Seatbelt tip | FerrariChat

Seatbelt tip

Discussion in '348/355' started by desmomini, Apr 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I discovered something about the lap belts in the 348/355 that I didn't know, and didn't see in prior threads - want to leave it here to help those searching in the future.

My 348 came without lap belts (go figure.) I had temporary racing lap belts installed, with the goal of finding originals.

i located an original on eBay, with all mounting hardware to install under the seat. The belt was fully retracted, and would not budge. This unit is shared with the Testarossa/512, and I found a number of folks who had this problem. All searches here showed people who had disassembled or replaced their belts. I did nothing to mine, leaving that as something on the eventual "things to do" list.

Recently, I found another lap belt, this time a new old stock unit from Algar Ferrari. When it arrived, it, too, was fully retracted and wouldn't budge. Hmm...what are the odds of TWO lap belts not moving, along with others with the same complaint?

I called the parts department of Algar to describe my quandry, and was told that these belts are tricky...they will remain stuck in the locked, retracted position unless they are held in precisely the proper angle as they would be when mounted in the vehicle. Tried moving each of mine a fraction of an inch at a time (held against a flat surface) and voila! Each moved...and in every case, if I moved the unit a fraction of an inch away from optimal, they wouldn't move at all.

So there you go...if your lap belts are stuck, try slightly changing their angle until they free up again!

2. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yes, same is true for all seat belts. They lock if tipped from whatever the upright position would be in the car. Forward g force or gravity in a roll over moves a little dangling weight into the locked position.

3. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    This can also happen as I noticed when putting on seat covers. To install seat covers I removed the belt from the seat guide by headrest. When got in seatbelt was jammed and pain in the ass to get loose.