1997 355 Starting Problems | FerrariChat

1997 355 Starting Problems

Discussion in '348/355' started by 355OXO, Aug 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I wonder if anyone Technical can help me on the forum?

Currently I cannot get my 355 project car to start, I have checked all the following:

Timing is correct
    Plug lead order to banks and coils correct
    Fuel injectors working correctly
    Fuel pump and supply working correctly
    Engine compression correct
    New plugs fitted and all working correctly
    The carburettors are backfiring on all cylinders, But won't start

Any suggestions as to the cure much appreciated?

Regards

Simon

2. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Mmm, i think i may have found your problem :)

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian

:) of course you mean backfiring up the throttle bodies since nothing with fuel injection has a carberator. But I'd say one of you first two assessments is incorrect. If its backfiring. Then it's getting fuel, compression, and spark but it's coming at the wrong time. If your cam timing is right then you might want to look a little closer at your plug wires. Sometimes it's easy to get mixed up.

Maybe it's not getting good position reading. Either the cam position sensor or the crank sensor. I don't think it will fire if there is no crank position though.

Some more info could help too, what year is it? Have you had it running before and what work did you do prior to it not starting again?

4. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    #4 355OXO, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    Never had it going purchased as a project. Back fire throttle bodies correct. Tripple checked plug wires. Plugs 1 to 8 from right hand bank front as 1 then sequential u shape routing to 8 when looking forward from rear of car. I know coil connections are different and correct.

Checked coil connections correct.

i was thinking of the crank or cam sensors, if your correct faulty cam sensor then.

5. JoeAsheville

JoeAsheville Rookie

Jun 15, 2014
    Actually, it sounds as if the sensors are functioning correctly, but something has been installed out of time.

Are you attempting to start the engine as it was delivered to you, or have you performed due diligence and completely disassembled, then re-assembled to ensure everything was done correctly...?

6. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Is this a Motronic 2.7 or 5.2 car?

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Perhaps, but I thought carbs on the 355 were phased out a few years earlier.

8. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Its a 5.2 version.

9. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Into bike as well throttle bodies not carbs.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Simon is it possible the wires from the main ecu are mised up. The 95 coils get their firing commands from the coils so its hard to mix up but on the newer ones it comes from the main ecu. If the wires are mixed up the firing order will be as well.

Someone smarter than me could possibljy give better advice but i think!!! You can switch the wires right at the coil to do a test.