348 temperature gauge reading low/ under reading SOLVED! | FerrariChat

348 temperature gauge reading low/ under reading SOLVED!

Discussion in '348/355' started by Davsk1, Feb 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 Davsk1, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,

This has been puzzling me for some time finally found the problem and it was so stupidly simple and more importantly, absolutely zero cost to fix!

Being electrical engineer by trade I'd been around everything electrically checking for bad earths, bad sensor, bad connections, bad cabling and could not find anything wrong. Impedance measurements on the instrument all appeared normal. Thermostat checked all perfect.

Yet it would only register around 65degrees C when fully warm.

I figured the only thing I could do was gently prise the needle off and replace it in the right place at a known temperature.

Did this and it has solved the problem. Still puzzled as to how it got like that as I can't believe it left the factory like that. The only thing I can think is that it has slowly slid round the pin under the spring tension against the end stop of the gauge over time (27 years) maybe when exposed to high cabin temperatures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. c7matt

c7matt Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2016
    Greater Detroit, MI
    wow, brilliant! Great find.

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    +1

Did you do anything to try to stop it happening again? A dab of Loctite or something?

4. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    No, I thought about it but then its not a big job if it drifts again, then will consider some bonding :)

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Wow great. You may be right about cabin temps.

6. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I believe the car spent some time in the middle east so this may be where the problem occurred.

Not convinced the oil gauge is reading correctly either, I improved the earth to the oil tank which improved the situation but still think it needs the needle treatment!

7. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    This heat/sun also cause fading of the orange gauges to yellow?

8. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    I think my oil pressure gauge has this issue. I have replaced the sender without any improvement and then used a mechanical gauge to validate correct pressures. Thanks for the idea to rectify the problem.

Im guessing removal of the needle is a delicate process? Would love some more info on how to disassemble and do this if possible.

9. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not sure about the oil gauge yet but the main instrument panel is fairly straightforward to disassemble, just some small screws holding the binnacle together at the back. The needle itself i just carefully removed by hand

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Sun. It's petty common.

11. Davsk1

Davsk1 Karting

May 10, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Full Name:
    Dave
    But only if the car actually sees any daylight ;)