchase that didn't work because the car would not start to load it on the carriers truck. Twice!! More than two months now since I paid the car.

14. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    45k isn't really that off depending on whether it has had the valve guides done. When I was looking to buy an F355, no valve guides and/or OEM headers + cats were an automatic detraction.

I would put it up for 65k (or 70k if you want to push it) and see what offers you get.

15. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    If you read the description my offer is in line with your last fair value. Belts done in 2012 makes it ready again next winter. Leather is in need on dash. And what else????

16. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Sorry, but how are those expenses a reason for the seller to accept a lower offer than he wants for the car?

Offering less money because the car needs work and you don't think it's worth the amount being asked is fair enough and to be expected, but as a buyer, if you have expenses getting a car home then that's your problem, not the sellers.

(Cheekily asking for a bit of money off to help pay for gas money to get the car home is one thing, but expecting the seller to help pay for all of the costs to get a car home, especially to another Country, is something else!)

17. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    I am withdrawing my bid of $46k. My maid needed something quickly and she likes riding my scooter which has the rear storage bin for the liquor bottles. So all is well.

18. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Since posting details of the car, I would get the f-chat membership and list it properly in the for sale section. I did that a couple of years ago and sold my 360 very quickly (about 2-3 weeks)- informed buyers are on f-chat which is nice! The membership isn't much money vs listing it in other places (autotrader, Hemings, eBay, etc)

19. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    I totally understand your point and not saying it's the seller's problem. I made an offer and he's free to take or leave it but in my situation this is what I'm willing to pay. My point is there is no reason for me to buy a car that is far when I have one near that doesn't involve all the trouble to go get it for the same price in about same condition. I made an offer that if he accept it I WILL honnor it.

We are all aware of the possible problems of the headers, valves and guides, leather shrink, sticky interior parts, needing belts very soon etc. My offer is as is unseen. I need a cushion too.

20. Andy 355

Andy 355 Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2013
    Sydney
    I love how people say... I have no idea how much i want for it... So you make a offer and always the response is ... Oh no its worth more than that! Oh so you do know how much you want for it and know exactly how much its worth. Just the same as when people buy a really great car and say... its the car i bought Vs a lemon they say they were sold. This is the really bad car you sold me.

21. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    On sept 15, 2014, roger348 was already looking to sell his wife's car. So 8 months later he is still trolling this thought. If roger348 does not know the value by now, and has probably already floated sales initiatives (was seeing a dealer in sept 2015), not sure what the reinitiative is this time around. Hopefully the convertible top hydrolics are now working properly.

22. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Typo, 2015 not 2014.

23. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Vince are you saying the hydraulic top was not working right on this car?

24. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce

It is called trolling for free so he doesn't have to pay for membership here on FChat and list his car in the classified section like you are supposed to.

These kind of people are el cheapo's

25. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    HI Claude. If you click on his name and go to"find all posts" you will locate the ones in 2015 where he is trying to find prices on both of his cars and also asking for feedback on his wife's 355 convertible top with hydrolics issues.
    I knew he was trolling so I thought I would liven it up with my $46k offer. Am I still on your list for the helicopter ride? LOL 😅