F355 Secondary air injection shut off valve opening pressure | FerrariChat

F355 Secondary air injection shut off valve opening pressure

Discussion in '348/355' started by salbrech, Dec 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Hello guys,

I wanted to share some information about the secondary air injection sytsem
    My troubleshooting started when I discovered I had a constantly open exhaust valve. I found that the vacuum valve for the exhaust flap had water ingress and was constantly open. Since I had my pressure gauges ready, I could not resist and also measured the pressures of the secondary air system.

However, I found that my secondary air injection valve is not opening when I start the car without touching the throttle and let it run on Idle (as per owners manual). Since damaged secondary air injection pumps (actually compressors) are a common problem, i thought this might be a heavy contributor to this.

Here are my measurements on Idle:
    Pressure at throttle tapping point: -0.2...-0.4barg
    Pressure in vacuum tank: -0.2barg
    Secondary shut of valve with original spring: starts opening@ -0.2....-0.25barg
    Secondary shut of valve with original spring: fully open @ -0.3barg

I then replaced the spring of the valve with one that allows the valve to be fully open with -0.15barg. Since there is check valve downstream that pneumatic actuated valve, I don't not see any risk doing that.

Would be great if some of you could confirm my measurements.

Best regards from Switzerland, Simon

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Fix the vacuum system and you won't have a problem. Making it work correctly does not require modifications, it requires making it work the way it was designed. Also air injection check valves are a service item. They get ignored until rust prevents proper operation and often damages upstream components.

3. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    What I wanted to say is that the spring strength of the secondary injection shut off valve is wrong. I am sure that -0.2barg of vacuum is normal for a individual throttle body design and the shut off valve does not take this into consideration. Just my two cents.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Don't know how that can be, those cars have been working perfectly since 1995 when they came out. Why is it now suddenly a faulty design? It is quite clear you do not understand how the vacuum system works. Go back to the books and figure it out.

5. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    #5 salbrech, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    I understand very well how the vacuum system works. However, I can not guarantee that my 20 year old car is still in "as new condition".

Anyway, next time you have a F355 in your workshop, can you take 5min and measure the pressure in the tank after switching on the car and also at what pressures the air injection shut off valves starts to open?

6. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    Rifledriver,
    I am still waiting that you provide me some measurement data to prove your statement that I have no idea how the vacuum system works.

However, I guess you attack people willing to contribute to the community to make you and your business look more professional.

Best regards

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I feel no need to prove the design works as built. Ferrari did that in 1995.

As for owing you something, you have a very highly developed sense of entitlement.

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #8 taz355, Jan 30, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thoight I would post a pic so you could identify which valve.

Correct me if I am wrong but you are saying the valve number 13 or 22 does not open. I assume you mean 13
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    you need to check both valves and the secondary air pump for pressure. Just because you have opened that valve early does not mean the others work now.

Further more I dont understand how you were not getting a code from the car. Obviously your cats were not heating up as designed etc if the valve is not working.

This should have been your first clue.

Brian can correct me if I am wrong but that valve being stuck should not have effected the vacume.

What I also dont understand is if the exhaust valve was open from idle why would you have your gauges ready when no vacume exists initially. The valve opens with vacume if they are original and will only stick open if the valve is stuck open.

10. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Also check your idle rpm to make sure it is correct.

11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Come on now Brian... Even you have to admit that's a pretty outlandish statement about a 355 or any other Ferrari for that matter. Thier engineers seem to have gotten plenty of things wrong over the years that took, at times, a very long time to be figured out and re-engineered. Way more design flaws than any large scale manufacturer would be able to get away with.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

How the fu@k is my statement outlandish?

Can you identify a single design problem with the air injection system that prevents it's proper operation when it is working as designed and installed?

Yea, that's what I thought.

13. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I love the way you jest, you're such a light hearted and funny guy. We can sit here and list Ferrari design and engineering screwups all night... Literaly. So it wouldn't be some massive, impossible shock if something not quite right with this or any other system comes to light.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    This entire thread is about 355 air injection system function. If there was a problem with system design there would be 50 threads like there is about valve guides or sticky plastic parts. The cars are 22 years old and finding new engineering issues is long past.
    Sorry for trying to stick to the subject.

15. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    #15 salbrech, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Thanks for all the replies, however what I miss in this topic is a more "data based approach".

I would therefore appreciate if someone with a F355 could verify my readings mentioned earlier:

1st item:
    What is the Idle vacuum tank pressure right after startup without throttle? mine is -0.2barg or -3psig. This was confirmed by other users in some other threads/forums. The low value is typical for the the ITB design (individual throttle body). Some time later Ferrari intruded on an other car a cam shaft driven vacuum pump on ITB cars,.. guess why? And guess why the F355 is using an electric-pump driven brake booster instead of the cheaper vacuum booster?

2nd question:
    At what vacuum pressure is the pneumatic actuated secondary air injection valve opening? Mine is starts opening with -0.225barg and is fully open at -0.3barg. Therefore on Idle the valve stays closed and the air injection pump is running against closed valve for 2min. I also confirmed this by letting the pump and valve run with the outlet hose of the valve disconnected and checking for flow.

Some comments about the Ferrari engineering:
    I don't understand why some people criticize others for criticizing the quality of the F355 engineering and flaws. In the field I am working (software/safety systems testing of gas-turbines, nuclear power stations, etc...), there is always tons of design flaws inside, which are then solved/improved one by one; of course some are also "surviving" for decades because they are simply not found and would only cause malfunction in a very very unlikely chain of events. However, the overall designs principles (fail safe, safe fail, redundancy, etc...) are normally so good that the "little" design flaws are not dangerous.

Especially with low production manufacturers (like Ferrari), there is IMHO significant amount of design flaws inside: i.e. the F355: Airbag warning light, the exhaust system, the immobilizer system is user unfriendly, sticky throttle (guess an age issue), sticky interior plastics (an age/cleaning issue), cracking CV boots, IMHO the vacuum system and secondary air injection, diverse false plausibility-alarms from Engine CPU, HVAC actuator controls, etc, etc, etc...

However, the F355 is not known as a widow maker, so these flaws are not dangerous, but they are existing. Some of them are even surviving up to now (for example sticky interiors).

So I really don't understand why some people want us to believe that no new discoveries can be made on a 20 year old car. It's possible that some "facts" must be judged again because of aging of components or simply because old judgments were incomplete. However, especially on a simple system like the vacuum system, where values can be measured withing minutes, I expect from a forum more input by technical data than just personal attacks.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I don't want to sound impolite, but honestly, I don't think anyone cares.

Rifledriver likes this.
  17. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What is the purpose of the valve on the outlet of the pump?

Are the check valves on the manifolds weak enough to allow air to be drawn in via venturi effect if that valve was not in place?

18. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Those are one way valves that allow fresh air to go from pump to exhaust but prevent hot exhaust gas from going back to pump.

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes I know what the valves are on the manifolds, the question is why is there one also needed on the outlet side of the pump.

20. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The valves at the manifolds are one way valves. Because of vacuum caused buy the exhaust gasses drawing air past them you still need to shut off air flow to prevent the O2s from seeing it as a lean condition. The valve by the pump is a shut off valve.

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I think we understood that but perhaps James was asking why it's needed when the pump could just be shut off? (at least that is what I'm wondering) :)

22. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Because shutting of the pump doesn't close the air path. I think Brian explained that Dave. O2 sensors who see excess O2. Also, if not shut off air could be drawn through the pump and it would start spinning like a turbine, adding to pump wear. A pump is basically a turbine in reverse. With a pump you apply shaft work and move the fluid and increase pressure. With a turbine, fluid flows from high pressure to low, and you extract shaft work.

23. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John - the first part of your post is negated with the check valves at the manifolds, however, the second part makes good sense - thanks :)

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #24 Rifledriver, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
    Check valves only stop reverse flow.

There are many air injection systems with no pump. Exhaust extraction draws the air in unaided. Pump or no pump the air needs to be shut off. A centrifugal pump is just not going to do that job. It works like a water pump. Do you really think if the belt is off water cant flow through a water pump? You can see through it, no need to spin.

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Got it - thanks - I was missing the exhaust gas draw...