New 348 Owner | FerrariChat

New 348 Owner

Discussion in '348/355' started by FSM348, Feb 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Hello all, I've been lurking for a little bit as I've been in discussions with the seller of the '91 348ts. This will be my first Ferrari and is a particular model I've always been fond of and thanks to this forum and the unbelievable wealth of info and helpful community I've made the decision to take the plunge.

The car will need a few things taken care of but I am looking forward to getting my hands dirty. I currently race in a formula open wheel class with SCCA and do all my own setup and maintenance and so I don't anticipate the 348 to be something I will have too much trouble with. Just in case, I'm prepared to eat my own words! Looking forward to experiencing Ferrari ownership and I'm sure you will be hearing plenty from me.

2. Triple Black

Triple Black Karting

Feb 8, 2014
    Millington TN
    Full Name:
    David S
    Do your homework. Hope you get a good one.
    How about details?

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Good luck in your quest. They're fun cars, especially for someone who enjoys race cars.

4. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Congratulations. The 348 is very easy to work on, you will have no trouble at all. You also have the support of very knowledgeable members here who know the 348 inside out. There are several excellent DIY threads for various repairs.

5. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    348s are great! good luck. Maintenance on a 348 (mechanical knowhow) isn't any different than an e36 BMW or other similar era luxury or exotics. Pretty simple cars as compared to today's cars.

6. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Pics! Which one did you get?

7. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Congrats! Great car!

8. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Thanks all. It should be getting picked up today on the west coast then be on it's way here. Very excited. I saw some of the excellent DIY threads as well as the my348 website so I should be set on some of the first things I want to take care of. 25mm Hill spacers in the rear, interior will need some TLC, clutch is slipping slightly and I believe it is the flywheel getting grease on the clutch so once I get them out of the car and inspect them I should know more about the actual issue. I've been trying to get ahold of gothspeed regarding their exhaust but both emails and PMs have so far not been replied to? I saw a video on youtube with the rarefab F1 style exhaust and my god does that sound good.

9. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    Your not the only one trying to reach Gothspeed.

Do you know how much the Rarefab is?

10. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Congrats, and good luck. Hopefully you went with a PPI as a part of the purchasing process to help avoid/identify any questionable areas with the car. The 348 is an awesome model if you like a raw, unaided driving experience that gets the adrenaline pumping. Very easy to work on, and relatively robust at this point with attentive care.

I'm sure Goth will get back to you. I've seen the Rarefab in person, and one thing that I came away with was being far from impressed with the quality of fitment. If the former doesn't work out, X-ost makes a great sounding quality option to the Tubi, Capristo pieces that get a lot of press.

More than it should be for a basically bent set of open pipes welded together without much apparent attention to quality of assembly re: maintaining symmetry, alignment through the fabrication process. Last I recall, it was something around $2-3k... I would be pissed if I spent that and the one that I saw showed up.

11. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
  12. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith

Its $3500+$500 for test pipes! Thats much more than I was looking to spend.

I will look into the DIY exhaust for gitz and shiggles. Might be a fun project until I decide what system I will go with and Gothspeed eventually gets back to me.

The car had a recent PPI and I spoke with the gentleman who performed it otherwise I would have had one done. I traded my 1997 Viper GTS for the 348 and the deal worked out rather well in my opinion but lets hope I feel that way once I see the car in person. It has had a major in the last 19 months which is positive but has quite a bit of little items I need to tend to. Looking forward to it.

13. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Where's "here" ?

14. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    Goth will get back to you even though it may take some time. And the wait is worth it.

15. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Thanks, I hope your right!

16. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I think I have the latest 348 exhaust he built. I speak from experience. :)

17. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Definitely want to see/hear some vids ripping it up through the revs. Love the twin wall tips. :)

18. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I had some sort GoPro vids, but then the GoPro shutdown due to heat. I'll get some this Spring once I have it back on the road. :)

19. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Can I ask what the systems cost from Goth? Ive found no price info .

20. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm not sure if Goth has the prices public. I will say that for high flow cats and the muffler from Goth, I paid half of what I would have for the same thing from other vendors.

21. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Any videos of the exhaust in action?

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Where. Are. The. Pictures?

23. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    #23 FSM348, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  24. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
  25. carguy007

carguy007 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2013
    Did you get the Kermit the frog green 348 with the odometer rollback?

I spoke with the seller a couple times and caught him in lies which made me a little weary of the car and spoke to the guy he bough it from. He told me he sold the car for just under 25k. It was originally red which is why I considered it and was going to repaint it back to original. Needs some little things addressed but should not be too hard to sort.

Welcome to the brotherhood.