Teenagers discussing 355 maintenance costs | FerrariChat

Teenagers discussing 355 maintenance costs

Discussion in '348/355' started by Nader, Jan 5, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    Stumbled into this video. Don't know who these youngsters are, but they do a decent job talking some sense (dollar and cents! Hah!) about Ferrari ownership costs. Anyone here know this car?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hUyTFSj08U

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    This kid is a professional You Tuber - he probably makes a million a year ;)

Nearly 300K subscribers...

I bet he is a member here too :)

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    A good bit of Eww-t00b hyperbole there but perhaps a reality check for those who want to buy a Ferrari and not maintain it themselves. I'd love to see a comparison of the actual cost of ownership of a 355 vs. a 458 once the 458 is out of warranty. Ferraris have always been spendy to keep but now that owners don't have the option of doing all of the work themselves ownership is gonna get spendier. I'm glad I remembered a long-time Ferrai owner's advice when I went shopping. :)

4. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    He is a member here.

As soon as he bought it, he needed a clutch which he was shocked about. That only leads me to believe he didn't do a PPI. So now he makes a video on how he spend an absurd amount of money on a car he just bought. When in reality, a good PPI would have spared him a lot of this.

5. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Haven't seen that video, but have watched a few of the others while you-surfing Ferrari videos. The channel is pretty light on content and a depth of factual accuracy from the few I've stumbled onto.

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    seriously though who cares
    if you buy a 355 for 60 and spend 40k its still well worth the money given how awesome of car it is. buying a car for 100k that doesnt need work is the same as buying one for 60 and spending 40k on it. much rather blow 100K on a 355 as opposed to a range rover, MB, or BMW etc

7. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Great more Drama Queens is what the world needs

8. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    that video was a waste of brain cells ill never get back. is this for real?
    OMG tires and brakes are so expensive? these guys cant be for real. who is their audience? high school kids who want to buy a ferrari on honda prices?

9. ricmat

ricmat Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Ricardo

I think of it as - you either buy the used car and pay these maintenance costs or you buy the new car, get free maintenance but pay devaluation..

So.. just buy the car you really love

(If these are all the receipts, it's actually not that bad... we've all seen examples of cars with $60k or even $80k spent over 5-10 years periods)

10. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    #10 phrogs, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    ******** that car goes into a shop they can just see $$$ because these idiots can't change their own oil.

Less talk about maintenance paperwork and the total money spent, and more talk about the actual maintenance preformed and maybe the shop that did this work, how in the **** does a car with a fresh engine out service all of the sudden have a valve guide issue that the owner could "feel" in less than 100 miles??

Clutch was checked good how did he burn it up in 5 miles and end up with a 7k bill? No actual breakdown of what all was done or what was actually wrong was it trippeseals or a leak.that toasted the clutch? Still a clutch swap is all I heard so a sensor, clutch and flywheel resurface for 7k? Screw that noise.

Lots of unanswered things here and only concentrating on the money spent, id rather see a real breakdown of the costs parts and labor seperated. Thats the learning curve these people need to learn.

All this video tells us is what happend to their car this is not normal at all.*

Also highschools need to get auto shop back in the mix.*

Whole video is a joke.

But nice plug for the signed posters...

11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Bwahahaha! So true, only this guy has figured out how to make being a drama queen into a profitable venture on Ew-t00b. Such are the times in which we live. :(

12. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I think their audience are similarly young guys who probably drive $20K and under cars, which is why maintenance costs like those would have such shock value and keep their audience interested in their video exploits.

If these young guys are indeed self-made at that age, I applaud them. They seem to understand the value of a dollar. Better than some videos I've seen of rich kids posing by the stuff their parents bought them.

13. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    My opinion, they're idiots.

That car was a bit of a roach. You could tell it had been through hell and back. The seller put lipstick on it and they bought it.

It was on eBay for months on end at a price below market...and now they whine on YouTube about how much it costs to maintain when all of their issues would've been apparent with even a decent test drive let alone a thorough PPI.

Their videos are cringe worthy but hey they've got a following of teeny boppers and they've monetized it, so more power to them. In a world of women making centi-millions starting off from shi#y sex tapes, these guys aren't so bad.

14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    They are not "self made". If you watch the video of "how he made his money" you can clearly see through the bull ****. They got their start from their parents and are trying to play it off as their own success to build a following.

Seems to be working...

15. BrianNYC14

BrianNYC14 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    Agreed that high schools need to bring back auto shop. Anyone else attend Mr. Charlesworth's class at Ramapo High? Good times.

Re: YouTubers income. The factor to consider here is views as opposed to subscribers. Other factors include the audience demo, skip-able video vs. non skip-able, seasonality (December is typically the highest month for advertiser costs, January is the lowest), mobile vs. desktop views, video length (more ads can be shown in longer videos), pricing model (CPM, CPC, CPCV, VCPCV) etc.

The JR Garage channel has roughly 24 million views. Accounting for the rev share with YouTube, content creators typically receive roughly $2 per 1,000 views (depending on the CPM charged to the advertiser and many other variables). My guess is that this channel has generated roughly $50K in earnings for these guys. I believe they made the majority of their money trading penny stocks and flipping cars.

Also worth noting, the majority of their audience is a younger demographic. Hence, video titles like "Don't buy a used Ferrari" are named accordingly to drive clicks / views (aka clickbait).

I applaud JR Garage for their entrepreneurial endeavors. However, this particular video did rub me the wrong way.

16. boxcarracer

boxcarracer Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2005
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Luigi
    We clearly aren't their target audience, but one thing's for sure - they're making good dime off YouTube. Defo not buying that self made bs though.

17. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    ^^^THIS!

18. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    saw that vid. it was a bit vague.

the only money they put into the car was the clutch and the capristo exhaust/test pipes.
    the rest of the invoices they reviewed was previous owner.

but something was always fishy when the clutch died literally a few kms after rolling it off the truck at delivery. especially after all the 'maintenance' that was done prior.

i watch the channel to see what they're up to with the 355.
    I beleive they bought Gothspeed exhaust ecu simulators and a set of bigdaddy spacers since they were having SDL and CEL issues with the test pipes etc.

they also bought a Gallardo Spider recently too.

19. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    He loves to show the sporty nature of the car... but I can't figure out why he drives his car around in comfort mode all the time :D

20. frascati

frascati Karting

Mar 5, 2012
    SF Bay Area, CA
    My 97 355 had $80k of service records when i bought it. These guys are looking to drive traffic and of course the cost to acquire vs cost to maintain has been a topic since the first high end car of the last century depreciated - but at macro level - the car can have it's issues as we all know. Where you take the car for service, which parts you use for replacement (oem vs. lower cost parts shared with other models or better engineered replacements), and of course how maintain and treat the car impact total cost of ownership. Mine has been great with maintenance and addressing things after frequent inspection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

21. fedgery77

fedgery77 Karting

Apr 18, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey
    I do subscribe to these guys on YouTube. They got popular when they made a video about driving kids to school in a Dodge Viper. I saw when they first bought the 355 and it literally broken down within 5 miles of driving it. They sunk $6K plus into clutch system, which like someone mentioned above, that indicates that they didn't do a PPI. They acted shocked when they found out it needed repairs.

They also just bought a Gallardo...which the top broke shortly after they bought it. Maybe they like buying cars with issues and fixing them?!

One of them is still in high school and their target audience is in fact high school kids. Their first claim as "business men" was opening a lemonade stand as kids. That's great. And they claim to have started five successful businesses but have never said what they are. You would think they would be using YouTube to promote their businesses.

The car has a Capristo exhaust on it which sounds amazing! I will give them credit for that!

22. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Latest venture is an exotic rental / exotic airport concierge / car storage operation with the above listed cars. However, the name is registered to their father's business, a cell phone and sim card rental operation, iirc. In touch USA or some such. According to reddit.

About Us ? Lusso Dream Cars

23. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

these kids are a joke......more $$ than sense.

SPOILED rich kids!!

24. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    You need about 1M subscribers to make about $10k a month.

25. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    A million a year from 300k subs? Maybe you were kidding but I so wish that were true... :)

GT