Question for folks who have owned 328s and 355s | FerrariChat

Question for folks who have owned 328s and 355s

Discussion in '348/355' started by GLS12, Dec 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I currently have an early 1988 328 GTS. I have owned the car almost five years now and I greatly enjoy it. I am, however, considering either buying a 355 berlinetta or GTS and keeping the 328 or selling the 328 and buying a 355 berlinetta or GTS. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has (or has had) both cars and has thoughts on differences between the cars and which they ultimately enjoy(ed) more. I am aware of the maintenance differences in terms of doing belts and of the various achilles' heels on 355 engines that one needs to be aware of. Many thanks in advance.

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Do a search.
    This question has been asked & addressed several times and has been responded by owners with both models.

3. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    I have both and love them both.
    328 is old school. 355 is powerful and nimble. 355 you could daily drive it's so comfortable. 328 not so much. Both beautiful designs and iconic.

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Had a 87 328, and I still have sellers remorse. Had it for 3 years and nothing major ever went wrong with it. Did track days a couple of times with it, and that created a few small (inexpensive) issues. Remember 100 less hp than a 355.
    The 328 is pretty tame compared to my 355, which is faster, louder and really a step up in performance. I have a 3 pedal car and still love to shift it.
    Drive a 355 or take a ride in one if you can, things will become clear decision wise instantly.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Triple your cost of ownership. That's a 355 in a nut shell. 328 is old and slow, but so is a 355. IMHO I would hang on to the 328. Or skip the 355 and go to a 360 or 430..

6. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Owned a 328. Beautiful and iconic from posters on the wall growing up, but very dated in my opinion in the comfort, controls, and build experience. (They say never to meet your heroes.) I did and still like it very much but would not drive it as much today if I still owned it based on what I have experienced with other F-cars since.

Bought an F355 Berlinetta. Beautiful. Will never feel dated to me. Epic drive, sound, and better in all departments.

Drive both and see what makes your day.

Robb

7. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    Put it this way....I had an 89 328 and when I brought it to Algar for service was when the 355 came out and they wanted me to drive it..I really did not even want to drive it, but they would not take no for an answer..One ride and I did not even want my 328 anymore!..You really can not even compare these cars..

8. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My 355 has cost near nothing in maintenance over 4 years. I wish people would stop spreading this phony horror stories.

Have not owned a 328 so I can't compare but a 355, even at 20 years old is still electrifying :)

9. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I have owned a 308 QV and am on my second 355. The 308 was great fun and has much more of a vintage feel. The 355 screams and will out drive the 308 in just about every situation. Easier to keep your foot down in the twisties with the 308 since there is not much extra HP to get you in trouble. The 355 will spin out if you to slam on the throttle while in a corner. Both are great cars but the 355 will leave a bigger grin on your face if you want a rush.

10. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The search engine on this site rivals a 1700's internet connection; non-existent.

Nothing wrong with the OP asking for people's opinion, otherwise shut the site down and use Google.

11. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Owned early and later 328s. Now have a 355 which I have owned longer than the 328s. Driving experience is much better IMO. I've driven newer models. Happy to keep owning my 355 indefinitely.

12. SeattleM5

SeattleM5 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 9, 2006
    Kirkland, Washington
    Full Name:
    Ettore Palazzo
    I own both. I've had the 328 for about 10 years and the 355 for a year and a half. Both are fantastic cars. I frequently drive them back to back as I need to move one to get to the other which resides on a storage lift. I echo all the prior statements regarding performance differences between the two but truth be told, the smile is always a little bigger after getting out of the 328.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Depends on what you expect. I own a 308 GTB. It's the perfect sports car, period. The lines are perfect, the car is a perfect balance of power, handling and effort. But you need to respect it because it can bite you at 6/10 if you're not paying attention. I also own a 355 spider. Fantastic car. I drive it a lot more than the 308 even though I think the 308 is more of a driver's car. Why, because the top goes down, period! I have issues with the 355. The power assisted steering it too lite. The clutch is too heavy. If you live for track days the 355 is probably the better choice; I don't track. On public highways I really can't enjoy the 355, on a performance basis, at anything close legal speeds. Good thing the top goes down. If the 355 were a B, for me, it would just be another fast car. I have no intension of selling the 308, but with the 355 I am constantly thinking about moving to a 430 spider.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    John, moving to a 430 will just enhance even more the attributes that you don't like about the 355 :)

15. GLS12

GLS12 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2011
    Occupied VA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I appreciate folks' thoughts on this. Certainly it sounds like I need to drive a 355, which I had already concluded. However, after reading folks' posts, I am somewhat concerned that the 355 may have too much ass behind it for my purposes: one of the things i really love about my 328 is that I can have fun in twisty bits and get going a little fast (but not too fast) on public roads and have great fun without being terribly concerned that I am going to get myself in trouble with the car (i.e. spinning off the road or something). Sounds from some of the prior posts that the 355 may not meet that requirement as the 100 greater hp may hurt the ability to have the type of fun I have in the 328.

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yes, F430 is just another fast car. However, more refined, better interior, better reliability, better styling. I know most will disagree; I did too when I bought the 355. But park a 355 next to a 430, drop your bias, and the beauty of the 430 comes through, particularly with the coupes. Scoops in the doors is what attracts people to the 355. It's really the only stand out styling feature. Particular improved with the 430 are the interior styling and comfort, which the 355 is still pretty old school. And that's where I spend most of my time.

Frankly the my major issues with the 355 is the dichotomy between the feel of the clutch and steering. You know I have been very consistent on that. It's dumb a$$ backwards. IMO, when driving, gear shifts should be effortless, thoughtless. Steering should take some effort and provide feedback.

17. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I think the 430 is an awesome car - it was the first Ferrari I ever drove. I happen to fully enjoy the 355 experience. The interior is the most comfortable of any car I've ever owned which is quite a suprise. My point was, the elements of the 355 you don't like will be even more so in a 430. And it's OBDII and has an immobilizer :D

For me, I prefer the looks of a 355 to a 430. My goal is to add a 458 but we are going very O/T here :)

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    You sound a lot like me with regard to usage. I don't think you would have to worry about the rear stepping out with a 355. It's well planted. In some ways the on/off throttle behavior of the 3x8 is more dramatic. The problems is that with the 355 on the street, you can not get the same feel or excitement as a 3x8 just going "a little fast". Opinions may vary.

19. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    Beauty Is truly in the eyes of the beholder..So, there is really no right or wrong..It does not matter to me if I see a 355 next to a 430..I do not think it looks good or really like the interior, but that is just my opinion..and with the 355 its not just the scoops..Its the stance!!

20. 4respy

4respy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2014
    los angeles
    Full Name:
    steve
    John, If I were you and felt that way, then I would get an F430!..Life is too short!

21. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Based on the old adage of more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow, I agree that the 328 would be more fun in the twisties on comparable tires.

Beyond that, I still think the 355 is a better driving experience. But then I realize my 355 experience is biased by my street legal 355 Challenge with old rain tires. If comparing a 328GTS with a 355 Spider, I'd stay with the 328 when twisties street driving in the US.

Track/race driving, long distance runs, in-town trips with parking, other countries such as Germany or UK, or even staring at it during cars/coffee: 355 is my choice.

22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    308/328 are beautiful cars. I keep looking at them but would definitely need to drive one before considering a purchase. Maybe you can get some time behind the wheel of a 355?

And as far as the 430, JMO but I don't think it comes anywhere near the F355 in terms of looks. I really tried to like it more as it's a more logical decision to buy a car requiring less maintenance. Ultimately decided I really loved the 355 styling and sound so that's what I got.

Scud looks pretty bad ass. Front bumper fixes the big oval nostril look and overall is just a lot more aggressive. (but now your only choice is F1 gearbox)

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I agree with you that beauty is subjective. As for moving to a 430, it's timing and options other than Ferrari.

mclaudio: I'll just say that my 308 GTB gets a lot more attention than my 355 does at C&Cs, but a 308 QV GTB is a pretty rare car. Mine is one of 29 made for NA in '85, and probably(?) the only one that is a one owner car.

24. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Keep both. They are different.

25. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    The F355 is generally more expensive to maintain, but if you already have a 328 then you know what you're getting into.

Other than that, you have to really think about which one speaks to you. Make a mental list (or an actual list) of what you want in a car, and how the 328 and 355 each delivers those items. Both cars are very striking in appearance--more so than the 360 which looks sleeker but less dramatic.

As Mitchell says, there is a world of difference between them--if you can, having both would be the best.