Speedline Corse Challenge Wheels | FerrariChat

Speedline Corse Challenge Wheels

Discussion in '348/355' started by Scharge05, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scharge05

Scharge05 Karting

May 30, 2014
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Full Name:
    Megan Hill
    #1 Scharge05, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I would like to personally say I had a great experience with Speedline, specifically their employee Chris Jordan.
    I ordered these wheels on Feb 9th through Chris, and he kept me updated the entire way through the process.

The Challenge wheels for 348 and 355 are now made of aluminum, and are outsourced through a manufacturer called Cinel.
    If you are looking to possibly save some money and have brand new wheels, I feel as though these are a great replacement to the original.
    You can order them in White, Gold, and Black (possibly more?), I personally ordered mine in Black.

I got a photo and tracking number this morning and my wheels will be here in the States on May 1st at my home!
    These wheels are made to order, and may take a few months. Overall very happy with my purchase and experience with Speedline and Chris Jordan.

Chris's Email is [email protected] if anyone wants to reach him directly.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Is that the actual wheel?
    I like how it does not have the manufacturing codes ( assume date codes?) that the original wheels have on the out rim.
    Where they about 4k shipped?

3. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    What's the weight difference between the original magnesium challenge wheels and the aluminum one's?

I assume they are forged, not cast?

Kai

4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  5. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I spoke with Cinel directly a short while ago (posted here somewhere with weights and prices). Very friendly and prompt responses to questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have some pretty common questions.

How much for a set?
    Is it lighter than stock 355 wheels and how much lighter?
    Does it use same wheel bolts?

7. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    I think it was about £4kEuros, slightly heavier and was same wheel pattern and bolt..... sure I posted it somewhere about 6 weeks ago.....

8. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Here you are.... delivery was to UK.

8x18 kg.10.5
    10x18 kg.11.5

the cost for the set € 3168.00 + VAT 22% tot. € 3864.96

the cost of shipping in Italy € 50.00 + VAT 22%
    delivery time about 8 weeks.

9. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Today that's a bit less than $3500. shipping excluded.

10. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    Thanks for the info StuR,

For those interested in the weight difference between the new aluminum and the older magnesium speedlines, here you go:

Aluminum Speedlines weight:

Fronts: 10.5 kg or 23 lbs
    Rears: 11.5 kg or 25 lbs

Original Magnesium Speedlines weight:

Fronts: 8.6 kg or 19 lbs
    Rears: 9.1 kg or 20 lbs

ShineKen likes this.
  11. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Very welcome. Titanium bolts, remove your car mats and short haircuts should sort that difference!!!

12. Yassa

Yassa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2011
    London
    Full Name:
    Dr Yassa Hughes
    or just less trips to McDonalds at midnight :p

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    Very cool that they're forged. Sad about the weight penalty since rotating mass has a much bigger effect on performance than static weight, but it's still not a deal killer, especially since stock 348 wheels are so heavy (wheel weight is one of the very few places where I'm jealous of the 355 guys).

As always, it pays to consider weight when choosing tires. If you're considering a few options in the same performance category the lighter tire might well be the best choice. These wheels with a lighter tire would probably perform better than the originals with heavier tires and they'd be more robust/repairable to boot.

At the current asking prices for used originals these seem like the clear choice unless you're doing a period-correct restoration of a Challenge car. Kudos to Speedline for making them available again. It's nice to see that they've realized there's a market for these wheels. :)

14. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve
    What do the original stock magnesium wheels weigh?

15. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Thanks, that's what I was wondering.

Kai

16. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    As an aside I got 17kg and 20kg as weights from the main dealer for the 355 multispoke wheel - I assumed that was per pair. Can't believe an OEM wheel is that heavy?

17. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Extra 5lbs per wheel over the originals is significant.

I guess if you want the look, sure...but lighter wheels can be had for the same or less if you're looking for performance.

18. fdekeu

fdekeu Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2008
    Belzium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #18 fdekeu, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    I have a spare 355 front wheel (no tire):
    9,8 kg

19. vjlax18

vjlax18 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 12, 2014
    Nottingham, MD
    Full Name:
    John
    Comparing them to original magnesium race wheels is nice and all, but these wheels are still lighter than the stock 348 wheels.

20. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    Is it also though whether nonOEM wheels are lighter and cheaper; or that alt but OEM wheels, like the 355 multispoke, might be cheaper (£1k set) and lighter than 348, and (to some) look like a nice 18" wheel....

Another benefit of the Cinel wheel is the repair-ability and care requirements for the alloy wheel vs the mag rich original. I am sure there are mods to other bits of suspension (lighter could, caliper...?) to make up for unsprung weight issues if that is a real target....

21. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    I appreciate the original challenge wheels for the weight reduction aspects..

but in my opinion, a set of challenge wheels on a road car.. just does not match at all.
    even though they are 18's, when fitted to a road car.. they look smaller then the stock 18s
    where I see they only match on a real challenge car..

anything aftermarket 18s or challenge 18s... again simply in my opinion, just does not match the 355.. leaving the original 18's as the best match..

now since speedline is making these again.. if they would make them in 19" size.. then that would be a difference story..

22. StuR

StuR Formula Junior

Jun 14, 2005
    UK Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Stu R
    But which 355 wheel, mindful that the 355 had more than 1 OEM wheel through life (although in some markets I think the multispoke was (initially) a spider option).....

For those who have not seen Cinel's website, they do a small range of wheels.

I am not on commission:)

23. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I agree.

Would rather pay more for the wheels in magnesium.

24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #24 GerryD, Apr 26, 2017
    Just weighed my OEM wheels

Fronts 21.8 lbs
    Rears 24.4 lbs

So the new "look alike" challenge wheels are heavier than the OEM stock wheels. Makes no sense to spend that kind of money on a heavier wheel. Unsprung weight makes a ton of difference and I could feel it when I installed my challenge wheels. Since I could tell the difference, I went to titanium wheel bolts too, to save another 1 lbs + per corner and again a difference. I just dont see any benefit in spending 3500 on aluminum "look alike" challenge wheels when you can find very good OEM challenge wheels for about the same or a bit more.
    But again, that's just my opinion.

25. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #25 GerryD, Apr 26, 2017
    Don't know where you get the impression that challenge wheels look different on a road car than a challenge car. Both cars have the same body. I have the original speedline challenge wheels on both my road and challenge cars and they look exactly the same other than the brakes being lager in the background on the challenge car.