Rear window trim | FerrariChat

Rear window trim

Discussion in '348/355' started by bayferrari, Feb 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bayferrari

bayferrari Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Bay Area
    Full Name:
    William
    I have a 1991 348 TS and the 3 lower trim pieces that surround the back window the paint is cracking, peeling. Had the pieces repainted by the body shop a year or so ago but now the paint isn't sticking. Have taken them back and the body shop and they say they should not be painted. They are looking for a solution. I was wondering if these have the dreaded sticky coating on them. Underneath the paint it looks almost like a gooey plastic. Anyone have problems with this? No replacements available that I have found. Any input is welcome.

2. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Yes they get sticky and gooey, If they got all the old coating off and cleaned it then preped it corectly their paint shouldnt be falling off.

Sounds like they didnt even bother to do the first part.

Id get my money back and my parts back and send them to one of the known places for sticky repair.

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi William,

We can properly refinish those - shoot me an email if you like :)

4. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    As others have noted it appears your paint shop painted over the soft coating.....easy fix....just strip the paint and coating and repaint with a suitable primer and semi gloss black paint.
    When I did mine I got the paint and primer from an automotive paint supplier.
    Years later still looks as new.