'95 355 top problems | FerrariChat

'95 355 top problems

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Dec 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Had the car at a FShop for a top "bug" which may be user error:
    top going up, seats go forward, windows come down, would start coming up & stop about 1/2 way, beep 3 times & stop. release & press the button again, it would continue up.

Took it to a shop who found no errors (SD2) and didn't have issue. Dang. And once the top goes down for Spring, it doesn't come up until winter. So it's been down for months.

Well, it's too cold for top-down driving in the NNJ anymore.
    Took the car out (top down) for a quick ride to circulate fluids & to put the top up.
    Came home, engine running E-brake on. Same deal : seats forward, windows down, partial up & three beeps. but that was it. wont go up or down. Seats wont move, windows wont move.
    Used the emergency button & I hear a relay near the motor clicking, but nothing else. The console switch does the same. I could manually coax the top down some, but not into lock position and I'm not going to force it. I can coax it up, but not enough for those "elbow hinges" to engage at the firewall & hence I can't lock it down.

Now I can probably drive it to the shop an hour away with the top the way it is, but NOT with the seats so that my knees are near my chest (I'm 6'3").

A *quick* glance at the fuses doesn't show a blown one.

Any ideas before I call a flatbed on Monday?
    thanks.

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Fluid Clyde?

3. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    +1 ... fluid level ... :)

4. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    In Spring, the fluid was fine. But since I have to pull the console to check those specific fuses...lemme look

Or wait. Do you mean my fluid level - not enough Jack Daniels to reduce the stress from these niggles? My fluid level is definitely below the Min line.

5. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Son of a gun.
    the level is a smidge above the min line. But I could use some more.
    I saw somewhere it can use Jack oil? or is there MB oil? I know I filled it a couple years ago. I'll have to find that oil.

But no that wasn't the issue. the 30amp fuse wasn't blown, but it wasn't working either. I metered it. somewhere between closed & open favoring open. Dang. Swapped with a good 30amp & the to is working. :)

The top is now closed. Covered with yellow fairy dust.

Thanks

Now if I can't find the top oil, I think I'll just fill my fluid level a little to release the stress :)

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Found a 2011 thread. : Mercedes Benz ZH-M and found my qt. woo hoo!

7. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Mine was a bit sluggish and adding fluid gave it a boost.

My concern is where does this fluid go? If it's evaporation then doesn't that imply higher viscosity and issues with that going forward?

Fingers crossed it keeps working as it does. I'd add to the mac line and see what that does.

8. gothspeed

gothspeed F1 World Champ

May 26, 2006
    U.S.A.
    Full Name:
    goth
    The disappearing fluid is the 'angels share' .... ;)