Making WSM wire traces visible | FerrariChat

Making WSM wire traces visible

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Apr 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #1 johnk..., Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I though I might pass this on to other. As we all know the wiring diagrams in the WSM are difficult, at best, to use to trace wires. However, if you open the PDF in Adobe and click on the page it will be highlighted in blue (Adobe XI reader V11.0) and the wire traces become clear. See below. Left, original, right, highlighted.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Must be individual eyes. I see no difference in clarity at all John ;)

3. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    It helps a tiny bit... Less glare from an all white page, I guess. However, the biggest problem I have is joining up all the lines at the edge of the pages (especially if the page wasn't sitting flat when it was scanned).

...and you still need to decode colours, and component numbers...

Anyway, I've nearly finished all my gif conversions... :p

F355 Window Wiring Schematic

Cheers
    Ian.

4. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Yep, those are nice but not everyone has a full set. I have a few. Is there a link to a download for all of them?

5. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    John, the diagrams are in a constant state of flux as I learn more about the car.

Here's a zip file with my latest amendments.

http://www.members.iinet.net.au/[email protected]/FerrariF355Spider/F355WiringDiagrams.zip

There are still a few unknowns:
    In some of the original diagrams, some wires have different colour codes at opposite ends of the wires, so I won't be able to confirm the colours until I see it on the car.
    The diagrams are Euro-based, so I don't know what, say, USA or Canada cars are like.
    I don't have diagrams for the Spider or the Challenge.

Actually, your blue highlight trick did work for a few items... Thanks! It resolved some of the conflicting pin numbers.

I'll update the files periodically...

Cheers
    Ian

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Ian - any reason you are doing these a GIF's and not PDF's?

Regardless - sharing these is greatly appreciated :)

7. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Thanks Ian.

8. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Simple, Dave... I don't have an Adobe editor program (crazy expensive) and I'm not familiar with editing pdf files (other than adding pop-up text notes on existing files in Adobe Reader). I had to take screenshots of the original pdfs, then redraw and colour every line in the clumsy Windows Paint program. Where the areas for adding text was too small, I had to rescale objects or move lines (not easy when you have 20 lines intersecting each other). For the more complex diagrams, it probably took 30 or so hours of editing (I needed to do something in my retirement) :D

I'm assuming most people run Windows on their home PCs, so the files can be modified in standard Windows Paint to suit their own purposes.

I guess some might have problems with this format. I don't know how you guys are getting these files onto iPads and iPhones (I'm using an App to transfer files). I guess you could send yourself an email with the files attached and open them that way. At least gifs don't take up much room on your devices.

Hope this makes sense

Cheers

P.S. I've done a couple of 348 diagrams, but I've had no hands on experience with the car, so, in some cases, I may have made some obvious errors in interpretation.

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #9 johnk..., Apr 22, 2017
  10. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Wow... that's cool.

Errr ... I hope it wasn't too difficult. John ... I just amended a few of the diagrams. I also removed the 5.2 ECU pinout diagram: Too many sources of information are conflicting with each other.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm guessing John just "print to PDF"

12. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Npoe. Real simple. What Dave said.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Phew, thanks...

Later this week, I'll re-introduce a corrected 5.2 ECU pinout diagram. There are still a couple of items causing me grief (especially the temperature sensors). Just bear in mind that, according to Ricambi parts lists, there are 11 different ECUs and 6 different ECUs wiring harnesses. It may be best to consult the experts when trying to figure out ECU wiring problems.

Standby....

Cheers
    Ian

14. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Before I post my "new improved"versions, I was wondering if anyone has an up-to-date diagram of the 5.2 ECU wiring schematic which shows the power source(s) on pins "2" of the coil packs (On the 2.7 engine, the coil power comes off the steering wheel ignition lock, via the respective L/R bank disconnect plug. It's strangely un-fused power).
    Both of the 5.2 diagrams I have omit this coil power wiring (only showing an output from pins 2 to the diagnostic port)
    Thanks,
    Cheers

15. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    John, I've gone as far as I can go with my amendments until further information is forthcoming... plus, my eyes are starting to bleed :D

My latest gif files are here...

Colourful electrical diagrams

If you have the time, would you please convert these to a pdf file.

Thanks!

Cheers
    Ian

16. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #16 johnk..., May 1, 2017
  17. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Oooh... pretty.... Almost looks professional :D

And it's great being able to zoom at will (and rotate the diagrams... Shift+Control+Minus (or Plus)

Much appreciated, John )

Cheers

18. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    P.S. And thanks to Dave (Rocks) for setting me straight on 2.7 crank sensors. Diagrams amended accordingly ;)

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #19 johnk..., May 1, 2017
    Hey, I straightened Dave out on that one. :) But, looking at the 1-4 diagram, if you are looking at the front of the engine, the crank sensor in on the right side (driver's side) and the engine rotates clockwise.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #20 johnk..., May 1, 2017
  21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #21 Dave rocks, May 1, 2017
    What are you talking about buddy?

On another forum, I advised Ian that 2.7 have 2 crank sensors and 5.2 has 1 :)

I'm straight and yes, I knew the rotation - it's in the WSM :)

Refresh my memory - did you determine the diagram posted has the sensors mislabeled for the banks? (in reverse?)

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #22 Dave rocks, May 1, 2017
  23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Dave, I purposely had the pages in landscape mode because they fill the page (full sheet) if you print a hard copy. You can rotate the pages when displayed in Acrobat from the menu and the will retain the full sheet size. Sorry Dave, I got it right the first time. :)

As for me straightening you out, remember the conversation we had after I replace my 1-4 sensor where you were trying to tell me the 1-4 sensor was on the bottom, 5-8 on the side? :)

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm not a dinosaur, John - I don't print the stuff ;) And, you should still be able to print properly either way ;) (I just did so and they are exact) :) :)

I do recall the discussion by not the end result - please confirm if the WSM has them swapped - I make notes on my (electronic) copy :)

25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #25 johnk..., May 1, 2017
    A) Then it 6 or one to 1/2 dozen of the other. But, yes, I do fall ingot he dinosaur category. Long live flip phones!!!! (At leas I don't have to worry about butt dialing and screens breaking.)

B) WSM sure looks wrong to me. 5-8 TDC is 90 degrees later that 1-4, so TDC sensor is positioned 90 degrees later. Remember I had to trace the harness back to the ECU to be sure when I had the 1-4 TDC problem. Here is the routing of the harness: 1-4, red, 5-8, blue.