355 a classic? | FerrariChat

355 a classic?

Discussion in '348/355' started by jjtjr, Apr 20, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
  2. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    WTF is this guy talking about!?

“It was also the first truly reliable Ferrari,” adds Hartley Junior. “Unlike the Testarossa and 348, you could invariably put one in for a routine service without being hit with an astronomical bill.”

Sigh. Yet another bash the 348 and swoon over the 355 article. It sort of ruins the overall point which is that the 355 HAS become a modern classic and rightfully so. But Hartley Junior...come on man.

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Which only tells you that the 348 is well suited for the Enthusiast who's also a Gearhead. :)

4. PhilB

PhilB Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 17, 2004
    NYC, USA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I took that statement from the point ov view of when the 355 was brand new. It was more or less the 1st Ferrari and super car that you could live with on a daily basis.

Even today, a fully sorted 355 is brilliant. The longer I own mine, the more I wonder why I waited as long as I did to acquire one.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    It is easy to say that both F355 and 348 are classics.

Both are dated by their respective eras. Both fun and striking cars.

I'd be happy to own either.

Robb

6. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    "I can see this particular example being a quarter-of-a-million-pound car within the next 10 years.”
    Why sell it then, Tom? better corner the market, buy some 500 extra of these magnificent machines, and retire in 10 years as a Multi millionaire...

7. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    For a start, this is a nearly three year old article.

I think you'll find they're already multi-millionaires. If you're familiar with the kind of cars they deal with the 355 would be pretty much the bottom end.

8. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    My thoughts exactly. His brother Carl drives a Veyron.

9. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Correct. A quick look at their current inventory tells you they don't really need to talk up 355 values to try to make a buck.

I'd also add that a F355 Spider (a car that I saw in person several times) sold in the U.K. last year for £160k so I guess £250k in ten years time is not out of the question.
    Not that it really matters.

Having said that, the comment that you can take your 355 to the dealer for a service confidently knowing you won't get a surprisingly big bill is pretty funny, in a not very funny way. :D

10. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    The 355 is a classic based on the exhaust note alone IMO.

11. UConn Husky

UConn Husky F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It's the body lines...I still remember back in the mid 90's going to a Ferrari event walking around and stopping at the 355, the wide low stance from the rear was just perfect. Just look at Robb's profile pic...that says it all :D

12. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Don't get me wrong, I like the 355 quite a lot. But I really think the 348 interior is worlds better. I have always disliked the "open center" under the dash and above the console on the 308/328 and then 355/360/430, etc. I like that the 348 has a true "up to dash" center console.

Also, the door panels are just Italian exotic sexiness with the strakes and hockeystick flip up. The gauges are just absolutely classic--sort of like classic VDO font on Porsches (and many Volkswagens including my old Corrado VR6)---that mean orange font. The 355+ gauges are just meh. They smoothed out some of the dash features, the power steering (no thanks), the jellybean front bumper.

I love the angular front bumper of the 348 with the side intake. The one thing about the 355 that I actually do like better are the open intakes on the doors--and the tail is a debatable detail.

But the lack of power steering and that interior to me is what sets the 348 apart. And the lack of all of the "355 issues" that everyone always complains about. Yes, would I love to have that higher rpm and sound? Sure. But is it worth it over everything else about the 348? Not to me.

13. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    That also being said, considering that basically all Ferrari did was take a 348 and put a new front and rear bumper on it and removed the door strakes, the 355 looks surprisingly cohesive. I've always found that pretty amazing.

14. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes, I was first smitten with the 355 when I saw it in GOLDENEYE, but as the years wore on, the 348 actually started looking better to me. Plus, the 348 gets a lot more real world "wow factor" when driven on the street, probably because of the baby Testarossa strakes, which look unlike anything else on the road (except a Testarossa, of course.)

15. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #15 Wade, Apr 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The ZZR1400 and Concours get my attention every time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login