Cold Start Issue - M2.7 (1995) - SURVEY | FerrariChat

Cold Start Issue - M2.7 (1995) - SURVEY

Discussion in '348/355' started by FourthAlfa, Mar 15, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FourthAlfa

FourthAlfa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2015
    Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Andrew Love
    Hi Folks,
    It seems like there are quite of few '95 owners that have noticed the same behavior when starting a 1995 F355 (M2.7) from cold. The car cranks as usual, fires, but immediately stalls. On the second crank it is business as usual, and runs fine after that.
    This "problem" has bubbled up to the top of my list of things to do on my 355 so I have been trying to resolve this, without any success so far.
    The strange thing is that it appears that many of us have the exact same problem, and it appears to be unique to the '95. I'd like to test the hypothesis.

If you have had this issue, would you mind responding to this thread and stating the year of your car?

Also would you mind saying what country you are in ? A friend suggested that it might have something to do with the introduction ethanol in the fuel in the US. Would be interesting to know if anyone in Europe (or other location) has had the same issue.

So if you have had this cold start issue, please respond to this thread with the year of your car and you general location (ie: Europe, US, Canada, etc)

Thanks

(and of course if you have already solved this problem, please chime in!)

2. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    My car is an early 2.7 and usually goes a week or 2 between starts (or months for winter storage) At that point it initially just cranks/doesn't start immediately.

Turn off key, next crank it fires right off. For the rest of that day cold or hot it has no starting issues.

Only a problem if sitting for an extended amount of time. I have not tried to diagnose it.

3. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Turn key on
    wait 30 seconds for the fuel pumps to put gasoline at proper pressure
    Start car.

If you listen closely, you can even hear the fuel pumps reach pressure and become quieter.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Same with the 95 I sold. Andrew and I were emailing about this recently.

My 98 fires right up no matter what (except when I forget to disarm the immobilizer :D )

5. baschul

baschul Karting
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Brian S
    I have a late 2.7 (August of 95). When I bought the car a couple years ago, the previous owner went over his procedure for starting the car, which was key on, crank twice, key off, start normally and it fires right up.

I did this for the first few starts after owning the car and then wondered if it would fire right up on the first try. The results were mixed.

If the car had been driven that day, it always fired right up on the first try.

If the car had been driven within the last two or three days, it would fire right up unless the ambient temp was very cold.

Randomly, I had the airbag light come on one evening and stay on during the drive home. I was immediately worried that I'd have to have the airbag system reset by a tech. Luckily the airbag light operated normally on the start the following morning and has ever since.

From that point on, I started turning the key on, waiting for the airbag light to turn off, and then start. More often than not since I started doing this, the car starts on the first shot unless it's been sitting for more than a week or if the ambient temperature is very cold. I think by doing this, you're giving the fuel system a few extra seconds to fully-prime before starting.

I had my engine out for a top end rebuild, belt service, and several dozen "while you're in there's" during Winter 2015/early 2016. While I had everything apart, I had the injectors cleaned and balanced. Since doing that, the starts are even more reliable on the first try than they were before under all conditions.

I hope this helps, and I'm also curious to hear what the experiences are for other 95/2.7 owners.

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I've had that problem with another car (similar generation) if I hadn't driven it for a while. I don't think it's unique to 2.7 Ferraris. If it's not a priming issue, could it be water separating from the fuel and pooling somewhere?

7. Christof

Christof Karting

Jun 29, 2014
    Australia
    This problem sounds like the fuel pressure regulators not holding any pressure and leaking down. When you go to start next time there is no fuel pressure in the rails. If you turn the key to on for a few seconds and let the pump prime / build pressure, does it make a difference? May also be dirty fuel filters causing this

8. klfpaul

klfpaul Karting

Apr 7, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Paul
    I have never experienced this in the 15 years I have had the car. Mine is a 95 - 2.7 October 94 build date with the dual pumps, filters, and ecu's. I turn the car on, let the pumps prime and pressurize, then crank it (not touching the gas to avoid fooling the ECU should it lack an override during cranking). Depending on how long it has been sitting, hours to months dictates how many cranks it takes before it catches (~1 crank to 6 cranks), but once it catches, it continues to run. Car is California with lots of awful ethanol additive.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    My 95 will only energize the fuel pumps when the crank trigger(s) see 35 rpm each will trigger that side. Just turning the key on should not energize them.
    This was a safety feature that if the car stopped running the fuel would not continue to flow.

Like the others said your getting leakdown from either bad fuel regulators or a leaking injector

:)

10. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The pumps don't work that way by federal law. Have not for a long time.

11. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    I have a 95 (October 95 build) and experience the same issue. I agree with most here that the devil lies in the fuel system priming. Most port fuel injected vehicles of this era have similar issues. Because the fuel rail is higher than the static fuel level, when the car sits, the fuel slowly drains back to the tank. This causes some trapped air on the next start that needs to bleed out of the injectors before pressurized fuel reaches them. In later vehicles (at least GM) they added checks in the regulator to prevent drainback.
    I guess if it really is a headache, you could intall a checkvalve on the discharge side of the fuel filter.

12. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Same issue with my '95 (Dec '94 build date). Car located near SF in CA. On the 2nd crank it works 100% of the time -- I will try turning the key on and waiting for a bit on a cold start and see if that makes a difference.

13. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I have an early 95. New pressure regulators and most times does not start on first try.
    I find it is outside temp related. I have had the car for 17 yrs and never started on first try from cold unless outside temp is 65-70 degrees. I usualy drive it every day for 5 months so never sits for long. I wonder if it is the ecu enrichment which reads water temp and enriches accordingly. My computers are programmable so we are going to look at temp enrichment and see if it makes a difference. Don't know if this is true but had heard that the fuel pumps have a check valve to prevent fuel pressure loss.

14. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    well I have something somewhat similar with my 1997.

rarely but completely random/sporadic..

" pure cold start" min 24hrs.. put in key, turn just before ignition, wait, then fire up.
    starts perfect, and then idle immediately drops and sits there, struggles but does not stall.
    give a little throttle to bring idle back up, and then drops again.

turn car off, and immediately fire up again, and its perfect, at correct idle..

this does not seem to be Time related.. it can happen the morning after I just drove the car, or on start up after a week.

for example, my car is stored now, I fired it up about a month ago, after it had been sitting for 3months. fired up/idled perfect without issue.

so whenever it does happen, I just shut it down immediately and restart.

15. Arturin

Arturin Karting

Aug 16, 2009
    Spain
    Euro 95 and never had that problem in the 20.000 miles I've driven the car. Outside temperature range: 0C to +37C

16. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    My 95 used to do this. SF, CA. The starter solenoid took a crap and my shop did some kind of starter relay bypass or something. I think it was something they learned fixing a similar issue on a 348. Will dig through my records to see what it was. Sorry I'm not well versed mechanically! Car fires up every time now right away, regardless of ambient temp or time sitting. 61k miles on the car.

17. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Mine does the same, but if the computer has been reset (ie after turning battery off while the car sits for a few weeks) it fires right up without issue, so it's learning something that causes it to stall (imo).

18. PeteyP

PeteyP Formula Junior

May 3, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Petey
    This. 1000000%

19. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Sure about that?

group77racing likes this.
  20. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Brian posted it's not the case.

If one did not want to take his word for it, checking the pumps signal with key on would confirm :)

21. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Same issue on my 95.

22. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Yes, that's why I posted sure about that?

Well, that and Tim's post.

:)

23. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Its every car made, not just Ferrari. Pumps run for about 2 seconds then off unless the motor is started. It is a federal motor vehicle safety standard. Engine management manufacturers have incorporated it their systems world wide. Ferrari has had it since 1980.

24. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    Found the receipt, they overhauled the starter and installed a "custom relay harness".

As I said before the car never has a problem starting since this was done. I can ask about what the harness does if anyone's interested.

25. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #25 SoCal1, Mar 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That they are just bypassing or adding another relay to the 2 that are under the footbboard that are so troublesome in some cases's

I went through the starter, fuel system extensively to the point I completey removed from the car and bech or should I say driveway tested and rebuilt it LOL
    Image Unavailable, Please Login