Advice for 348 tires | FerrariChat

Advice for 348 tires

Discussion in '348/355' started by Lars Ljungstrom, Apr 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Hi,
    I'm going to buy new tires for my 348 and would appreciate some advice very much. It's got to be the original dimensions: 215/50R17 front and 255/45R17 rear.

Anyone has experience of Pirelli P Zero Assimmetrico front and rear?

Many thanks in advance,

Lars:)

2. Ferrarimondial348

Ferrarimondial348 Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2012
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Stephen
    Not sure about the European markets, I assume you are not in the USA, but i dont believe Pirelli P Zero Assimmetrico's are available for OEM 348 wheel figment anymore. I've looked here in the US and have only found fronts and they where manufactured far to many years ago for my liking. Continental Contact DW are readily available and IMHO the best of the rest. BTW, if anyone from the 348 Brotherhood knows of an outlet for Pirelli P Zero Assimmetrico's that fit 348 OEM wheels please share.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  4. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks everybody so far for your kind help!!!

5. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
  6. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Many thanks for your input, Chuck! :)

7. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    I would suggest switching to the 355 or 360 wheels and tire sizes instead. There are many more alternatives available for these 18" wheels than the stock 17's of a 348. Plus the car will handle much better and be a whole lot safer to drive.

8. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Indeed.

I run the Challenge wheels with 235 in the front and 295 in the rear.

Kai

9. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks for your input Vince, a good suggestion!
    Lars :)

10. Hubs348

Hubs348 Karting

May 9, 2013
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Similar to Kai (and actually due in part to his posts some years ago) I just switched to 360 Starfish Wheels with 235 front / 285 rear and just mounted P zero asymetricos. Great improvement. I know of someone who is selling his 360 Starfish Wheels who lives in Las Vegas if your in need.

11. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have 430 wheels with 225 front and 285 rear
    The rears stick out about 2cm from the fender
    Lots of 360 wheels for sale in Europe but same ET values as the 430 wheels

I run Conti Sportcontact5 in the standard size on my 348, no safety issues!

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia

430 wheels have a different offset.

Even though I use 295 in the rear they are flush with the fender.

[​IMG]

Kai

13. Silber

Silber Karting

Jun 6, 2014
    Switzerland
    I have P Zero Asimetrico in the standard sizes on my standard 348 wheels. All good. Even better with the geo set up well.

14. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks everyone for your input! Much appreciated! I think I'll do as Silber in the latest post – buy P Zero Assimetricos in the original dimensions for my original 348 wheels and then get a professional set up/alignment and check the tire pressures regularly. My Ferrari workshop tells me that set up/alignment and correct pressures are particularly important on the 348s.
    Thanks again :D

15. blue90

blue90 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Are 348 tires rated as 94Y front and rear are 97Y? There are a few summer tires in this weight/speed range that are way cheaper if you have the weather.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

16. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Hi "Silber",
    What pressures do you use for the front and rear tires?
    Thanks in advance,
    Lars:)

17. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    I have just fitted P Zero Asimetrico. (rears yesterday and front will be done this afternoon) Standard 348 rims/sizes.

As far as I know (in the UK anyway) they are the only make and model of tyre to get a matching set front and rear.

Worth chatting to your local tyre dealer. I found the Pirelli website of little help. You may also find that the PZero Asimetrico are listed at least twice in our sizes, especially for the rear, with at least one listed as fitment for Ferrari, but with a considerable increase in price. Another 348 owner in the Uk has chatted to Pirelli and apparently these are for the 456, that required a tyre rated for a heavier load.

Cheers

18. Lars Ljungstrom

Lars Ljungstrom Karting

Sep 20, 2016
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars Ljungström
    Thanks for your comment!
    The thing is that I fitted Asimmetricos front and rear on my original 348 rims and filled them with the recommended pressure for the original Bridgestone RE71 – 2.4 kg/cm2 front and 2.6 rear – and was extremely disappointed. It felt like a completely different car from what I was used to with the previous Bridgestone Potenza S001 front and Potenza S-02 Pole Position rear (very old) – it felt unstable both driving straight ahead and in curves, dangerous even. I heard from a tyre dealer that the Asimmetricos have a pretty hard core, so I got the idea of lowering the pressure. I lowered the pressure 0.3 kg front and rear, to 2.1 front and 2.3 rear, and it transformed the car. Now I recognized it and it felt stable and reliable (even if new soft rubber with deep groves, of course can be a little "wobblier" than old, hard rubber with worn down groves). Such a relief!!!!!!!! Now I'm happy again:D
    PS. Thanks also for your info on the different versions and prices. This is very valuable info for all potential Asimmetrico-buyers!!!