dont do this at home | FerrariChat

dont do this at home

Discussion in '348/355' started by ClydeM, Feb 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    It was 60+ in NNJ, time to take the car for a quick spin.

But it seems you need to disconnect the battery tender first before backing it out of the garage :(

thankfully, it ripped from the wall & no significant damage done. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

On the bright side, it was a wonderful day for a ride.

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I've been dreading this day myself - I keep meaning to make a note that I can hang on the steering wheel and I keep forgetting - perhaps you post will push that thru...

3. ducrob

ducrob Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2011
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Rob
    If it makes you guys feel better, I backed my gf's car up when it was one day off the lot...she hadn't quite closed her door and I ripped the door skin of off on a concrete pillar. She punched me on my right temple...really hurt. Friend let me try his Ford GT, I nearly scalped myself with the door....blood. He laughed, he had actually been hospitalized from the same mistake.

4. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    I leave the trunk cracked open as my reminder that the tender is plugged in.

5. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    I started to drive away from the gas station with the nozzle still in once. Thankfullly I realized it before I really went anywhere.

6. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    Clyde- nice to hear you got her out!! I didn't back out with mine, but walked past the chord and the thing fell off the shelf (it was actually connected to a different car). I have the battery tender plus- the thing looks like it was built and designed in the 1970's :) Took the fall with no issues.

We still have some slight salt dust on the roads and I couldn't bring myself to get the f-car out, but took out my wife's drop top for a spin- nice to be able to drive top down in mid-Feb!!

7. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This works for ou r F1s Dave!!

8. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I had the hood popped loose, And dutifully pressed it closed - never glancing down at the tender. Dang.

Weren't in a red car on Rt 23 were you? I saw that car & was thinking maybe I should put the top down.

9. andrew911

andrew911 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2003
    Northern NJ
    No- white BMW 330 (2006 model)- we'll be driving with the top down today too! As long as it's above 45 I'll drive with the top down :) (but I only operate the top if it's warmer- if towards the end of the driving season I put the top up after the car is in the garage overnight since the garage warms up to about 55 when the garage door is closed for a few hours/overnight just from the surrounding interior walls). My wife won't drive the car too down unless it's low mid 60's- I'm the only nut :)

10. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    #10 4rePhill, Feb 19, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Felipe Massa: "Hey!.....These things can happen you know!":
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Battery Tender brand tenders have quick disconnects. It happens, and doesn't drag the tender. Worse case, it breaks the line itself which is replaceable / repairable.

12. piar-fotografie

Oct 20, 2014
    that's why I Always leave the engine hood open when something is done on the engine. But backing out my car from the garage in the dark while my black bmw was outside the garagedoor was pretty stupid as well. Luckily I Always back out with 1 mile per hour so no significant damage on both. :-(

13. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I put a notepad on the front seat of any car I am working on. On it I write down all the stuff that is IN OP. That way I can double check everything before I fire it up after some work.

Having said that I have forgotten to write down "battery Tender" twice. gah.

14. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    not a bad idea

15. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Those 5 mile extension cables are very good

16. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    "There are those that have, and those that will..."

Don't worry too much. I took off with the nose pin still installed on a C-130 once... Ooopsy

17. Priley

Priley Rookie

Jun 15, 2015
    Essex, UK
    Full Name:
    Pete Riley
    Steering wheel cover is my reminder. Good job the OP's didn't catapult off the wall into the car!

18. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I ran an extension cable from the connection at the battery out to the front grill of my 550. If I forget when I back out of the garage, the cable just unplugs. The extension also means that I don't need to open the hood to connect the tender.

19. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Thanks for posting a goof up, embarrassing when it happens but helps fellow Fchatters.

Mine was leaving the rain drip guard from the engine bay on the ground...pushed the car out, flattened that thing. Daniel at Ricambi to the rescue!

20. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I did it once and it just disconnected from the plug inside the trunk (trunk was left ajar). After that I just toss a yellow sticky note on the drivers seat and it reminds me when I see it. Hasn't happened since.

21. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    The note should read "Remove before flight"

22. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    #22 c7matt, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I LIKE THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! On the steering wheel!

Today, the weathermen predicted upper 60's, so it hit 80. (I really want a job where I can be as wrong as they are & still get paid silly money)

but this time I did remember to disconnect :)