New 348/Mondial T Waterpump at Ricambi America | FerrariChat

New 348/Mondial T Waterpump at Ricambi America

Discussion in '348/355' started by Ricambi America, Oct 19, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#1 Ricambi America, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'm running out the door to catch a performance at my son's school, but want to post up this way-cool (pun intended) waterpump that we've just received into inventory:

143275 WATER PUMP (348/MOND T) REPRO - Ricambi America, Inc.

These are designed by a fellow Fchatter, and of similar quality to our 355/360/550 pumps that he also supplies to Ricambi America.

From the manufactuer "The impeller is a proprietary design eliminating stock design deficiencies which see inherent cavitation (little or no coolant flow) issues especially above 5000rpm. Bearing quality and longevity was tested for multiple hundreds of hours, both in and out of test bed cars, at varying side loads above that of its intended use as well as pressure and heat loads to simulate the most grueling conditions. As an added protection, the casting is anodized to help eliminate moisture from affecting or entering the bearing area."

We have a limited stock available immediately, with more on the way.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Nice

I am always in search of cavitation

Thats the reason I run clear sight tubes

I will be ordering one soon I have a list somewhere of stuff I need

3. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    WOW, wish this was availble 4 months ago! had to pay quite a bit more than $450 for an OEM pump. Great looking part.

4. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I love it! It's so purdy.

That impeller is a WAAAAAAYYYY superior design to the original. The plastic impeller on my original pump ended up breaking. No worries about that with this impeller.

Outstanding price too!

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hi all. I am incredibly pleased these are finally available. We went through 4 prototype stages, mainly experimenting with impeller designs until the 4th iteration (above) yielded results we were pleased with. CFD, testing, and road testing were all used.

Make no mistake gents, these are a legitimate upgrade and not just for coolant flow. With this type of impeller design there is less load to the engine to run the pump, especially at higher rpm. Energy required to drive the pump is not very different from 5000rpm as 7500rpm. The old straight vane design impeller has a very linear energy cost up the rpm range, but this modern design tapers off around 4500-5k rpm saving about 50% overall energy.

With the 355 engine and all engines forward, Ferrari swapped to this design for good reason. It pleases me to no end we have not only upgraded an incredibly important component, but have also brought it into the realm of something anyone would consider adding during a major minus reservations due to the sobering cost of an OE unit, or just to add one at any time as they truly are that beneficial.

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Terrific job, and terrific price too.

Thank you for this.

I did my major last April, but for my next one you can bet the bank that I will be getting one of these.

7. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    #7 ghardt, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Daniel, do you know if the bearing was made in the USA? Brand of bearing?

8. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    SKF bearing from the EU

9. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Great new product. Next engine out I'm in.

10. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Beautiful. Wish it came on the market a few months earlier for my service :).

Is it a virgin casting based around the SKF bearing, or a modified core? Still advised to change with every major, or is it a longer anticipated interval with the spec of this pump?

11. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    New virgin castings, new proprietary bonded seal, new everything. Tested to the hilt.

We have many hundreds of hours testing these things and can say the bearing is better than OEM as the type of grease used in the bearing is more robust, but because these engines have SO much riding on the timing belt, I would replace with every service no matter what, but that's just me.

12. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John, I think people would benefit from the posting of your test data.

13. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    That thing is gorgeous. Probably as quiet as a modern Navy torpedo too. Wait, you didn't hear me say that. Awe no worries, I didn't "intend" to compromise national security. Back on point. That thing is wicked.

14. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    very nice

15. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    +1

16. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    That is a good idea.

17. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Sorry guys. Not posting our data. This was a very pricey component to develop and manufacture so I am not giving away that data under any circumstance let alone for free.

18. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Results from testing?

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John,

I was not asking you to give away any of your design secrets - my apologies if you took it that way.

It is very common when people say one product out performs another to show how - often with life-cycle testing. I guess I don't understand why saying it went through X cycles before failure would be giving away anything.

20. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I have outlined the concept of how it works and why it works and that Ferrari themselves changed to this design with all future models, not to mention every major manufacturer on the planet uses a scroll type impeller for the same reasons. Sorry guys but that is the limit of what I will divulge.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #21 Dave rocks, Oct 21, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
    Just yesterday I received a call from a large Aerospace company who has interest in one of my patent products. He was interested in some load data as it's a clamping device.

His questions were fair and reasonable and we have the data but we've just not had a chance to post it.

We had taken several units to a test lab and blew them up. I was happy to provide the customer those results as it does not give away any secrets to my design - in fact, it helps sell the product :)

Best of luck on your venture, John. It does look nice and perhaps I will get one of your pumps for my 355

22. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Definitely do that. I offer a better warranty than OEM on all my stuff as I know for certain what we make is superior, and thankfully with hundreds of installs I have yet to see a failure.

Thanks all!

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Happy to consider it for the 95 355 I'm rebuilding, John. But, I'll need data to convince me :D :) :cool:

That's just the engineer in me :)

24. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    No big, plenty speak for its superiority. Or just buy one install it, you will be pleased. Ferrari and the entire automotive industry using this type of impeller design are not doing it just because it looks cool. Showing my specific test results (other than guaranteeing it is unequivocally superior and parasitic energy to drive the pump is notably lower) is completely out of the question though, as an engineer you of all people should know that's not worth nothing and what I am stating absolutely makes sense when comparing to the archaic OE design.

Best to all, and enjoy this fall weather. I hope everyone is driving and not busy restoring an old car like me, during this perfect weather.....

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm a bit of a purist, John. Also, when it comes to purchasing anything aftermarket, I rarely do so without supporting data. Someone saying it's better does not prove to me it's better :)

I don't understand your reasoning at all because I can't understand how providing information to support the integrity of the design would in anyway hurt you - it would help IMHO. Of course, posting propriety design details, materials, etc is a totally different story and I fully support, respect, and appreciate that.