Project GothCovini: Catalyst Thermocouple ECU / TCU | FerrariChat

Project GothCovini: Catalyst Thermocouple ECU / TCU

Discussion in '348/355' started by gothspeed, Sep 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #1 gothspeed, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finally completed!! ...... something that has been in and out of 'the works' for more years than I'd like to admit .... :eek:

Most if not all of us have had some experience with the infamous Vescovini TCUs and not always in a good way ... so as usual .... I had to go and put something together to help reduce CEL and SDL bulb wear .... :)

Note: potting process is being improved to make subsequent efforts more beautiful .... ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Once again Goth emerges from the GothCave with a solution!

You could make it more beautiful.....with mudflap girls on either side!

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Goth - very cool. So, what's the benefit (without giving away your secrets)?

My ony comment would be to make the housing the exact size as OEM. Of course, they don't pop out in the engine bay..

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks - dumb question: the mounting holes spacing is the same as stock I assume? From the photo, it looks wider (photos fool the eyes :))

5. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    #5 gothspeed, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
    Dave, since a couple of my TCUs were getting annoyingly intermittent and I had some extra time, I went ahead and finished up the old project ..... :eek:
    My benefit from stock, was material choice options and deleting my need to buy new ones ... :)

However, for some of my 'race' friends who may be running test pipes or exhaust mods ..... the GothCovini TCU trigger temps can be altered from stock .... to trigger at lower or higher temps to accommodate engine mods or fuel types ...... I am also thinking to make a 'switched version' .... that can have custom specified SDL trigger temps at each switch position .... :cool:

6. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Yes, mounting holes are 'stock' ... :)

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Nice work, Something I've had on the drawing board for several years but never got around to. No need to bother with it now.

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Too cool
    I am setting off my 348 SDL's intermittently. Ability to change for fuel and weekend hot rod setup would be sweet. Lighting off unburned fuel sets those suckers off fast :)

9. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    This is cool. I recently sourced Thermocouples at a cheap price and made a few units ready for plug and play. Its good to know there is an alternate solution possibly in the pipleine for the ECU's.

10. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    #10 Christof, Sep 5, 2016
  11. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Nice work Christof ... :) ........ but I think our thermocouples use the opposite connector ... :eek: ...... use the 'mate' to the one you used in the picture instead. The probe diameter looks a bit small too ... but if the flare is large enough it should work. Make sure the this thermocouple specification is the correct counterpart to the OE.
    Also make sure the braided shielding covers as much of the thermocouple wires as possible. In addition make sure the same braided shielding has good mechanical contact (crimped?) with the probe housing. As the thermocouple signal can be contaminated from various exterior sources. Such signal contamination will induce false readings by the TCU ..... and a good shield will help mitigate that contamination .... :)

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Nice work Goth! An alternative to the Viscovini boxes is gteat. I have been running off the shelf transmitters in my car for awhile with the idea of creating a better mousetrap but never took it to another level. Good job!

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Too cool, Goth! I love the idea of adjustability for those of us with non-stock setups.

Are you planning to eventually put these into production?

14. agnello11

agnello11 Karting

May 27, 2008
    Good work!

It is great to see some retro-engineered solutions being developed for the 348, particularly when they include more functionality. Outstanding!

15. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    #15 Christof, Sep 5, 2016
    It is a 3mm probe same as original (larger would not fit) and connector suits the 348 (i can see your ecu is different to mine). What size does the 355 use? I have noticed the 348 ECU's have a tail on them rather than the plug direct on the box.

I have been running this on mine for a few months now without any dramas

16. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Goth, like me, was assuming you had a 355 :)

You might want to complete your profile and list you have a 348 :)

17. Redlyne_mr2

Redlyne_mr2 Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2009
    Calgary, Alberta
    Full Name:
    Ryan D
    Hoping these go into production, I have a non working one I can send you for further testing.

18. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Me too! Great Job Goth!

What about thermo couples? I have used aircraft spruce and specialty TC's I forget which ones. They work with modification. I can't even remember the mod. I also have had mixed results as to TC longevity. Anyone have plans to make long lasting plug and play TC's?

19. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Drbob101 is already offering them for various models, including the 348 and 355. I have them in my car and IMO they are of higher quality than the originals they replaced.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes by mentioning this. That is most decidedly not my intent. Just FYI, nothing else. :)

20. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    cool. DrBob has done some good work with this whole SDL issue.

21. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    I did see some for sale on ebay however felt I could match the unit at a portion of the cost to myself. I am making a few for myself have a couple 348 mates locally that want some. I will have a few left at the end if there is any interest, if not I will hold onto them. I wont go into business making these but happy to provide advice for anybody interested. Also the quality of these probes is definitely better than original.

22. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #22 drbob101, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    Thanks Mike for the mention.

The TC specs for every model are unique. The variables are the probe diameter, probe length, distance from tip of probe to seating ferrule, length of conductor, connector type, angle of bend in the probe to match OEM look and thread and pitch size of the compression nut.

I have spec'd and made these up to fit and look like OEM for TR/512, 550/575, 348, 355 and 360. They are all custom made and hand assembled. The probe designs are unique for each model and not generic.

You might be able to adapt generic TC that will work successfully as well. I have tried to reproduce the specs and overall appearance characteristics of the OEM units using a more robust strain relief and design than the OEM parts at an approx. 50% price point.

I have mucked around adapting some off the shelf voltage transmitters (SDECU) as well and currently have them installed in my car. They aren't to OEM spec in terms of the initial voltage output and have limitations. What Goth is doing is the correct alternative and if they prove out as being more reliable and less expensive than OEM that will be great.

Kudos to him for getting to this point. I started down that path and the unique design and technical factors are formidable and dampened my enthusiasm for moving forward with it.
    His units last look great!

23. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    Thank you all for the good words .... and with nice thermocouples currently being made as well (drbob101 and christof) .... these erroneous SDL faults may finally be history! .... :)

The new GothCovinis are doing very well .... they are currently communicating nicely with the engine ECU :cool: ... Though I am still going to implement some upgrades on subsequent versions to further enhance utility, appearance and longevity .... :D

Now ... I wanted to get some opinions from those with some experience racing their 355/360s ..... as of now I am considering a basic stock replacement ..... and ..... a dual temperature switch version ....... one position at stock temperature trigger ...... and the second position maybe 100° - 150°F or so higher? ...... would more than one or two switch positions be necessary? What do you guys think?

24. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Excuse my ignorance but will this allow me to run no cats on my 98 without throwing codes or is it just to prevent the SDL?

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Running test pipes is a post CAT O2 sensor issue - nothing to do with this...