End Link Dust Boot Question | FerrariChat

End Link Dust Boot Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by PhilB, Feb 4, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #1 PhilB, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What's the consensus on replacing the dust boots on the drop links/end links. The dust boot on one of my rear end links has a small tear. I bought a couple of dust covers of eBay (cheap, like $3/ea), they are sized correctly on both ends, but they are slightly too small in the middle. The next size up is too large.

Anyone have a part number for the dust covers? Or do you just replace the end link entirely?

I'm referring to the black dust covers in the attached photo.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I have never seen that sold in its individual pieces but they will sell you the whole part.

3. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I found what looks to be a suitable replacement (and for a joke of a price), will fit them and post photos in a few days.

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I have never found that the dirt etc will ruin that part. There is just too little movement and so few miles. My 10 yo racecar is just monoballs no covers and I have never needed to service those either.

5. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    #5 PhilB, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
    Agreed FBB. But my 355 is perfect except for 1 of these boots that has a slight rip. And finding suitable replacements soothes my condition - about 20 years ago I was clinically diagnosed with OFCD - Obsessive Ferrari Compulsive Disorder.

OFCD is an anxiety disorder in which people have repeated thoughts, feelings, ideas, sensations, obsessions, and behaviors that drive them to do something (compulsions) to make their Ferrari reach every increasing levels of perfection. Often the person carries out the behaviors to get rid of the obsessive thoughts that their Ferrari is sub standard in some way, but this only provides temporary relief. Not performing the obsessive "improvements" can cause a great deal of anxiety. A person's level of OFCD can be anywhere from mild to severe, but if severe and left untreated, it can destroy a person's capacity to function at work, at school or even to lead a comfortable existence in the home. I don't wish it on anyone.

From some of the posts I read here, I see there are a number of others who suffer from this condition, but refuse to admit to it. Recognizing it is the 1st step to treating it. Treatment ranges from building up a cash reserve for unexpected repairs or urges to dote over your Ferrari, to overly detailing your Ferrari even though it is already clean, to joining a local "Belt Therapy" group where the virtues of 3, 5 and 7 year belt changes can be debated in a comfortable and safe venue.

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Just buy original then or you may have nightmares!

7. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Assuming this is for a 355, you can buy a complete unit for £25 from superperformance

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LOL! The cure for acute OFCD is FEAR. The treatment is getting your ferrari "on track". Fear of immediate bodily damage will make you forget about OFCD.

9. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    A joke in the sense that they cost a few cents... or that they cost more than the whole arms?