355 toolkit case | FerrariChat

355 toolkit case

Discussion in '348/355' started by malex, Nov 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I've a US spec, '97 355. My toolkit case is in really bad shape and I'm looking to replace it. Unfortunately, every time I look for a 355 case, it's the full height case (includes the tire inflation cannister inside) - basically the same as the case that came with the 348's.

My case is half-height, i.e. the case is too small to fit the tire inflation cannister. The cannister itself is encased in foam, then a thick, rectangular shaped vinyl covering that zippers at the top, then inside a cloth bag. Is this the correct toolkit arrangement for my year 355?

I'm at work and don't have any pics of the case on my phone. When I get home tonight, I'll try to remember to post a pic if it'd help anyone.

Alternatively . . . . . if anyone has any leads on a really good leather guy who could restore/refurb my case and bring it back to OEM condition, I'm all ears. My case is water damaged, and is warped and has large dark stains so not sure what can be done with it. but at some point, it's probably cheaper to source a replacement case.

Thanks all!

2. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Mark,

You have the correct tool kit combo. Our '97 has the same kit as you.

It seems that there are at least 3 types of kits going from the tall case in smooth leather, to the tall case in pebbled leather to the the short square sided case in smooth leather with the separate fix a flat to a 360 type sandwich case in some late 1999 models.

I would see if your case can be repaired.

Schedoni accepts damaged products at their factory in Italy and fixes them at no charge, but that is normally for broken handles, straps, or rivets. Not sure on staining.

It would probably be easier to find a like new case separated from a wrecked car. Then you could part out the rest of your kit.

I am actually in need for a couple of the brown trays for a case for our challenge car. So if you pick up a new case, give me a pm.

Robb

3. troppoveloce

troppoveloce Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2006
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The best leather craftsman I've ever seen is Justin at JK Automotive Designs in Stoneham MA. They're doing some work with my 348 right now and I was thinking of having them re-do my tool case as well. Give them a call and speak to Jeremy or Justin. (781) 438-2379. You can also do a search for them on Facebook to get a look at some of their recent work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    #4 Enzojr, Nov 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thinking this is what you have ?
    Mine is NOT for sale, I did not get the tire inflator with my car when I bought it.
    I don't even have this in my car, just the tow hook.
    Mine is a 97' US spec spider, so also has the small spider top tool kit.
    I would be calling the flat bed long before I break out the tool kit on the side of the road.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Yeah, I don't need the tools. So if I find a complete tool kit, I'll pm you about parting it out with me just keeping the case.

6. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Thanks for the referral Tom. I'll give Justin a call and send some pics to see if he can resurrect the case for a reasonable amount.

7. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    That's the one. For whatever reason, I can find the taller case all day long. It's this case that's tough to find - at least one in nice condition for a reasonable price.

Fuzzy pic but your case looks pristine. Mine looks like sh . . . well, let's just say less pristine.

8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    #8 Enzojr, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It's not :(
    The back side rubbed on the straps (rivets) before I owned the car.
    The scrapes look worse in real life and are 3-4 " long.

Post a "wanted" ad in the Ferrari parts section ;)
    Certain someone has one somewhere.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Does anyone know when they changed from the tall type cases to the short? I have an October 1995 F355 B.

10. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Ferrari parts manual shows the tall kit for the 1995 model year and the short kit after that.

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m2-7-1995/tools-equipment.html

https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/355-group/f355-m5-2-1996/tools-equipment-top-emergency-tools.html

For an exact transition day/VIN, I would tend to believe that no one has that information. ;)

11. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Wade, it seems you are right that nobody knows. I have a late 1995 but with AGIP panels in the engine bay with a single fuel pump. Some people have suggested that short boxes in the US started in September but others say November while others say, it is based on "model year". I think it was more about what parts they had in the factory at the time and not so much a smooth transition.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, your last sentence is the key. Unless something is safety related, "use up existing assets/resources first..."

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Interesting. How does one reach out to Schedoni for this?

14. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My 97 Spider came with the tall tool kit when I got it, no wat to know if it was original to the car on a replacement someone picked up but if seen lot of 355 for sale with the tall case.

15. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Anything can happen over the years. Nowadays many of these cars don't have tools kits or Owners Manuals (with leather pouch), especially if they went through a dealer auction. Lot's of pilfering for secondary profits.

BTW, the PO of my 1990 348 ts bought a new tool kit from Ricambi. However, it was a 355 kit.

16. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    yeah my car had the original toolkit, covers, manual and pouch, and 17 years of history in a binder. It was all missing when it got to me. I'd really just like the history binder. I now have 9 years of history but that it.

17. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My '98 has the short leather tool kit and a short leather bag for the "fix a flat". I've seen a lot of the Fix a flats in a light blue pebble textured bag but mine is leather as well to match the tool kit.

18. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    In general,

'95 = tall kit
    All else = short

Robb