MD Clutches single conversion kit any good??? | FerrariChat

MD Clutches single conversion kit any good???

Discussion in '348/355' started by FSM348, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    I decided to start a separate thread from the other regarding sourcing parts for the stock dual mass setup. I would like to keep this thread specific to how people who used the MD Clutches single conversion kit (or any other manufacturer of such conversion will do).

For $1160 pounds shipped to the US you get:

New Flywheel
    New Starter ring
    Refurbished single clutch

or for $1545 pounds you get a new clutch.

Seams pretty cheap at todays exchange rate. Is the kit worth the swap?

2. 355OXO

355OXO Karting

Apr 16, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon
    He is a 355 Ferrari nut as well and I found all his products and service to be great. He is well respected in the Ferrari UK community.
    Regards
    Simon UK

3. redwedge

redwedge Formula Junior

Sep 30, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Steve C
    I have no experience of that particular conversion, but I can vouch for Andrew's products and service - he fitted a kevlar clutch plate, refurbished flywheel and new pumpkin bearing to my 355 and I have had absolutely no problems.

I think he's sold it now, but he used to race a 355 in a hillclimb series, which provided a pretty tough test of his products.

4. FSM348

FSM348 Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2017
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Dan Smith
    Well, I might as well try the conversion. Sourcing the plastic bits for the dual has become a frustrating endeavor to say the least and I'm no where closer to getting this thing put back together than I was when I started. I'll see what he has in stock.

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    All I can say is that Ive had clutch judder since installing in my 348. Been sent back once already and still judders.

Mine cost close to £1800 and I can see myself converting back to a standard clutch this year as it makes very uncomfortable driving

6. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    That's not the fault of the single plate clutch though. I have an OE single plate in my car and it's perfectly smooth. The only drawback is that the clutch pedal effort is light enough than any old DeMuro can drive it-- I'd prefer the pedal effort be high enough to keep the snowflakes away. ;)

Judder is typically an issue with the friction surface of the flywheel and/or P-plate.

7. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    Judder is typically an issue with the friction surface of the flywheel and/or P-plate.[/QUOTE]

Can this be helped or even cured by engaging a higher gear when stopped (say 4th) and deliberately slipping the clutch to burn/change the surfaces a bit? I heard about this from an old BMW tech. Is there any truth to it?

8. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Not in my experience. In fact, that can lead to glazing that worsens the problem. A light machining of the surfaces should solve the problem as long as the surfaces are cut "true" to the correct plane. But sometimes the clutch disc is affected, especially if someone has tried slipping the clutch in the past. So it's safer to replace the friction material on the clutch disc in addition to the re-machining, especially since it *should* be a pretty inexpensive thing to do.

Sounds like MD may have just goofed on that assembly and inadvertently created a set of conditions where judder occurs. It happens on occasion since there's no way to test it outside of the car. Not sure why their first attempted fix didn't work but hopefully they'll stand behind it and make it right the third time around.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    One thing I can say with working over the years extensive with lightweight high performance flywheels is.

Proper torquing of the flywheel
    Always check runout

Check splines for play or misalignment on clutch
    Proper approach angle of the throwout bearing

Andy make high quality stuff he's a professional for sure

:)

10. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #10 wda24729, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    I purchased the complete bolt in pumpkin, flywheel etc, all fully refurbished. First time it went back was because of some bent spring washers but that didn't cure it. I had the gearbox completely refurbished last year and now the clutch is the only thing that lets the car down now.

Basically in traffic, I have to give it more revs and slip it a little just to make it manageable but that ends up with clutch smell, otherwise its almost shaking the transmission apart.

Andy was very helpful at the time and I guess Im just the unlucky one!

11. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Quite possible. A conversion to a solid flywheel completely changes the rotational masses in the relationship gearbox to clutch. The solid flywheel (plus the clutch pressure plate) is a new large, rigidly connected, rotational mass at the end of the slender drive shaft from the transmission to the clutch. In the case of the dual clutch, there is no such large rigid weight at the end of the shaft but just a small weight connecting it to the flywheel via large travel springs which, together with the grease, provide cushioning/damping preventing resonant torsional vibrations of the shaft-flywheel assembly.

Looks like most people who have converted do not have this problem but, in your case, it is possible that the combination of the new mass, the shaft and the masses and rotational gaps at the other end of the shaft (inside the gearbox) is such that it causes some kind of torsional resonance at the revs at which the clutch normally engages.

12. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Interesting - I think I'll get hold of him again. Thanks

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Reading your post I had a brain fart from the past with old sloppy 4 speed american boxes

Sometimes a change in oil viscosity will correct this. We also used a gear extreme pressure concentrate additive like the BG stuff

I would try a little lighter or thicker trans fluid. Never know it cant hurt

:)

14. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I was running Redline prior to the box rebuild but now on Shell which Ferrari put back in. No difference between the two!

15. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Strange

Has to be a reason, just try finding it :)

Same when car is cold or hot?

Did you check the clutch friction material or flat?

I bet a few hundered good hard driven miles will fix it, hopefully

16. 348/328

348/328 Rookie

May 15, 2016
    USA
    Full Name:
    Zak
    Do they sell a kit for the 348? I see the F355 kit on the website but not the 348 kit. I know they were working on a flywheel for the 348 a while back. Also what is different about their modified 360 friction plate and a stock 360 friction plate?

17. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I'd say worse when hot.

I haven't checked things any further, especially after being sent back once already!

18. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Whipped the clutch out this weekend. Its a twin plate system and the flat surfaces are all randomly glazed, on what appears to be high spots. Friction plates are also very smooth, I guess from the extra revs given to relieve the judder.

I'll call MD this morning but I might consider a single plate system

19. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    #19 m.stojanovic, Apr 10, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I was under the impression that you already had a single clutch plate conversion but I now understand that you have a rebuilt (or new aftermarket?) twin clutch. One thing to note when/if machining the clutch pressure surfaces is that they are not parallel. The picture below shows the shape (including my measurements) of the factory twin clutch plates. I believe that the conical shape helps smooth clutch engagement. One "speculation" could be that, if these surfaces are machined flat (parallel), this could be a cause of clutch judder.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    That makes sense.

21. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
  22. plugzit

plugzit F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Bruce Bogart
    Often rebuilders don't (re)waffle the metal between the friction facings of the disc. When they don't, they judder.