Best Sounding 355 Ever | FerrariChat

Best Sounding 355 Ever

Discussion in '348/355' started by R&D, May 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I first saw this video a few years back, but just now thought to ask about it on fchat. Is this guy on here? Does anybody know the engine mods on this car/exhaust specs? I'm guessing it's a lightly modded motor with a tune and a straight through pipe that joins into one pipe for the last foot or so to combine the pulses and get the high pitch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDicz7UG5HY

The only other video of the car I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBBxJ42FMt0

2. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
  3. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
  4. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
  5. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    #5 Dr_ferrari, May 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Yes the center exit is quite a different sound. My black one sounds pretty mean
    Need to properly mic the car at the track one day maybe in a couple weeks to get the true sound.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbDVofybJXY[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y5Pf6MyHiU[/ame]

7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Nice Tim, that sounds sweet :)

I would be curious to test pressure at both the rear grill and original exhaust outlet locations.

I always thought it may be possible for the rear diffusers to generate a low pressure area/venturi effect at the exhaust tips.

8. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Tim, I noticed your car still has twin pipes - just relocated to exit out the grill. Whereas the others have a larger single pipe. Just find that interesting

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #9 SoCal1, May 28, 2016

Yes I want to do a few subtle changes to bring it up to current technology, ring extractors to pull heat out a bit more.
    There is a better primary tube design also that's similar to the 'bumble bee' headers used on sprint cars.

Soon as I can see good enough to tig weld again the games will begin.

EDIT

On a side note, one of the locals here put together a new dyno 4WD room with wind tunnel. more things to tweek

:)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    SoCal1, I noticed that your exhaust exit is two tips as well. Is the exhaust from each bank on yours separate all the way from the cylinder head to the tips or is there an X pipe or some area where the gases mix before the tips? I'm trying to better understand exactly what makes the high F1 pitch vs the "angry twin 4 cylinder sound" in these cars. I know that if you run each header straight back with no gas mixing it ends up sounding like a 4 cylinder. I believe that the F1 sound comes from combining the gases to allow double the pulses to exit an outlet per unit time (doubling the frequency). What I don't know is where actual exhaust gas mixing is required to achieve this "frequency doubling" effect at your ears. In other words:

If you keep the banks of exhaust separate all the way out but put both tips very close together (as opposed to the normal exit locations separated by a few feet), do your ears still interpret this as two 4 cylinders or as 1 high pitched noise? I have a few ideas of experiments that might be able to test this effect but for now I'm interested in what other people think or have found in their experience.

11. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  12. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    P.S. I have a hunch that the most important part of how you perceive the sound is related to the apparent pitch that reaches EACH ear. I'm guessing that for the F1 effect to work both ears have to perceive the same high frequency pitch. If the exhaust tips are separated and each pulses like a 4 cylinder, there are probably locations you can stand relative to the car such that one ear receives each set of pulses with a phase shift of 180 degrees (F1 pitch). However, because the other ear is located in a slightly different spot it may receive each signal with a phase shift that is not 180 degrees. In that scenario, I'm thinking that your brain will interpret this as the 4 cylinder sound. Only when both ears receive the same 180 degree phase shifted signal will it interpret the signal as a single high pitched source.... I have to do some back of the envelope calcs this afternoon but I think I can provide a scenario where a single mic recording of your exhaust can sound high pitched but in person the car sounds like a 4 cylinder (assuming the car has 2 exhaust exits with no gas mixing).... I'll chime back in later.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

I never pander to sound or aesthetics. All I do is horsepower, efficiency and performance.
    Never thought about it any other way :)

14. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Well said Tim. Seems lwhen it comes to 355's there more concern in ithe sound rather than performance.

15. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #15 Robb, May 28, 2016
    The red and white striped car in the original OP's first video iink s a converted '95 F355 which did not run in the original challenge series. it was bought new at Wide World Cars as a stock F355 Berlinetta. It was Stolen in '96 and stripped of interior, wheels, doors, and hood. It received a salvage title because of this. It was purchased by an independent race shop with intent to build and compete in the SpeedVision Cup. The car was never fully finished in time for the series and the shop lost interest. Car was sold in 2001 to a new owner who took it the rest of the way.

It has custom JE pistons, raising compression, new valves, crank, port, polish, and other trick engine techniques. It was then tuned on the dyno by a MOTEC guru. The dyno pulls showed 391 hp at the wheels, approximately 470 hp at the crank. Lean front windshield, etc - The car weighs about 2450 pounds. Virtually the entire body is carbon fiber except the roof and rear quarter panels.

In addition, the wiring harness was changed and updated to the latest MOTEC system. Prior to the new engine, they added the over roof air induction and carbon fiber louvered engine cover, installed a new custom built fuel cell and stainless steel fuel lines, new starter, new oil lines, new oil pump and oil tank, new alternator, new carbon race clutch, car to pit radio communication, etc.

It ran for the first time with all the pieces complete in 2014. It is an animal that can run with F430 challenge cars...

I am not sure on the exhaust components but can connect people with the current owner, Mark if you send me a PM.

Robb

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    LOL I like sound I just got new $30 speakers for my computer, even has a sub woofer

I can sit here at night in the dark listening to vroom vroom videos hehehe:)

17. KMR968Turbo

KMR968Turbo Formula 3

Nov 11, 2007
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I think part of it is enjoyment for dollars. Making the car sound crazy for $5000 is a better return on investment than getting 10 hp for the same money. On a street car of course.

18. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    As with everything it's a trade-off. If I can make the car sound over-the-top amazing but sacrifice 15 hp on a 300-400 hp engine for a street car I think it's worth it for the overall enjoyment of the driving experience. I'm interested in better categorizing what factors make an exhaust sound a certain way. For all out performance on these cars, you're probably best off with some sort of merge collectors on open headers, which will end up sounding like a racing 4 cylinder. That's not necessarily a bad sound, but not even in the same league as the high pitched wail possible with a different exhaust configuration.

19. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Why does it have 348 doors (and rocker panels)?

Something to do with the theft and stripping I assume.

20. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I have always admired this car. Saw it at Cavallino several years back.
    Didn't know Jeff sold it...?

21. R&D

R&D Karting

Mar 16, 2015
    USA
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Hey Robb I went ahead and sent you a PM. Interested in learning more about that insane sounding exhaust.