Anyone put Rhino Lining underneath front spoiler? | FerrariChat

Anyone put Rhino Lining underneath front spoiler?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ryalex, Dec 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Going to get the bumper looked at for a patch up and respray. 10,000 miles since March and it's looking rough under there - I had my first scrape within an hour of getting it, trying to get up the driveway.

I had a random thought about getting the underside coated with a harder surface like Rhino Lining that could resist the gouging and scratching. Has anyone done that?

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Are you touching down on more than just the pads?

I had the thought that it would be nice to reduce the height of the factory pads by the thickness of the add-on ones during painting. (so you have a replaceable surface that doesn't further reduce clearance).

I think Rhino lining or similar would scrape off just like paint.

3. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Mostly the pads, but the area in front of them is scraped up and cracked/chipped too. A few rubs with parking blocks (or worse, the rebar sticking out of a parking block).

4. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I put something similar on my Z a few years back and it worked great. It does scratch off but it does protect and is easy to touch up if you use the spray type. It won't protect a big hit but slight scrapes like coming out of a drive way etc it will help.

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    No offence to anyone, maybe the streets are different where you are... but is it really that hard not to scrape up the bumper? Learning some techniques certainly seems easier than rhino lining the bumper.

I agree it takes some effort, but my 355 is dang near slammed and ive never scraped. Sure, there are driveways you must avoid, bumps you have to go around and you will have to go out of your way angle off certain ramps, buts its completely doable.
    My z06, cts-v and even my camaro were lower, never scraped either

6. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am an inferior driver. Definitely not as perfect as you so it seems.

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I doubt that, I did not want to come off that way, all I was trying to say was a little technique and avoidance will go a long way

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

8. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Me too, but with that said I'd never put rhino lining on the bottom of my Ferrari.

9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Ryan -

You've worked hard enough for that F355! Don't put Rhino Liner on it.

How about if I send you some Hill Engineering skid plates as a early-Xmas gift? PM me your current addy and they'll go out immediately.

10. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Dupont makes a black rubberized compound that dies into a hard rubber... Autobody places sell it as an undercoating. Works well, cheap...not sure if its paintable but is your spoiler black? Similar to the stuff on the underside of porsches/Ferraris...

11. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #11 ryalex, Dec 1, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, it's probably largely how they do roads, curbs and intersections to be flash flood channels here. I learned to take my driveway at a near 90° angle, one tire at a time. But also clipped steep angles on commercial parking lots, certain roads/intersections with drainage channels, and construction zones with steel plates.

But mine even scrapes on this in my bank parking lot:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Daniel & Ricambi - Always a great supporter of the Ferrari community!

13. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    That looks like a pretty gentle valley.

Have you checked to see if your car is at the stock US ride height?
    When I got my car it was lowered on the adjustable coil-overs all the
    way, and scraped a lot. Much better after setting it back to factory
    height and the car seems to handle just as well
    but I'm not a pro driver or anything. Also much smoother over bumps
    than before.

14. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    NOTHING you put there is tougher then pavement and concrete.
    Everything will wear. Even steel.
    Coatings for this purpose are worthless.
    Any coating will wear through very quickly.

Your best bet is to use skid plates which are easily removable and replaceable.
    Cut your own from a sheet of Delrin, Nylon, or Aluminum if you like DIY

15. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #15 ryalex, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    No kidding, it looks like barely 2" of vertical shift. But if I take either of those first two spots straight on, "schhh-h-h-h"

Actually I am not sure about the springs. It looks perfect to me as far as the wheel arch gaps, which funny enough might mean it was lowered a tad since Ferrari has a tendency to leave them sitting high from the factory.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

top, top, top, gentleman! Daniel I hope you are well!!!

Cheers,

Peter

17. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    IIRC, the distance from the ground to the lift points is 3.25 / 3.25. I believe the front bumper is a tad more.

On my 98, I've only scraped on time.....

I was going down a steep road and saw construction at the bottom of the hill so I turned around in a steep driveway off the steep hill and boom! I was really pissed :)

Aside from that time, I always enter approaches, etc on an angle and have had not other incidents but it only takes one time :(

18. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Nicely done Daniel!

19. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Not enough clearance. Sounds like that car was lowered, or the springs sagged. The car is supposed to be just under 5" of clearance and the lift points are not that thick.

20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Correct, Vince. My memory was off. Just measured mine 4.5" to lift points. But, under trays are lower. That is probably what I was thinking.

21. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Wow. That's awesome. And the correct answer to the question at hand.

Ryan, if you drive the car, these things happen. It's OK. Solutions exist.,..and you were just handed one. Excellent.

I had my front bumper sprayed each year for the first three years of ownership...learning curve being what is is and all. Clear bra and good skid plates fixed it for me.

22. FCOnyx

FCOnyx Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2012
    Round Rock, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This might be obvious, so pardon me if stating it is obtuse.... but a buddy of mine with a (muscle car that shall not be named) has a really low aftermarket front splitter. If he hits a parking block it'll basically rip the entire thing off. So as soon as he bought it he went to an empty parking lot, pulled up to a curb/block, but left a ton of space. Got out, looked to see how much room he had from the bumper to the block. He adjusted the car forward a bit in small, careful increments until he was happy... about 2 feet short of the curb/block, but with the tail of the car well-inside the parking space.
    He then got back in the driver's seat and looked at the bottom of his side mirrors and how they lined up with the curb in front. He made a mental note of exactly where the curb line should be on both sides in regards to the mirrors, knowing that when he lined things up this way he would still be safely back from any tall objects in front (since most curbs/blocks are around the same height it should be a good general guide).

After I scuffed my front a few times on curbs when I first got my car I started using this method and haven't touched one since. I got my bumper re-sprayed a couple of years ago and wanted to do everything possible to keep from ruining the pristine new paint. So far, so good. Try it, it might work for you as well.

23. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Just wondering how much this technique is affected by head height... You may have to ensure that the seat remains in the same position. Also, it's known that people are taller in the morning than they are in the evening. After a hard 11 hour day at work, I sometimes found myself adjusting the mirrors in my daily driver to be able to see out the back window (to compensate for my shrunken, weary body... and again in the morning after good night's rest). :p

24. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Just stop way short always, the 355 is so short you could stop 6ft out and all not sick out more than any truck or suburban