Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pirelli P Zeros | FerrariChat

Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Pirelli P Zeros

Discussion in '348/355' started by angerosa, Jan 16, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. angerosa

angerosa Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jason
    What's stickier? Is there a big negative one has over the other?

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Michelin Pilot Super Sports are great. I had P Zeros on my vette and would never buy them again...

3. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Another vote for PSS.

4. sdematt

sdematt Karting

Nov 16, 2015
    Vancouver, Canada
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I have PSS on my 911 and love them. I'm on my second set and can't complain.

5. MicroFirm

MicroFirm Karting

Dec 6, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I bought my car w/ new Hankook Adventus tires and they lasted 1 summer.
    The PSS last at least twice as long, I'm on my 2nd second now.
    I believe they have different rubber compounds along the tread patch so the inner tread lasts a lot longer with all the negative camber.

6. Wisky

Wisky Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Lee NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Michelin PSS are one of the best all around summer tire on the market right now IMHO. I replaced the Perelli on my F430 before they were worn out because I was so unhappy with them.

7. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    PSS is a fantastic tire, provided they're in stock, or don't go a months long backorder. Michelin does not do a particularly good job of managing production and inventories.

8. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Michelin PSS all the way

9. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    +1

10. joe1973

joe1973 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2016
    NJ
    Be careful. MPSS is a great tire for performance, but for everyday use I'm not in favor. I've tracked 911s with this tire and can tell you in the wet they're downright dangerous. What is the use of your car and decide best, safest option for yourself and others sharing the road with you.

11. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I have PSS on my 355 and m3. Good tire. Rides nice and quiet, balance well, no issues. I have never tried the Pirelli.

12. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    PSS all the way. Pirellis are crap.

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Nitto NT05 and pocket the difference. :)

14. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Michelin is the way to go.

15. Badabing!

Badabing! Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2014
    NYC
    Surprised to hear this from you. No doubt the PSS is the better tire considering the PZERO was developed when the car came out and is OEM vs the PSS which is more recent technology.

But the PZERO is the original tire and I know how you like the cars to be factory original.

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hey Neil,

My 98 came with Michelin. Not PSS but pilot sport IIRC (I have the window sticker)

I ran P zeroes on my 95 vette, they stick great but wore like crap and very expensive. The PSS's are wearing like iron

17. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Michelin....I'm amazed at the performance compared to the Bridgestones that were previously on the car. First thing I noticed was the sound of them picking up particles off the road surface....sticky.

18. angerosa

angerosa Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Truth be told guys I kind of thought as much but I wanted an excuse to go for the more expensive Italian tires.

19. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    definitely MPSS

20. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I happy with my Michelins but It comes down to.what you plan to do.with the car.

I havent had my car out in the rain with these to see how they are wet. Conditions temp weather all come into play.

21. angerosa

angerosa Karting

Oct 6, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Jason
    It's unlikely I'll drive my car in the rain. It's not as fun when the targa top is on. Just street and highway driving. Track unlikely as well.

22. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Good tires but like all things sticky, good for maybe 6 to 8 thousand miles. Others have got better mileage with other tires and said they are pretty close.

That being said I use MPSS

23. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    When I bought my Scud, it came with MPSS' and I was surprised at how good they are for a street tire. Highly recommended. However, I went with Advan AD08R (not an R compound), to match the "race look" of my BBS challenge wheels and I think they are a notch better, but not by a whole lot. It probably looks too track oriented for stock 355 wheels, so MPSS' are definitely the one to go with. If challenge wheels, I would get AD08R's no question.

24. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    I also forgot to mention AD08R's are symmetrical so you can switch left to right for increased use.

25. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    On my 500rwhp/rwtq BMW M4, I have MPSS2 tires. I can't imagine a better tire. I have 20" 305's and the do better than others but be careful with super high perf tires when they are cold and it's possibly wet. I have been on an onramp in 45 degree temp and wet and misty, and the car with all the god modes on, went sideways quick. I now use these for spring/summer only and have a 295 wide Conti all season for winter which do better in the cold.

So, as long as it's 60+ and the tires are 70+ degrees and it isn't wet or you aren't trying to do 1g turns where no tire would save you, you should be fine.

Note, I have taken an onramp that has a fairly steep bank for a US highway (and it's slightly up hill) at about 120% of the posted limit, on warmed up MPSS2 tires and they feel like race slicks, yeah the car was moving out a bit but in a controlled way.