New 1995 F355 Berlinetta 6speed owner | FerrariChat

New 1995 F355 Berlinetta 6speed owner

Discussion in '348/355' started by schnazzy, Feb 17, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    #1 schnazzy, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Wanting an F355 since they first came out I found myself a bit envious of more senior colleagues who bought them new back then. The 1995 for many is considered a great year with the detraction of the valve guide issue that lingered into 1997. There are quite a few "enthusiasts" that say the manual is the way to go, and since my other car already has flappy paddles and would spank an F355 back to the 90's the decision was to go the way of the 6 speed. That glistening ball atop the long neck down to the shift gate has always been a dream.

Lurking on the site for the last 9 years gleaned a wealth of knowledge. This isn't the first attempt for an F-car but this time was success with no others around to swoop in and snipe it.

The market is all over the place with some cars that maybe should be parted out, oh the blasphemy, and others with owners that are very proud. This particular example came with the clean carfax and PPI among other things but none of the add-ons like the books and covers.

Maintenance records going back about 10 years were procured as well as some other data including mention of steel valve guides and at least 2 other major belt services.

There are also a few modifications of which most will be reversed over time with the goal of bringing the car up a level. It will take some doing to get this to some very high standards and that in itself will be entertainment, a hobby.

Notable previous cars include a highly modified E36 M3 BMW, a Porsche 996, and the current (and modified) BMW M4. The F355 is for the fun, the sound, the history, and the legacy. It will never keep up with the daily driver and that is why the 6 speed was chosen, it is to be an enthusiasts car.

Having never driven a 355 was a bit nerve racking. Lambo, 458, Mclaren sure, but I had only sat in a 355 once before for maybe 3 minutes and it was a GTS. Reading about the off center set of 3 pedals and even sitting in an F1 does not necessarily prepare one for the driving experience. The first drive from the transport truck was a bit goofy but adjusting the seat and steering later, helped make the experience more natural.

Got the car yesterday.

I'd like to thank many people on this forum and most notably:
    Sherpa23
    Dave Rocks
    yelcab

Here is a picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    #2 schnazzy, Feb 17, 2017
  3. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Very nice.:)

4. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Congrats!

5. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Huge Congrats, Alex :)

Nothing beats a Black / Beige coupe ;)

6. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Congrats. Take good care of her and enjoy :).

Ken

7. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Nice. Great looking car. Enjoy it.

8. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    very nice. black/tan is one of my favorite!

what are the mods you want to reverse?

9. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Very Nice! Can feel the excitement through the photo of it coming off the car hauler!!

10. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats and welcome to the brotherhood! Definitely need some more pics and driving impressions. What are the things you want to change?

11. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Very nice! Congratulations 🎊

12. MrRdStr

MrRdStr Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2008
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    AJ.
  13. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Beautiful car (black and tan is just stunning) and great year (I am biased). Congratulations and welcome to the addiction, Forza F355!

14. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Stunning - welcome to the fun! Save the manuals!

15. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Congratulations, Alex. Enjoy it in good health. You will love it.

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    I love birth pictures!

That's a beautiful F355 Berlinetta. Congratulations, Alex! Drive it in good health.

Barry

17. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    #17 schnazzy, Feb 17, 2017
    TODAY
    Hood and Bonnet Shocks - Put $14 a pair equivelent (thanks to research on fcaht) on the bonnet but they have crazy large white logos and so I bought OEM for the engine hood. The bonnet ones were a pain to replace due to the angle and clearance. Note I type for a living so changing the oil is probably a challenge for me so take that with a grain of salt.

Shift ball and center console - Replaced the aftermarket shift ball with a factory ball that had been polished as well as a brand new ashtray to replace the carbon fiber one that came with the car. The cigarette lighter R&R was a challenge but a google search set me straight.

Floor mats - I ordered an original generation used (9/10 quality) set as I knew the car was coming with aftermaret ones that where just a bit much for me. When I got the car and took the aftermarket ones out, I found that the originals were still in the car and were 8.5/10 condition so I left those and will store the extra sets.

WEEKEND
    Exhaust Valve - may be bad or I just don't understand how the car should sound with it open. I'll test it tomorrow thanks to the help from Dave Rocks and his youtube video and other communication.

Pedals/foot rest - Bought the dead pedal and passenger (355 in black, script) foot rest and probably will put those on.

Battery charger - Bought a CTEK 7002 and will wire that up.

FUTURE
    Pedals - probaby get the HE pedal set to match the dead pedal

Exhaust - Have Tubi (which is great) but want Capristo.

Rims - Probably will get Champion RG5 or similar mesh rims in 19"

Stereo - Might get a new deck that does MP3s, has a bit more power and MAYBE bluetooth. I will replace the speakers and put a bit (5lb) of dynamat behind them.

Carbon Fiber - I may remove the door sills that are CF now and get factory pieces. Also I need to find a factory ebrake handle grip as this car has a CF one.

Shields - Gothspeed CV boot shields and custom engine mount shields

CLEANING
    If you know me, you know I can be nuts. I use air to dry the car and only use special microfiber waffle towels to "dab" any residual water. Towels rarely ever are moved accross paint. I have some super high quaily MF (fluffy ones from S. Korea) that I will sometimes use but that is rare. I plan to do the interior first by taking out the seats, full carpet clearn, steam and clean the seats, leatherique the seats and all the leather, etc.

GOALS
    Resale - I want this to be at the level of say, a "Dave Rocks" car or similar where if I ever needed to, I'd have "the car to buy". Books, covers, tools, and factory pieces will round out the car.

Look - Sure, mesh wheels and some hill engineering and a capristo but the goal is for the car to seem fully factory to a laymen.

Here is a picture of the new ashtray, shift ball and original floor mats.

18. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Alex, the ashtray is still available and the lighter (old design) is easy to remove. The newer design is a PITA :)

19. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    #19 schnazzy, Feb 17, 2017
    Ok funny story. So I drive to the license and tabs place to title the car for my state and register it. I parked 10 spots from the first spots closest to the strip mall. I come out 10 minutes later and less a bag full of cash and these yahoo's park right next to me. Note, all the rest of the much closer spots were still open. Seriously? lolz fun stuff.

Oh an for all you lucky folks, in some areas of my state the Sales tax on a car is 10.4% and that is plus about $280-350 in registration fees and public transport taxes ... oops I mean fees. Luckily mine is more like 8.5% and 1/3rd the registration. Yeah, in any event that was a fun check to write. :)

20. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #20 308 GTB, Feb 17, 2017
    Aww, that's not so bad.

Here in New Jersey, they do things like this...

21. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Yes but neither of those are my cars. I don't park my car like that corvette. There are too many people with gunracks here ;) But then, I'd park farther out and not in the spots up front. Then again, people will then park out farther with me I guess. While the jeep is an ****** the corvette is the bigger ******.

In my area some places have super small spots and other have double painted lines for the parking to give people enough room to fully open their doors. I only go/shop at the later and I tell the proprietors that I like their parking just so they know there is value.

22. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    #22 schnazzy, Feb 17, 2017
  23. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    Congrats on the car. I knew that once the seller fixed the wheel color, she would sell.

24. BrianNYC14

BrianNYC14 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Brian E
    #24 BrianNYC14, Feb 18, 2017
    Beautiful looking car, congratulations. Wishing you many great drives!

While on the topic of folks parking too close for comfort...

(also in NJ)

25. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I wouldn't say the wheel color is fixed, it just looks good on film. They are a silver in person but will need to be refinished to be correct. I assumed there would be a few things to fix including this.

Already took out the aftermarket floor mats, shift ball and carbon (and sticky) ashtray. Fixed the gas struts for the bonnet and hood, and have a shelf of other parts with a list of other items to order soon. Nothing major though.