CA Emissions Testing | FerrariChat

CA Emissions Testing

Discussion in '348/355' started by dougburhyte, Apr 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Hi folks,

I have a curious problem: My 1999 355, which I acquired in 2005, has always passed the CA emission tests with flying colors. It seems, though, that new testing machines introduced a couple of years back no longer "communicate" with the car's OBD II system. In 2006 I did have the dealer warranty service performed that added a ground connection to the OBD system and I've never had a problem until now. The emissions data all look fine and do pass; but when it comes to the OBD check, the machines report back that the system is "Unsupported". This has happened at two separate smog shops. Anyone else in California run into this issue? Thanks for your help!

Doug

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I'm in NY and my last 2 inspections the OBDII was connected and kicked right out with an immediate "pass". So, I assume mine is also no longer supported so NYS (if you can believe it), passes the car.

3. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

No I have not but did here of this on some machines, you may need to go to a referee or find a shop that knows what to do.

:)

4. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    That has to be super irritating. Check they type of SMOG machine they used and if there are other models in the field. Find a shop with a different model sniffer if possible.
    Call the Ferrari dealer service department in CA. Im sure they have heard about it if it has happened to anyone else.

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    We have Cali regs here in MA. I heard that after 15 years it's safety only so the OBD check is not required. But we don't have sniffer. If it passes sniffer it should pass, no?

6. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    No Sniff test for ODB cars in Ca. If 2 smog shops could not pass because of an error message that is a prime case for smog referee. Call them up and explain. They will have a tech from the closest location call you back and qualify you so that an appointment can be set up to have the referee do the test.

7. eastwest7

eastwest7 Karting

Oct 1, 2014
    roseville,ca
    Try to find a smog shop that has a battery powered ob2 reader. Your car may have a blown fuse that also cuts power to your OBD plug. That happens to my Silverado all the time with the cigarette lighter fuse being bad and the obd plug not working.

8. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Thanks, guys, for all the good input. I'm trying a different smog shop today and will hopefully find out it was unique to the shop that couldn't read the data.

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I wonder if cali test only shops can help. In 2008 was the latest version of obd2. starting in the 96 MY obd2 has changed to the latest 2008 version. So it might be a smog shop or state wide issue with software incompatibility. We have that issue with people tracking streetcars with AIMsolo DL data recorders. The AIM only works on OBD2 after 2008 but sometimes will read an earlier version in a few cars prior. That's my WAG

10. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I would think the easiest thing to do is plug in an OBDII reader and see if the plug and system are working properly. Depending on the reader, it can tell you everything that they should be able to see at the Emissions station. If the plug and the data is there.....it just makes for a stronger case that something isn't right with the software they are using.

I would start there before I took it to another emissions tester.

11. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Any good Ferrari mech should have a reader that can tell you exactly what is happening. Go there first before going to another test site.

12. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Hi All,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I think the OBD issue has been located. Apparently one or more of the wires leading into the OBD connector have become loose or damaged. The second smog station I visited discovered this inadvertently. They found that by jiggling and holding the wires in place they could successfully connect to their computer but, unfortunately, could not keep the connection in place long enough to transmit all the data. So, it was another failure, but at least a cause was ascertained. I'll be having my service shop make the necessary repairs and run all the tests for codes, etc.within a couple of weeks so we can then take another shot at full smog test. Thanks again for all the good ideas; they were most helpful, and appreciated.

Doug