New stablemate for the 348 | FerrariChat

New stablemate for the 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by hercfe, Feb 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    #1 hercfe, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Nader

Nader Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2011
    East of Seattle
    I love it! Was my first favorite car when I became a car guy as a pre-adolescent in the mid-Seventies.

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Great cruiser. Difficult to find something that goes down the road with as much grace, even today.

4. Mmckee

Mmckee Formula 3
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2016
    Alta Loma, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mike
  5. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Very nice

6. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  7. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #7 Hubs348, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I agree! It's so smooth on the highway. I have an 1987 XJS v-12 (in addition to a 348 spider and Testarossa, others). Had this car 20 years, my dad got it in 89. It's been great except for the Lucas gremlins!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    I always wanted a 6 cyl manual transmission coupe. In the pre-91ish guise.

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The XJS is a handsome car.

Congrats.

Now where's the side by side pic?

10. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
  11. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Great looking car. I prefer the pre-facelift cars. Always wanted a black/tan '90 or '91 (no mouse belts) with three piece BBS RS wheels.

I think they're an outstanding value right now. They have that old world British charm and they're awesome drivers, yet even a nice one can be had for the price of a used Camry. I figure sooner or later people will begin to realize that they're underpriced though-- they're too nice to stay under the radar forever. Gotta love that GM A/C-- nice to find an import from that era that'll actually keep its occupants cool in the summer.

12. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Thanks guys! I am actually looking at an XJS ragtop also. I'm a glutton for punishment... I'm planning a fleet picture soon. No problems so far, the usual issues were handled by the previous owner, thank God! It's weird, even though it's a V12 and has a ton of power, I have no desire to go fast anywhere in it. It is just a great, solid cruiser. Shocking how many compliments I have gotten. I had a WRX being driven by two early 20's kids, stop and tell me how much they liked it. They asked what size engine it had, and when I told them a V12 it was as if they had seen a ghost, lol! One kid said he's never even heard of a car with a V12. Guess I'm officially getting old now... lol!

13. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Gorgeous color...is that claret? Love the wheels too.
    The buttresses almost remind me of a Citron SM.
    Enjoy...

14. alberto:t:frog

Oct 21, 2010
    Berkshire UK
    Jaguar – the car for men who want handjobs from beautiful women.

15. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Hercfe- one big improvement I did in the ride was to stiffen the suspension (springs/shocks/ torsion bars) as it's a heavy car and these tend to soften if aged. Gives it a much improved sports car feel.

Also, a must have is the Kirby "experience in a book" for the jag XJS. It has been compiled by lots of users over many years and can help you with any issue. Wish we had this for the 348 or Testarossa!

Kirby Palm's Jaguar XJ-S Help Book

16. hercfe

hercfe Karting

Apr 21, 2015
    Northeast US
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Ferrarimondial348, the color is regency red with pearl metallic and it has the barley (AFW) interior. It just had a fresh respray and the paint is pristine. Interior is good, but I just had the headliner replaced, and am waiting for new seat covers to come in. The wood is decent, but I found a guy in Florida who does a complete new trim kit for $400.00, not bad.
    Hubs348, Kirby's book was the first thing I got, actually before I bought the car. It is a great resource! The suspension is still pretty tight, although it feels like the steering rack is a little sloppy, a common problem in these, and seemingly easy and inexpensive fix. What set up did you go with on the suspension?

17. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    The rubber used in the OE bushes is quite prone to "perishing" prematurely so do yourself a favor and only use urethane replacements in all locations. Urethane rack bushes provide a huge improvement in steering precision as well. You might have to remove the rack (or at least hang it from tie rods) in order to replaces the bushes. That's enough of a PITA that I'd suggest exchanging the rack for one with fresh seals if it is leaking any at all or if it has not been changed in a while. Get the hoses rebuilt while you're at it-- the cars are rather prone to PS leaks so it's best to address potential issues whenever you have it apart for any reason.