348 timing chain cover | FerrariChat

348 timing chain cover

Discussion in '348/355' started by trainsplanesandautos, Jul 24, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I am completing what's may be the first service on my 1989 Mondial !the belt may have been changed, but I am certain the front cover has not been off. I expect to find the roller bearing and can already see the oil pump chain tensioner is toast. I have fabricated a puller to remove the front cover from the cam drive shaft and have put a good amount of pressure on the shaft without sucess. I don't want to use heat trying to save the front bearing seal. I have used a duster can upside down in a attempt to cool the shaft and still can't get it off. I have looked at the threads on this site and others for engine service and the cover seems to come of pretty easy. Any ideas would be great.

2. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not Mondial ! Mondial T with 348 motor

3. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
  4. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you I will take a photo of my set up but it's really tight so tight tha I am afraid of damaging the cover.

5. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #5 trainsplanesandautos, Jul 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #6 97 Spider, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    The cover doesn't really take hat much to get off does

EDIT on everything I said after that, the picture was confusing on your pulling contraption but it finally clicked what I was looking at.

There is a chain guide that stays hooked to the cover, if it is deeply grooved maybe it is hanging up on the chain. Come up from the bottom and unbolt it if you can. Also you took the key out of the shaft? Just thinking out loud. Good luck.

7. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the reply. I have removed the key. The shaft in the bearing is not moving in the inner race. I did look at the tensioners and thought about removing the cover with the shaft. And the oil tensioner is pretty easy get the bolts off and think it would come off the shaft as the cover came off. The cam chain tensioner is another question I don't know if it can be reached with the cover on. The shaft is coming out of the rear bearing and I can get about 3mm of movement of the cover until it hangs on the chains. The gear ring on the crankshaft is moving out as the cover is moved.

8. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    A little more information and another question. To remove the ring nut on the cam drive shaft it required cutting it off it was super tight. Also did Ferrari put some type of lock tight on the shaft that's holding it on. This cover has never been off.

9. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #9 trainsplanesandautos, Jul 25, 2016
    This motor has 30k miles on it and I thought a couple photos of the black plastic in the pan and a photo of the tensioner with the plastic being rubbed off. Anyone who has not had this done is on borrowed time. The motor was not noisy and ran fine, it out of a Mondial and likley never used on the track and I would guess driven in a more conservative manor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry looked at the photo of the tensioner and could not see the damage but the pan is pretty telling that is plastic, other than the plastic the pan was clean.

11. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    #11 itsablurr, Jul 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    Are you getting any deflection with that piece of steel? I had worked with a couple pieces of angle through pulling that cover off, and rigidity to maintain alignment is crucial to getting it off as easily as possible. The pull should be dead straight in alignment with the sprocket shaft. I eventually opted for a piece of boxed tube steel stock with walls around 0.125". Also, the oil chain tensioner pad can get caught up on the chain, as mentioned above. That chain shares a common drive sleeve off the crank with the timing chain, so you have some potential for hangup there.

You shouldn't need to cut off the ring nut for the sprocket. A solid impact driver should do the trick. If you don't have compressed air, the Milwaukee M18 Fuel 1/2" impact is fantastic. Also, with breaking initial stiction on parts, Kroil is your best friend... forget PB, or Liquid Wrench.

12. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    #12 2NA, Jul 25, 2016
  13. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thank you I will remove the nut and get it off. Great infomation. This site is a huge resource and the community on here is what keeps these cars on the road.

14. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #14 trainsplanesandautos, Jul 25, 2016
    Thanks to everyone I removed the cover tonight and took a couple photos that make the process of removing the pan and front cover worth the time. Remember this is the correct motor out of a 30k mile motor.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. trainsplanesandautos

Silver Subscribed

Feb 21, 2010
    Burleson Tx.
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #15 trainsplanesandautos, Jul 25, 2016
  16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner