The more I drive this car the more I love it! | FerrariChat

The more I drive this car the more I love it!

Discussion in '348/355' started by buddyg, Apr 22, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Now that Spring has arrived I have been driving my 355 a lot. The more I drive it the more I love it. It's not super fast like my daily driver, but it handles well and looks like a super model.

It's an experience every time you drive it. So glad I finally have a Ferrari and one of the best versions too!

2. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    My car arrived 70 days ago. 50 days in the shops (detail, replace parts, fix stuff, etc.) 4 sunny days of driving and 3 rainy. 300+ miles so far. I hope there is more sun coming but I'll be driving to day rain or shine.

3. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    We don't get a lot of sun in Michigan.

4. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Suns shining right now Johnny!

5. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I put almost 60 miles on my this weekend. Yesterday i took a back road due to traffic a new viper followed me for about 10 miles. He was behind me as we turned onto a 4 lane road and i punched it in 2nd. I intentionally took the jump because i knew what was coming. even starting before him, 4 car lengths in front, by the time i hit 90, he flew by me with about 30mph advantage lol.
    20 years newer, and twice the HP, nearly 3 times the torque.
    Either way, he gave me some thumbs up later at the light

i've always said the 355 is "fun fast". Now that im in my 30s with kids and losing great friend to a fast car wreck, I actually get more joy out from "fun fast" than "scary fast" Which most of my cars before this fell under.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    So much more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow. The 458 is almost an unusable car. It's an absolute bore to drive below license suspension speeds. The 355 is a great drivers car, just be very mindful of the cost of ownership. That car will bite you hard one day.

7. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I just took mine down to the "big city" about 15 or so miles away for some dinner with family. The freeway is pretty clear, wide and smooth. The nice thing is there are some open tunnel (side walls and over passes) for the on-ramp and so it was nice to hear the capristo at 8k rpm resonating against all the cement. I still want to hear it from behind in another car but I don't trust anyone to drive it. ;)

8. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #8 taz355, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    I feel if you feed it every day them it wont bite you. But ignore it or feed it crap and as said above by Howie it Will bite you harddd.

9. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I think you need a capristo exhaust. I think I'm selling this red gts soon I need to free up cash for the other 355 but If I don't sell it I may want to sell the capristo that just sitting on the shelf.

Maybe I need to put that exhaust on for you to hear it

10. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    prior to owning my 355.. I owned a 2005 Nissan 350Z..
    after about 6 years of ownership.. I decided to Supercharge it..at that time I was more into the "tuning" scene..

after Supercharger install.. the car dynod 420WHP and 350Wtq..
    that is in the vicinity of 500hp and 400tq at the crank.
    the car was a blast to drive, it was a monster. making you want to push it all the time.
    but after a couple of seasons.. the excitement quickly wore off..
    the power was just not useable on street..

now with the 355.. basically my all time favorite car.. the power it does have.. is just more useable in the street.. the fun, enjoyment of this car simply does not wear off..!

11. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    Drock28, you must life in a different country than me or something because my 505RWHP 502/RWTQ BMW M4 with a DCT and all the god modes left on is a blast, Sure, its a 3.2 second blast on the freeway onramp, or a quick blip to pass a blue hair or sandal lover but it sure is fun. A few track days are fun to.

Having said that, the 355 is perfect in that it sounds awesome, it rolls on the power very smooth (unlike my M4 that hits 500+ RWTQ at about 2700 RPM). For a mid 90's it is a super great car.

The maintenance is fine. It makes me think I'll rarely see another on the road making me a bit exclusive and most Ferrari enthusiasts know this is an enthusiasts car not a "oh I drive a ferrari" car.

If I had a couple complaints... I'd say number one is that while parked in public the number of womens panties that end up under my windshield wipers with a number or Tinder ID is just way too high. There is no glove box in an 1995 so I look like a panty thief and heaven forbid my windows are down while driving and scores fly out the window.... ok so that isn't a complaint, in fact it hasn't happened to me thankfully.... seriously, the complaints I have are....

The driving position could have been better
    The car is a bit "floaty" but still rough (the steering is slightly vague like a newer Camry)
    The engine response (RPM up/down) is great for the 90's but a bit slow (not under load, just revs).

Seriously, if these are the complaints, then this is an excellent car. Also, I am comparing against a 20 year newer modified BMW M4 so that's not really fair.

Love the car... bought it for the sound.

12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Let's talk about it.

13. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    My Hellcat with 707 hp is a blast to drive. I use the power all the time, in fact it's my daily driver. However it's an experience driving the 355 and when you think about it 375 hp was pretty huge in 1997.

14. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    buddyg, I couldn't agree more.