Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 348/355 - Sponsored by Bradan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavareze View Post
Another option I'm considering is buying a NSX... any thoughts on that one? Can i get 90% of ferrari excitement with maybe 50% costs?
Try the Ferrari. I had a 92 NSX and would get bored with it in an hour today. Even after installing a supercharger it was sloooooow. I had an 88 911 Carrera coupe and would get bored with it in about 30 minutes today (used to have a picture of it sitting next to my Cessna 152 but it's in a box at home somewhere). Even my old 911 Turbo compared to the Ferrari was sterile. Fast but not that exciting. You won't look at a Porsche again after owning a Ferrari.

Why not spend a little more and buy a 355 though?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-16-2017, 11:13 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Full Name: Mitchell Le
NSX? Not even close.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:31 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavareze View Post

I'm looking to buy a 348 to drive and enjoy... do they break a lot when being used in daily routine? are they so impractical? is there a lot of stress for the owner to leave it parked at the supermarket?
I am actually a fairly new 348 owner (as of 10/2016) and so far my car has been very reliable. I try to drive it every week or every other week worst case scenario. I live in GA so the winters aren't too harsh. From everything I researched before buying the car, these cars break when you let them sit. Don't drive them and that's when things start going wrong and seals drying up. And honestly, whenever I drive the car, the longer I drive it the better it gets.

I'm still in that phase where I'm paranoid to park it anywhere. I have only driven it and parked it at a restaurant once. It was a little nerve racking to say the least. I'm sure I will get over this at some point. If you're past that stage, you would probably be fine driving it to the grocery store.

For me, I can't imagine getting in the car and driving the grocery store. It's not that kind of car for me. I'm sure there are people that do that. But it's a little overwhelming for me still to get in the car and drive it someplace so it's typically a special trip for me when I'm in the car. Which is usually just a fun type drive wherever I end up going. And if you like attention, this car gets attention. I would say most people couldn't care less, but a car enthusiast will know what it is...and it gets attention from 911 owners as well.

I personally don't drive my car in the rain and the previous owner didn't either. I also don't wash mine with water I use waterless wash and spray detailer. These cars have grounding issues, so I'm hoping not having to deal with moisture in the car will help with this. Who knows though.

As someone else mentioned above, if you can do some of the work yourself, it will save you a lot of money. I am a pretty big DIYer and have done the oil and gear oil myself. It's no different than any other car. I cannot do the major service myself so I will have to spend the money to have someone do that. The well respected guy in town charges around $5500 for this...but again, if you take into account that's every 5 years, it's not really that much money. Also, I am not rich. Far from it. I'm an enthusiast so I have to budget to be able to maintain the car properly.

Also keep in mind that you're buying an older car...mine is 21 years old...things will go wrong...weird little things. This is to be expected.

Just my .02....
Old 02-16-2017, 11:51 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedgery77 View Post
I'm still in that phase where I'm paranoid to park it anywhere. I have only driven it and parked it at a restaurant once. It was a little nerve racking to say the least. I'm sure I will get over this at some point. If you're past that stage, you would probably be fine driving it to the grocery store.

I've done things like drive my Lamborghini to Menards and it's not unusual to get a message from someone saying that pictures of the car in the parking lot ended up on facebook.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-16-2017, 11:52 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobble View Post
I've done things like drive my Lamborghini to Menards and it's not unusual to get a message from someone saying that pictures of the car in the parking lot ended up on facebook.
Ok...that would be pretty cool!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:35 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Your enthusiasm is encouraging!

Once upon a time I was young boy in eastern Europe and the exotic car for our budget was Alfa Romeo 33. I can still remember every other day I had to fix something odd on those Alfas. The crowd with the Golf GTi were less cool but also had less car troubles. I am sure most vendors that sold parts to Alfa Romeo sold to Ferrari as well (Veglia, Magneti Marelli etc) and I expect that my Ferrari will need more than it's fair share of attention. Probably the most important thing is how the car was treated before me purchasing it.

Probably it would be overwhelming to DIY on 2 exotic/semi-exotic cars so I'm thinking to pick a 348 when I find a good deal and then decide if I should sell the 911. Maybe it would feel boring, just like some people said. Who knows...

Thanks for the time to share your thoughts! Much appreciated!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Buddy
My Garage
You only live once buy the Ferrari. I had an NSX brand new and while it was a cool car it was too slow. Sold that for a 993 turbo, then a 996 turbo, then a Superformance Cobra and finally the F355 spider.

I realized a lifelong dream to own a Ferrari this past October and it's incredible! The pinnacle of car ownership for me.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:30 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brian White
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedgery77 View Post

Also keep in mind that you're buying an older car...mine is 21 years old...things will go wrong...weird little things. This is to be expected.

Just my .02....

Only 21 years old? Wow, what's your production date? 21 years old is getting into the early 355s...
Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

1995 348 Spider. So maybe 22! Oops! Not sure of the exact build date.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:33 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Michael Wolfe
I have a 1995 348 spider also, my V.I.N. = 0099624. My build date shows July 1994, but because it was sold in 1995, it is a 1995 vehicle. I think there weren't very many 348's made after mine, not sure how many & what the final VIN production number was. I love my 348, it has a very visceral feel when driving.

Last edited by surfwolf; 02-16-2017 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Accuracy
Old 02-16-2017, 08:35 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Owning a 355 is a bit like owning a small airplane (cost wise).

Annual = yearly maintenance
Surprise repairs = happens all the time on the plane
Engine out = Engine overhaul. Just budget for it.

For every 100 hours you drive, you get 10 hours of maintenance.

Want to make a Ferrari 355 ownership experience look cheap? Buy a Navajo
Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 PM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

Full Name: Dave Lelonek
My Garage
In 4 years of 355 ownership, I think (IIRC) I've invested $5k and the vast majority of that was cosmetic.

I bought a pristine car, just serviced with new tires. Couldn't be happier.

No Stick-On Decals - All Graphics Laser Etched

Durable, Mar - Resistant Coatings

www.stickyrxrs.com dave.lelonek@stickyrxrs.com
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave rocks View Post
In 4 years of 355 ownership, I think (IIRC) I've invested $5k and the vast majority of that was cosmetic.

I bought a pristine car, just serviced with new tires. Couldn't be happier.
That's like buying a plane with 1200 hour engines and flying it for 300 hours and saying it was cheap.

The TBO is 1600 hours and in 100 hrs you will be in for $100k+

Need the full life cycle to really appreciate the cost requirements. It's all part of the game in planes...rarely seen in cars except the Ferrari's and some other exotics. Just know it going in. It is like owning an airplane for beginners.

Hey, the 355 aint for pansies and I for one like it that way.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwolf View Post
I have a 1995 348 spider also, my V.I.N. = 0099624. My build date shows July 1994, but because it was sold in 1995, it is a 1995 vehicle. I think there weren't very many 348's made after mine, not sure how many & what the final VIN production number was. I love my 348, it has a very visceral feel when driving.
The last SN I have in my personal database is 99648, built in May of '94 (oddly, before your lower SN car (assuming your memory of the build date is accurate)). FChatter Scaledetails posted a Spider SN list that goes all the way to 99935 though. I have no idea how high the numbers actually went but I'm collecting SNs, along with color combo, body type, and mileage in case anyone is willing to share.

Agree 100% with your driving impression. To me, the 348 is the perfect combination of the feel of a true sports car with reasonably modern amenities/ergonomics.

Finally, with regard to the OP's question, they are not cheap cars to own by any means. It requires a real commitment to take care of one but it delivers smiles that few other cars can.

Last edited by ///Mike; 02-16-2017 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:37 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATSON View Post
Owning a 355 is a bit like owning a small airplane (cost wise).

Annual = yearly maintenance
Surprise repairs = happens all the time on the plane
Engine out = Engine overhaul. Just budget for it.

For every 100 hours you drive, you get 10 hours of maintenance.

Want to make a Ferrari 355 ownership experience look cheap? Buy a Navajo
I can imagine what a navajo means... I knew a guy who kept telling us stories about his twin Cessna but anywhere we flew he came by car :-)

I am sure Ferrari brings a lot of attention (that comes in a package with lots envy and possibly some extra *****) but this is not at all why I became interested. I just like to drive and get to feel machinery. Flying a DC-3 or a firing up a vintage steam locomotive would bring me similar excitement. But hey! Those Pratt&Whitney star engines are pretty expensive to run and the locos are hard to park, so I have to settle for the F car in the end :-)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 PM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
I bought a fairly decent 355 with minimal service records and spent $24k in 2 years. I gave up, sold it and bought a pristine 355. I've had that 7 months and haven't spent anything other than an annual service and a little on sticky items. So far the pristine one with extensive service records that was maintained by Rifledriver has been as reliable as a Toyota.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 PM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriff View Post
I bought a fairly decent 355 with minimal service records and spent $24k in 2 years. I gave up, sold it and bought a pristine 355. I've had that 7 months and haven't spent anything other than an annual service and a little on sticky items. So far the pristine one with extensive service records that was maintained by Rifledriver has been as reliable as a Toyota.
that 24k unexpected expense is one of the things I was trying to avoid. what was it?
Old 02-17-2017, 12:08 AM
F1 Veteran
Consultant

Full Name: Mitchell Le
$24K? let me make a guess:

Headers: $5K
Cat converters: $3K
Engine out service:$10K with clutch repack
TCU: $1K
Sticky: $2K
Seat pots: $1K
Leather dashboard: $2K
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

If I lived in L.A., you and I, OP, would be friends. I have an '87 Carrera, and a '91 348, and I have an interest in flying. I don't think I'd ever get a PPL, but I'm intrigued.

I've had my Carrera for almost 17 years, and it's cost me almost nothing. Maybe a couple hundred here and there in that time. Small enough that I forget.

I've had my 348 for 4 months, and I'm looking at a belt service. If I do it myself, it may cost less than a thousand. If I have an independent do it, I'm thinking $5k and up. I've already done most of the sticky refurb myself, a few electrical glitches corrected myself, and rear brake service including parking brake replacement and adjustment, myself. Also just bought wheels and new tires. I plan to repack the clutch myself as well.

The Porsche is solid as you'd expect. I don't think twice about driving it or running errands in it. I paid about $22K for it back in '00. I still think of it as a $20K car, though it would be really hard to replace it if it were lost. Hard to find my car with its options.

The Ferrari cost me about twice as much to buy, but feels much more expensive to me. Driving it feels like a special event. I fret over it more than I should. Owning it feels like an achievement in my little world, and in my little mind, I feel like I can now rest on my laurels. I shouldn't assign this much value to a thing, but I can't help it. I came of automotive age in the '80's, and cars of the '80's and '90's are what I know and value.

Hope this helps. And good luck in your search.

P.S. I like the NSX, too. A lot. But given the choice, I'd rather dedicate my limited garage space to a Ferrari, that looks and feels like a Ferrari inside and out. The NSX looks great, performs great, but the drawback to me is that it feels like an Accord on the inside.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:28 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mike View Post
The last SN I have in my personal database is 99648, built in May of '94 (oddly, before your lower SN car (assuming your memory of the build date is accurate)). FChatter Scaledetails posted a Spider SN list that goes all the way to 99935 though. I have no idea how high the numbers actually went but I'm collecting SNs, along with color combo, body type, and mileage in case anyone is willing to share.

Agree 100% with your driving impression. To me, the 348 is the perfect combination of the feel of a true sports car with reasonably modern amenities/ergonomics.

Finally, with regard to the OP's question, they are not cheap cars to own by any means. It requires a real commitment to take care of one but it delivers smiles that few other cars can.
Yep, I think you added me...I found my VIN...99647...
Non-Sponsor Ads