Red fobs and code | FerrariChat

Red fobs and code

Discussion in '348/355' started by Robbe, Apr 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Hi all,
    my 355 (97 spider) came with a working red fob, and a tag with a code.
    Plus, surprisingly, an extra non-functional red fob.
    The working red fob works perfectly.
    But as the other, non working red fob puzzled me, I changed the battery to see if it would also work on my car.
    Well, it didn't.
    So, should I try to see if the alu tag with the code is correct for the car?
    Is it possible to damage anything if you use a code, while you have a working red fob as well?
    Do you learn the ecu the new code if the code is not the original, with as unwanted effect that the working fob no longer works?
    Or is there no risk to try a code, even if it is not the correct one??
    Can I try to let the second red fob learn, and have it as a spare (like a black one?)
    Or should I forget that red fob, buy a black one, and have that one learned into a spare?

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Ask Eric 355 to clone the second red

Nothing you describe will help - try a search for any old fob thread (esp in 360 or 575 section) and read Tazandjan's definitive document

3. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  4. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    #4 Robbe, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    Thanks, I downloaded the document already.

I also have a small paper sheet, containing the PIN code.
    It is different from the tags on the key ring and the Ignition key No. inside the Service Book, so that sounds normal

But do I risk damaging something when I try either code on the car?
    It is all working now, even if I only have one fob, and I do not want to risk a working system...
    Better to leave it alone?

5. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    #5 97 Spider, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    The little metal tags are the code you need to get a cut key from Ferrari. It has nothing to do with the immobilizer.

Edit: I reread what you said and see you mentioned that a different key code is written in the owners manual. Are you certain it's the original manual or a replacement someone bought when the books were lost? The metal tags are definitely code tags for cutting keys so one or the other is wrong. With the fobs etc. you obviously have parts from two cars.
    Also you wouldn't hurt anything keying in codes wether they are right or wrong, only risk is wearing out your ignition turning it a million times.

6. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    #6 Robbe, Apr 26, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Maybe I was not clear in my description, but the tags and the key code in the manual are the same.
    But as I understand, not related to the fob at all.
    I also have the Original PIN document, but I am not sure if the code has not been changed , as I have 2 reds.
    I will try to start the car with the code, and if that works, I will purchase a black fob and program it. (as then it is clear that I still have the Original red fob, and am missing 2 blacks, plus I have a non-Original red fob as souvenir...)

Thanks all for replying, by the way!

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    That is correct - the keys have nothing to do with the FOB's

The PIN can be pulled from your working red FOB (red, master only) and programmed to a black by these guys - speak with Jorge

Specialized ECU Repair, Replacement, & Testing - Restore or Exchange your Electronic Control Unit (ECU)

8. Robbe

Robbe Formula Junior

Aug 22, 2013
    The Netherlands
    Thanks for the link, but as I live in The Netherlands, Europe, I am a bit hesitant to ship it that far...
    But maybe I will need to do so anyway, because I checked the PIN code, and I can't read it!
    The paper is damaged (sort of copying carbon paper, and pressure on the outside leaves a stain), and I can only guess what it says. I checked 9 possible combinations (I think I can read the first and the last, and think the middle ones are 8,9 or 0), but none worked...