'96 355 radio/lock/door marker issue | FerrariChat

'96 355 radio/lock/door marker issue

Discussion in '348/355' started by carbonsmith, Apr 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carbonsmith

carbonsmith Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    l've tried searching with not much help.

All was working fine. Lost power to the radio, electric door locks, door marker lights at once, and now as of recent the passenger window. You hear a click when you hit the window switch, but no action.

I've checked all of the fuses in the front left panel under the bonnet, all ok. Don't have a diagram for the passenger footwell panel, or maybe some other areas I can check that I'm missing?

Are these items (excluding the pass window issue) all on one circuit? Or am I having multiple problems?

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You got a spider?

3. carbonsmith

Jun 11, 2016
    Yes, it's a Spider.

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    #4 Qavion, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    Fuse 30 (or on later cars, fuse 29) in the passenger footwell provides power to the Door Locking ECU and interior lights. Is your clock working?

However, Mitchell (Yelcab) probably has an idea what's going on here. I'd wait for his response.

Cheers
    Ian

(EDIT: I thought the Window ECU was on the same same fuse... It's not.... message corrected)

5. carbonsmith

Jun 11, 2016
    Forgot about the clock. It illuminates but also isn't working. I'll check that footwell panel this eve. Hopefully Mitchell can chime in.

Thanks!

6. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Yes, the clock mechanism is also on Fuse 29 (or 30). For info, the backlighting for the clock is in the front luggage compartment (Fuse 12 on most cars).

A fuse may be an easy fix, but I don't know how long it will last (there may be a underlying problem)

Good luck ;)

7. carbonsmith

Jun 11, 2016
    Thanks for the help. Got the radio/locks/clock working. Still can't quite pinpoint the passenger window issue. Checked all associated fuses in both panels, all ok for the Window. Any relays I should be checking? As mentioned before, you hear a click when either RH window switch is selected but no action.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Some progress at least. I guess here is where it gets tricky. Note that there are no relays in the system other than the internal relays in the Window ECU: Refer this recent message thread...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/549509-f355-door-glas-window-lifting-ecu-issue.html

Of course, there are lots of inputs to the ECU, including those from the convertible roof system. The wiring diagram also shows an input from the door open switches (not sure why). Actually, I had some (presumably) finger troubles the other day when my windows wouldn't go up. I closed the doors and roof and all was well (not sure what fixed it). However, I don't know if a signal from the roof system will stop only stop one window working (as in your case).

When you say you hear a click, do you mean from the switch, or something inside the door (like a motor trying to operate)?

9. carbonsmith

Jun 11, 2016
    I still have not sorted out the passenger window issue. Still won't operate up or down. When I press the passenger window switch (either of the two in the vehicle) you hear an audible click coming from under the drivers side dash/column. I've cleaned the main door harness that plugs into the door jam area. Removed the inner door panel, and checked the harness for the passenger window switch. I'm a bit puzzled.

10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Did you try putting 12 volts power directly on the window motor to see if it works? If the plug on the door hinge is accessible, contacts 24 & 19 go to the motor (red-yellow and white-red wires). It's a powerful motor, so expect sparks when you hook up the test wiring (if you don't have an inline switch in your test setup). Reverse the test wiring if the window tries to go in the wrong direction.

If the motor works, you'd have to check the wiring from the Window ECU plug (behind the radio) to the motor or to the pins mentioned above. Pins 9 and 10 on the ECU (big plug) go to the motor. If those things are ok, it could be the ECU or one of its inputs. The audible click is a good sign that the signals are getting to the ECU, but the relay contacts in the ECU may be faulty.

Is your car a 2.7 or 5.2?

11. carbonsmith

Jun 11, 2016
    Many thanks for that info. To answer your q, car is a 5.2. I did not try direct power to the motor, wasn't clear on which pins in the door harness. I will give this a try now that you've clarified which is which.

12. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Here's a diagram I whipped up earlier....

F355 5.2 Window diagram

On the F348, there were some wiring changes down the line, so there may be similar changes with the F355.