Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > 348/355 - Sponsored by Bradan

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM
F1 Veteran
Lifetime Rossa

Full Name: Robb Williamson
My Garage
I get that sense from looking at the Bradan threads. When are you planning to paint your '95?

Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave rocks View Post
Robb - the amount of stuff to take apart is insane - you will need that new garage for sure and that's not for cars - it will be for parts

Plan on a new windshield (at a minimum - new trim).

I still have not decided who will paint my 95....

AutoWeek - March 26, 1996
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Formula Junior
Rossa Subscribed

My Garage
I would go with a lighter blue to keep your black interior color. I think the Azzurro Cal would look good with a black interior. And if that is the color you like best, even with the AZ sun, that is the way I would go.

My favorite blue hue is Azzurro that is on my 308. It is a metallic, darker than the Az.Ca., and came with either blue or tan interior. TdF as you noted has that purple hue that you notice in the garage, but looks nice and deep blue in full sunlight.

Example shots of both colors....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 922792_516905171705310_1310273326_n.jpg (48.0 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02112.jpg (46.1 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9046.jpg (60.9 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg image3.jpg (130.8 KB, 167 views)

Last edited by John M; 05-19-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Luke
Yellow is my favorite color on a 355 but the Nart Blue and Blue Chiaro look absolutely lovey. I think they are light enough to work with your black interior. Beige, crema, or Cuoio interior would look perfect but black would look good too (in my newbie experience).

Is it an option to buy a beater to restore and keep your yellow 355?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:09 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Tim Dee
My Garage
Kinda goes like this.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg horrible idea.jpg (42.6 KB, 164 views)
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-19-2017, 12:10 PM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

Full Name: Dave Lelonek
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb View Post
When are you planning to paint your '95?

Robb
A) When I stop working so much and get my life back so I can take the rest of the car apart

B) When I find a shop I'm comfortable with.

We will be adding a new, custom paint booth this year but the type of design we are doing won't allow for a full car spray and I also don't have the room in my shop or an area to contain the prep work dust so as much as I'd love to paint it myself, that's not in the cards now.

No Stick-On Decals - All Graphics Laser Etched

Durable, Mar - Resistant Coatings

www.stickyrxrs.com dave.lelonek@stickyrxrs.com
Old 05-19-2017, 12:43 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Robb,

It's one thing to do a repaint, another to properly do a color change. I sure I don't have to tell you that. Be patient and wait for the right car. Took me 4 years, but I found what I wanted in the condition I wanted at the price I wanted.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:49 PM
F1 World Champ
Sponsor

Full Name: BRADAN
We have done 19 color changes so far on F355s, most guys go with a retro color not offered originally during production. The cool thing is Ferrari is offering most of those colors on new cars so you have a chance of seeing them in person now. I would narrow it down to 3-5 colors and have your shop spray samples to pick from. Once you find 1 color you love have a body panel sprayed in that color and carry it around with you for the day to compare in different lighting.

It's a good idea to do it during a major service as you mentioned. With the engine out of the car you avoid the mess from removing paint getting in the engine bay and can pull out the radiators/scoops to paint inside the door jams.

Try to paint strip the flat panels to avoid warping them and sand blast all the edges and hard to reach places. Glasurit zinc chromite primer is an awesome base to start with if your going down to bare metal which I recommend. F355s tend to hide rust in the 1/4 panel seams and under the door jams. Also take advantage of the bare metal and weld the 1/4 panel seams to avoid flex cracking in the future.

If you guys have any body questions feel free to email me at Bradangroup@gmail.com I can try to save your shop some headaches.
Tel 631-585-8600
www.bradangroup.com
Instagram/facebook @bradangroup
Bradangroup@gmail.com
Old 05-19-2017, 02:16 PM
Formula 3
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Kevin
Blu sera is metallic - my car is blu sera metallica FER 504/C. So badass they even called it "Metallica"... :P

That said it can have a purple cast to it so if you don't care for that this may not be your color.

K
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170424_060401.jpg (150.9 KB, 146 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 02:44 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brian White
Quote:
Not in the sun but looks nice. All the blue cars are in Europe........
Not anymore!
Old 05-19-2017, 02:47 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Brian White
Quote:
I think blue sera is not metallic. One of the best colors though.

Robb
Blu sera is metallic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (42.4 KB, 139 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:13 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mike
FYI: My interior is original (1995), has only seen blue jeans, but jean stain issues here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (89.2 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 04:19 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Since you asked for opinions I'll throw mine out there-- unless you just *have* to have a color not available on 355s I'd suggest buying another car. It's much easier to sort a car mechanically than it is to get one painted correctly, especially when a color change is involved. The car will not be original anymore, and it won't be the same after having been taken apart to that level unless the work is done by true concour$ re$toration $peciali$t$.

I'm not a fan of color-changed cars because they're almost never truly right. If you do decide on a color change I'd vote for darker blue over lighter blue, especially in bright sun. Also, while I used to really dislike black interiors (thought they were too gloomy) I appreciate them a lot more now that I own one. I'd prefer Cuoio with a darker blue though.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-19-2017, 04:30 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTMD8 View Post
I always thought this was a great combo. Blu scuro/tobacco

https://www.findaluxurycar.com/1995-...ta--c-3001.htm
That was ASK's(Andrew,s) car. I think that is a beautiful blue on that car. Robb, black is a neutral color, so most colors will work with it, which is why I like it. If I was going to change the color and was limiting myself to just colors offered by Ferrari, this would be it. However if it wasn't marque limited, other brands offer some very nice choices. I would be glad to help.

I agree with Jim on the color, but I don't care for the tobacco interior.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mike View Post
Since you asked for opinions I'll throw mine out there-- unless you just *have* to have a color not available on 355s I'd suggest buying another car. It's much easier to sort a car mechanically than it is to get one painted correctly, especially when a color change is involved. The car will not be original anymore, and it won't be the same after having been taken apart to that level unless the work is done by true concour$ re$toration $peciali$t$.

I'm not a fan of color-changed cars because they're almost never truly right. If you do decide on a color change I'd vote for darker blue over lighter blue, especially in bright sun. Also, while I used to really dislike black interiors (thought they were too gloomy) I appreciate them a lot more now that I own one. I'd prefer Cuoio with a darker blue though.
I agree with a good portion of this with some exceptions:

If Robb is not concerned about resale or the investment (which won't be sort money), the benefits are great. 355's don't have thick paint. Whatever blue car he finds is likely to have rock chips, micro scratches, etc. Fresh paint will resolve those issues and if done properly, will afford a few good corrections.

I never set out to paint my project car and I do have great concerns but I've gone so far, it's just a bit foolish to not go the rest of the way in the restoration.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM
F1 Rookie
Silver Subscribed

Robb, you inspired me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 111-painting_car.jpg (50.6 KB, 120 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 05:06 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
I agree with a good portion of this with some exceptions:

If Robb is not concerned about resale or the investment (which won't be sort money), the benefits are great. 355's don't have thick paint. Whatever blue car he finds is likely to have rock chips, micro scratches, etc. Fresh paint will resolve those issues and if done properly, will afford a few good corrections.

I never set out to paint my project car and I do have great concerns but I've gone so far, it's just a bit foolish to not go the rest of the way in the restoration.
Fair enough, but I'd rather buy a car in the color I wanted and repaint it than to do a color change, even if I had to do some mechanical sorting as well. Now, if he wants a color that's extremely rare or unavailable on 355s that's another story.

I don't mind resprays if they're done well but not a fan of color-changed cars in most cases. The newer the car, the more difficult it is to do a proper color change and the 355 is new enough that a truly righteous color change is extremely labor intensive. It'd be a different story if we were talking about a 246 Dino, for example.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 PM
F1 Veteran
Sponsor

My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mike View Post
Fair enough, but I'd rather buy a car in the color I wanted and repaint it than to do a color change, even if I had to do some mechanical sorting as well. Now, if he wants a color that's extremely rare or unavailable on 355s that's another story.

I don't mind resprays if they're done well but not a fan of color-changed cars in most cases. The newer the car, the more difficult it is to do a proper color change and the 355 is new enough that a truly righteous color change is extremely labor intensive. It'd be a different story if we were talking about a 246 Dino, for example.
Robb is talking about a bare metal respray so a color change is a moot point.....

Old 05-19-2017, 05:20 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: L.C.
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk... View Post
Robb, you inspired me.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:25 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Robb is talking about a bare metal respray so a color change is a moot point.....
Perhaps it is to most people but it's not moot to me. Look at the pics of the most recent car Bradan is doing-- they did not fully strip the inner door panels, etc. I suspect there are other areas not shown in the pics that weren't fully stripped as well. That kind of stuff bugs me because sooner or later I'll see it if I keep the car long enough since I do my own work.

But even if you don't consider that to be a big deal the level of disassembly required is still a factor. I seriously doubt most people will put the car back together again as well as it came from the factory. There are certainly people out there who can do so, but they're few and far between and they charge accordingly.

If you respray a car that's already the color you want going to bare metal may not be necessary, or even advisable, and it certainly wouldn't require the level of disassembly needed for a decent color change.

I can see doing it on a tatty car that needs a lot of work anyway but I can't imagine taking a nice car that far apart for no other reason than just to change colors. Heck, the 355 looks good in most colors so speaking for myself it'd be easier to learn to love the color I bought than it would to deal with the issues presented by a color change. I suspect it'd be easier for me to find someone with a nice example in the color I wanted and swap with them than it would be for me to be satisfied with a color changed car.

That's just me-- Robb asked for opinions so I thought I'd offer mine. The best decisions come from considering a full spectrum of advice.
Old 05-19-2017, 06:36 PM
F1 Veteran
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Tim Dee
My Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk... View Post
Robb, you inspired me.
You got my touch up color LOL
Non-Sponsor Ads