348 Camshaft Timing Question | FerrariChat

348 Camshaft Timing Question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Koenig1, Apr 24, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    #1 Koenig1, Apr 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi, just starting my 'overdue' major. The previous owner put all of 6K kms since 2009 Major. My 1st engine out... that said, the cams at TDC are basically lining up except for the passenger side intake. I'm a little concerned about this particular cam, as all the markings(this cam) are a bit off? Originally was looking for old paint marks, all of which line up(approx) except for passenger intake. Pulled valve covers, same discovery. Engine always ran strong, although I've always had a high idle since PO(maybe that's why he sold?). Pita chasing down any possible air leaks, air valve screws basically shut- 1/4 turn open??, gave up- figured I'd find a leaky air hose somewhere when I did the major.... back to the cams.. Pictures are worth a 1000 words...
    All ideas welcome...
    1st pic= shows intake gear not at linear top
    2nd pic= cam factory markings of passenger side intake
    3rd pic= passenger side cams
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    #2 Koenig1, Apr 24, 2017
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The cams are a mile off. In any event, the marks are referred to by Ferrari as assembly marks, only intended to allow assembly without damaging the valves until real timing can take place.

You say engine always ran strong? How many 348s have you driven?
    What were the exhaust gas readings on the right and left side, precat?

Who did the major in 2009?

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Yikes :eek:

Did you put a degree wheel on and check the actual timing to see how off it is? Looks like it's 5-10 degrees off. Wow.

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    My calibrated eye ball say 15.8* off.

6. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Wow, several replies already! I'll answer your's 1st. The PO had a dvd of the last Major, but 'conveniently' lost it when purchased! I have been in touch with the shop that did the Major and he looked to find another copy for me, to no avail! I called the shop this afternoon, left message, will talk with them tomorrow...
    -How many 348's have I driven... exactly 2!!! but, to further my assumptions that it ran quite strong... I roadraced 'Professionally' throughout North America(13 years) with Yamaha TZ750s & 250's... so I do have some background at speed back in the day. I know that you could probably care less, but back to the 348.
    - I don't have "exhaust gas readings on the right and left side, precat" but will say that the car passed the Ontario Smog BS... I could look up the #s if need be.
    -The previous Major was done by Daytona Motors/ Woodbridge On Canada.

7. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    I haven't put a degree wheel on yet, just got this apart....

8. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Thanks for your thought!!!

9. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Of course, that is based on the marks, which as Brian noted are for assembly.

10. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Without knowing anything else, I would say put a degree wheel on it, find out how far that cam is off, and then go from there.

11. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    ^This^

12. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Well... perhaps I'm over my head with this one! I can certainly see why most do not care to 'time' their cams... what a PITA. note: for those of you that say this is easy... well, not in my shoes! I followed what I thought was a pretty good writeup
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355-sponsored-bradan/354422-348-cam-timing-instructions.html
    I read this 3x+, and I still cannot follow properly. Each time I come to something new... is it clockwise or counter... then degree wheel or dial gauge. I've finally thrown in the towel for today before taking a BFH to it.... GEEZ!
    I've been known throughout life to stick with it, regardless whether I can't read right! I'm the kind of guy that once visually shown, I get it.... but this... just Stupid talking here!
    This am called the shop that did the 2009major. He stated they always time their cams. I explained that 3 cams were close in relationship with the factory markings, but there was just this intake cam that was way out. He was just as curious... suggesting to call him back once a timing wheel was on. I proceeded to mount up the wheel, dial gauge in 1st cyl and verified (60x) what was TDC. The good news is it was just a bit off from the snub wheel gear mark. Still didn't solve my dilemma, although it 'adjusted' the factory cam marks 'closer'. If the Dealer wasn't 350miles away, I'd be trailering it there this afternoon! I still think I can do this, just needed a break to 'vent' and recharge! LOL.
    Any comments or HELPFUL instructions... I'm open to most anything...
    I will ask this... please be gentle....

13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #13 Rifledriver, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    More like 2 teeth.

Hard to see 5 degrees.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you get the factory instructions and follow those they were intended to get the cams properly timed, easily without a bunch of special tools.

15. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #15 johnk..., Apr 25, 2017
    I estimated around 16 degrees from the mark misalignment. How many teeth is that? Like 1 and 1/2?

16. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    On a 348, the teeth are 10 degrees apart. I think a 1/2 tooth (5 degrees) could be seen... :)

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    10 cam degrees. Who measures anything in cam degrees...ever?

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Again CAM degrees. No one ever measures cam degrees.

19. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I would not try to forensically figure out what the guy did before. You have no idea the condition of that motor. There could have been non-factory machining, prior service sloppiness etc which could effect what timing looks like. Just note in your head which cam might be off but trust the factory marks until proven otherwise. While assembly marks are not timing marks they are close, often very close and often dead on on unmolested motors. A 348 will run very well at the consumer acceptable assembly marks as just an FYI. Many many have been set up this way pro and DIY although few would admit it. I would do my major and go through the timing exercise and be happy once I confirmed that my timing marks were near the assembly marks. if you get wild results you are probably wrong and I would tread carefully and turn the motor by hand to get a good sense of pistons clearing valves. If the one is still off "some" I would tend to trust it if the car ran well before and I was comfortable with timing technique. It is also not a bad idea to get a baseline compression and leak number set while you are in there and doing that just cements better understanding of motors in general. Consider intake valve cleaning which is easy to do when cams are out and fuel injector service from a good builder like RC engineering in Torrance, Ca..

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    ^^^Sage advice from FBB.

Sandy, do you have a copy of the factory repair manual?

21. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Heck, you could easily see one degree misalignment in the marks. Knowing it's 1 degree is another thing.

22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Well if one is familiar with those motors and knowing lobe positions you can eyeball the relative positions of the intake and exhaust lobes and see one is quite a ways off even when the marks are ignored. FYI, the marks on the cams and bearing caps are the assembly marks made during part production. The chisel marks on the pulleys were made by the engine assembler so if the motor leaked or went bang on the dyno it could be ripped apart and fixed without going through timing again.

The combination of the assembly marks, the pulley marks and the lobe positions leads me to conclude this motor was last timed by Stevie Wonder.

23. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    ??? The CAM marks are off by about 16 degrees, so that would be 32 on the crank. Is that what you are getting at?

24. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    #24 SoCal1, Apr 25, 2017
  25. Koenig1

Koenig1 Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2016
    Ottawa ON
    Full Name:
    Sandy
    Thank you Sir... a 'gentle' read with some positive reinforcement, much appreciated! I will start again tomorrow with 'renewed' vigor! I don't want to f--k this up and am looking for any encouragement/suggestions to getting to that goal!