Improvement of aerodynamics | FerrariChat

Improvement of aerodynamics

Discussion in '348/355' started by timeckart, Feb 21, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    #1 timeckart, Feb 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I want to improve the aerodynamics of my F512GTB (F355 with 512 tr engine / transmission).

First I bought a Imola Spoiler after a long search.

Underneath I build Universal Flaps.

At the side I build flaps of MB, which are modified.

At the rear, the rear grill is sawn and a grid is inserted. Everything then painted in black.

At the back we built a universal diffuser. With my F512GTB is space for, because at the 512 tr the transmission is under the engine and is not behind the engine, as with the F355.

Now I'm looking for a Tubi Style rear wing, only I have not found a picture as the Tubi Style rear wing attached to the F355 looks.
    Does anyone have a picture?
    Does anyone sell a Tubi Style rear wing?

Other rear wing ideas that are affordable and look good?

A universal rear spoiler lip is also glued on.

The last problem is the front grille. He does not have a real radiator front, but only left and right cool air for the brakes. The air can not flow optimally through the grille. Either I put a Plexiglas disk in front of it and leave only holes for the cooling air of the brakes open, or I build a large wide hole to guide the air up through a hole through the hood. Is this only more pressure or is it only useful if you install an additional radiator in the front?

Your ideas?

Thanks Tim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. ShineKen

ShineKen F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 3, 2007
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Nostradamus
    Which one is the Tubi rear wing?

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Love your car pretty wicked transplant!!

5. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    very pool project

6. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    #6 Yassa, Feb 21, 2017
  7. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
  8. wiley355

wiley355 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 10, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Full Name:
    Wiley
    Oh My!!! :-O

I always wanted a 12 cylinder Ferrari, but I thought I'd have to get another car.

9. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
  10. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Tim, really impressed with your car and your project. Looks absolutely fantastic. You've probably covered this elsewhere, so sorry, but what are the aero improvements (outcomes) you plan to achieve? I ask because I am slowly approaching something similar, and am looking at pay off between aero aids in terms of weight (even CF), drag and benefits only available at certain speeds. At the moment chatting to a couple of colleges to see if they have any students interested in a project!

In terms of the A/Con, how hot and under what circumstances is it not performing (over heating?). I'd have thought an exit point for hot air would not need to be too large and could create a 'draw' effect? Your plexiglass protector would be 'inline' I assume of a dedicated channel?

If only you had a big fan and some smoke bombs!! (Or a bunch of college kids). Feel free to PM. Stu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    #11 timeckart, Feb 22, 2017
    StuR ?????
    I have seen at my Maranello the aerodynamik problems when the number plate is not high enough assemled. You cannot drive more then 230km/h.

12. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I think I used to dream of driving my mondial when first bought for 230km in terms of distance, let alone speed!!!!

Aside from speed humps I imagine the front engine cooling and disruption to undercar airflow at that speed could be quite affected.

13. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    I drive with both Ferraris till 315km/h....I know that many F355GTS crashed when they drive fast without the Targa Roof, because of aerodynamic problems at high speed.
    My F355 has 80kg more weight at he back but the transmission under the motor and not after the motor like the F355 and about 470PS.
    So I drive here in Germany very fast, not only on highway....normal Streets till 250km/h

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I thought you mentioned in the past this was a stock spec 512tr engine. How did you get another 50hp out of it since?

15. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    Polished intake valves and intake ducts, optimized timing, increased compression and improved engine software direct from Ferrari, BMC air filter, tubi style exhaust without cat...

16. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    What did it make on the dyno?

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    More compression~

Any running hot issues? With all that stuff shoe horned in the back you get enough air flow?

18. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    #18 timeckart, Feb 22, 2017
  19. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    So given the rear window buttress, the extra rear weight and the mods done to the racing 355s, is it largely about front splitters, possible winglets and a smoothing of the rear airflow? The advancement over 348 underflow might be moved on with a diffuser, but I assume the road use rules out any real side skirt issues/benefits.

20. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    The big problem is to get more downforce at the front. The Imola spoiler and the flaps are a beginning. Ferraris are unfortunately developed without front number plate in the wind tunnel.

21. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Come again? What kind of streets are those where you go 150 miles an hour?

22. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    So, On the 355 I assume you've logged the incremental effects of the 'aids' you've incorporated so far, and front end stability remains an area for improvement. I don't know the EU/German limits for front splitters, but I imagine you could go some way further (don't want to mention the 'P' word, but their pretty good at dealing with rear heavy cars that can be twitchy!

You have the challenge ducts fitted(?), so front brake cooling is directed. So you could remodel a lightweight front for better flow.

I'd simply remove the A/C and solve the cooling/air flow issue (free up a bit of the power - you could even add front weight that's more balanced than the RAS and still have more bhp/T !). I think for what you're proposing you might as well look at repositioning the A/C rad to make it more balanced (sorry, am assuming it's offset like the Mondi) and able to be in an airflow that doses the risk destabilising the centreline by having a different pressure over/ one side.

Wing mirror changes and smoothing frontal bonnet/light pod gaps will also help with improving the aero, but the aesthetics might not be great?

I would smooth the rear flow over the engine bay as that'll improve the diffusers ability to create downforce (plus a lexi 360/F40 lid will show off the redheads a treat!)

23. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    #23 timeckart, Feb 22, 2017
  24. timeckart

timeckart Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2015
    Wildeck in Germany
    Full Name:
    Tim Eckart
    #24 timeckart, Feb 22, 2017
  25. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Sorry Tim mines a long post. Is the modded GT in the pics yours? Or are you looking to replicate?

I don't understand why you need to improve stock air con cooling, unless you are saying the speeds you drive at causes air to build up due to restrictions?

You can make a vent in the bonnet to release air to aid cooling. But you'd be as well blocking the front for aerodynamic benefits and removing the aircon.

In terms of improving aero: bigger splitter than shown; smoothed bonnet shut lines/gaps; thinner/smaller wing mirrors; 360 style rear hatchback.

Hope this is clearer.... good luck with the car.