LHS radiator fan issues | FerrariChat

LHS radiator fan issues

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robbe, Mar 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Hi All,
    in another thread I already posted that I have an issue with my lhs fan.
    But to not to pollute that thread any further, and because I might have a different problem, now in a new thread.
    The symptoms and conclusions:
    - LHS fan does not start up, the RHS fan starts at around 13 hours on the temp gauge.
    - when (before that) after starting, the temp rises to 12 (90 degrees celcius), I can notice the thermostat open, because the pipe to the left radiator suddenly rises in temperature from ambient to 70-80 degrees. Conclusion, the thermostat works.
    - the lhs fan does work, when the connection is jumped. I already switched the relays on the fuse board (not really necessary when the fan works I guess)
    - when I measure the temp on the filler neck of the lhs radiator, it gets to 95 degrees celcius.
    The switch on top, 5 inches to the right, does not get up to temp. It reaches a max temperature of say 75 degrees, not enough to open it.
    - I replaced the switch already with a new one, from a Fiat Cinquecento 0,9 liter engine (good to know, a 15 usd part readily available in Europe!)

So it all points towards an air bubble.
    But:
    - when I start the car with the cooling cap off, the level of coolant quickly rises, even with the engine only half warm. So I had to close it again to prevent it spilling out. When cold, the level is the required 6 cm lower than the top (as per WSM)
    - the air screw on top of the thermostat housing lets out no air, only fluid.
    - I was able to check the short small hose to the reservoir, and it is open.
    - I opened up the switch a little, hoping that air would come out, but it only started to leak fluid.
    - I do not believe it is the waterpump (new), as when I restart the hot car (105 degrees or so), with the wire jumped and thus with the lhs fan also working, the temperature drops within 10 seconds to 90 degrees as it should. Only possible with a working waterpump in my opinion. And this would rule out a blockage as well.

So what have I missed? I am starting to think that the normal switch that I installed, should be a very low temp switch, like opening at 70 degrees or so. But the WSM does not point me in that direction, it says 88 -82 degrees, and I do not see the switch get that high.

I assumed that with the brass switch housing, the outside temp of the switch would be more or less the same as the inside which has direct contact with the coolant. Did I assume wrongly?

Any suggestions would really help. Thanks.

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Have you tried placing a jumper wore across the thermo switch in the radiator? If you jump across it the fans should come on as it is equivalent to the switch closing. This will check the entire electrical connection to the fan. If the fan doesn't come on then there is a wiring problems somewhere. Get the car up to temperature first.

3. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    I have jumped the connector that goes on the temp switch. The fan works right away when I turn on the ignition. (that is how I checked if the system is working as it should (flow etc) when the fans works)
    But you mean a jump on the switch itself? I am not sure how that is done.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    Does the fan work when you turn on the airconditioning?

(EDIT: Disregard. I just saw your last post. If you've already jumpered the plug going to the thermo switch and the fan works, then that means the circuitry is ok. i.e. other than, perhaps, the thermo switch itself)

5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You need to bleed it.

6. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    yes, but how? When I leave the cap open, the coolant spills out long before the engine reaches its normal temperature...

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    What is going on is the big air pocket heats up, expands and pushes the coolant out. You just need to let that happen and refill the coolant when the air has escaped. It is a mess..

8. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    So I better start with removing some coolant I guess, before I start the procedure....
    Thanks, will try this tomorrow, keep y'all informed

9. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    +1.
    Pull the plug off the radiator thermostat an insert a wire between the two connections (with key on) the fan should kick on. I used a bent paper clip.

The jumper didn't work for me so I checked the connection to the fan itself. I had replaced the fan about a year before. The connection wasn't seating right any longer. Some fiddling & it works fine now.

10. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Ok, so I removed around a litre of fluid from the reservoir, and replaced the Fiat cinquecento LHS temp switch with a Opel Calibra 2.0 switch ( = fiat Ritmo series 1 from the 1980's), which is a bit lower in temp compared to the fiat 500.
    Then I started the car , and let it warm up. it kept on bubbling in the tank, and it spilled a lot in the end, despite the removal of already 1 liter, before it settled on a level close to the top.
    The lhs fan now kicks in much more then before, but still does not turn full speed longer than say 5 seconds, and then rests for like 30 seconds before it starts again.
    But I believe that is normal, I have read that somewhere I think.
    I am curious at what level the coolant will be when fully cold.

11. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter Karting

Jul 15, 2014
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Dayan
    Hi Robbe,

Just ran the car from cold up to the left fan kicking in (at approx. 95deg). It ran for 5-10 seconds then shut off. I switched the car off after that. I didn't wait for the fan to kick in again as the neighbours don't exactly appreciate their fine china rattling off the shelves...

So normal I would say.

12. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Great. So problem solved (after filling it up to 6 cm under the top tomorrow).

And for the parts cross reference list, the LHS temp switch is a Fiat Ritmo series 1 / Opel / Vauxhall Calibra 2.0 part.

13. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    I have the same problem with left hand fan not moving. I will give it a try

14. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Could you post a link to where to buy the part?

15. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    #15 Robbe, Mar 17, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    As I live in The Netherlands, Europe, I doubt if it is any use to you, but over here we have a shop like your Rockauto and pep boys, called Brezan. And they ordered the part for me, was in the next day. The Fiat Ritmo is not very common anymore (never was actually), but I think the Opel/Vauxhall Calibra connection is easier to find. Anyway, universal parts shops have big catalogues where they can find the part for you easily when looking for Opel/Vauxhall. Be sure to get the right temp spec, 87-82.
    Closing a little later would not be a huge problem I think, so here is an Ebay link to a slightly later closing one:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-RITMO-REGATA-TEMPERATURE-SWITCH-RADIATOR-FAN-86-76-DEGREES-FISPA-/182311077930

16. V8ray

V8ray Formula Junior

Jun 18, 2013
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Superformance UK has them, I just ordered them.